The Student Room Group

UK citizen non-resident. Finance matter help ?!

hello,

I'm in my 3rd year as an undergrad at a moroccan university,im actually going in exchange this semester to france. My father is british and lives in the uk (parents seperated always lived with mom). I never lived in the uk, i have a bank account in england. I'm registered with a local g.p but didnt pay him a visit since 2007.

I was wondering if there was any way for me to pay home tuiton fees instead of international fees for my post graduate course ? Since i should be a resident which im not.

Do you think that i would be a eligible for a student loan ?

Any additional information would be helpful

Thanks,

S
No you are not British, you have never lived in the UK and you won't be studying in the UK. Not even British students get funded to study abroad, unless it's part of the course. Why do you think you should be subsidised, and why would you be given a student loan when you live in morocco and there would be no way of getting the loan back off you, if you return to Morrocco. I don't think you should be even asking this question.
Reply 2
Original post by louisewestlake
No you are not British, you have never lived in the UK and you won't be studying in the UK. Not even British students get funded to study abroad, unless it's part of the course. Why do you think you should be subsidised, and why would you be given a student loan when you live in morocco and there would be no way of getting the loan back off you, if you return to Morrocco. I don't think you should be even asking this question.

I'm a british citizen by descent , my father is british !
I'm not a resident of the UK, my father IS, he payed taxes to the british gov all his working life..
I was just curious about the loan, i asked for information. In case i did get a loan i will repay every peny of it.
You will be able to qualify for home fees if you have lived in the UK 3 years prior to the start of your course, in some cases you might be able to get home fees if your family has owned or maintained a property in the UK.
Original post by sarrahs
I'm a british citizen by descent , my father is british !
I'm not a resident of the UK, my father IS, he payed taxes to the british gov all his working life..
I was just curious about the loan, i asked for information. In case i did get a loan i will repay every peny of it.

Loans and fees are based on residency, not citizenship. I think the poster is wrong to say you are not British, but that is not relevant here. Qualifying for a student loan is based on where you have lived for the last 3 years, and although your father has lived in the UK, you say you've never lived with him- so you'd be seen as being resident in Morocco. Do you have any proof (beyond the GP), that you've ever lived at his address?

This is quite a common situation, and I know of several British students who have grown up oversees, who don't realise until they apply that they are classed as an international or EU student for the purposes of finance.

Citizenship only really comes into it if you would need to apply for a student visa.
Reply 5
Original post by 0justsmile0
You will be able to qualify for home fees if you have lived in the UK 3 years prior to the start of your course, in some cases you might be able to get home fees if your family has owned or maintained a property in the UK.

Thank you very much for your answer!
when you say family, besides my father. Can my sister qualify ? She currently owns 3 properties in the uk.
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Loans and fees are based on residency, not citizenship. I think the poster is wrong to say you are not British, but that is not relevant here. Qualifying for a student loan is based on where you have lived for the last 3 years, and although your father has lived in the UK, you say you've never lived with him- so you'd be seen as being resident in Morocco. Do you have any proof (beyond the GP), that you've ever lived at his address?

This is quite a common situation, and I know of several British students who have grown up oversees, who don't realise until they apply that they are classed as an international or EU student for the purposes of finance.

Citizenship only really comes into it if you would need to apply for a student visa.

Well apart from being registered with the NHS; with a local GP, I have a bank account with a UK address, that's all, no other proof of residency at my dad's house.

So even if my father is a permanent resident of the U.K and my sister too. And the fact that I'm a British citizen, I will be considered as an international student and will have to pay international fees no doubt about it ?
Original post by sarrahs
Well apart from being registered with the NHS; with a local GP, I have a bank account with a UK address, that's all, no other proof of residency at my dad's house.

So even if my father is a permanent resident of the U.K and my sister too. And the fact that I'm a British citizen, I will be considered as an international student and will have to pay international fees no doubt about it ?

Unfortunately it's based on your residency, so your citizenship and parental / sibling residency is fairly irrelevant.

If you won't be able to afford to do a degree in the UK with international fee status, your only real option will be to come here and live / work in the UK for 3 years and then go to uni (eg moving here in September 2015 would enable you to start your degree in September 2018).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarrahs

As Origami Bullets says, citizenship is largely irrelevant. As an example I had a friend at uni who is a UK citizen and lived in the UK until she was 10. Both her parents are UK citizens and she has no other nationality. She lived in other EU countries between the ages of 10-18 and so was considered an EU student for the basis of fees, as was her brother.

The fact that your dad and sister live here isn't really relevant, because it's unlikely you could persuade anyone that you have been living with them for the past 3 years.

You could contact individual universities and see if any of them would treat you as a home student, but in this situation, it's very unlikely. For the purposes of student finance, you would be considered an international student.
It has to be for 3 years before the start of the course for reaosns other than education too.
Reply 10
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions that's very kind of you. I will now start looking elsewhere for a master as the international fees are unaffordable. Even though i really want to study in the UK.
Reply 11
Original post by sarrahs
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions that's very kind of you. I will now start looking elsewhere for a master as the international fees are unaffordable. Even though i really want to study in the UK.

who can blame you? But it's outrageous that full British nationals cannot afford to study in their home country while funding is made available to EU and Swiss citizens, children of Turkish migrants, asylum seekers and more!:angry:
Reply 12
Original post by Mellomum
who can blame you? But it's outrageous that full British nationals cannot afford to study in their home country while funding is made available to EU and Swiss citizens, children of Turkish migrants, asylum seekers and more!:angry:

Well it is what it is ! We can do nothing about that, i was hoping that there was a loophole of some sort, but unfortunately there isn't any, apart from residing in the uk for a straight 3 years, im not willing to take any timeout of university!

Thanks for your answer
Totally agree with you, UK nationals get a raw deal- even if student loans are not available there should be a system to charge home fees only to uk nationals as most have strong links back to the UK and parents have paid years of tax before leaving the UK.
Reply 14
Original post by Nessasayz
Totally agree with you, UK nationals get a raw deal- even if student loans are not available there should be a system to charge home fees only to uk nationals as most have strong links back to the UK and parents have paid years of tax before leaving the UK.

well said! Bizarrely the universities apply these rules somewhat arbitrarily; I know several genuinely overseas students who were actually OFFERED home/UK status even when they weren't seeking it.
Original post by Mellomum
well said! Bizarrely the universities apply these rules somewhat arbitrarily; I know several genuinely overseas students who were actually OFFERED home/UK status even when they weren't seeking it.

The rules are set by student finance. Unis assess people, but I suspect that in the above cases, somewhere along the line (probably when they sent in their SFE application) someone would have spotted the error and their international status would have been reinstated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nessasayz

Equally, though, people who's parents have been resident in the UK for (say) the last 10 years, but aren't British citizens may have paid lots of tax into the system and may have provided essential services within the UK. Equally, if the children have strong links to the UK, they are possibly more likely to stay in the UK than those who's immediate family and most of their friends live abroad. If someone lives in the UK after their degree, it's much easier for student finance to make sure their loans get repaid.

Also, finance is divided up between England, NI, Scotland and Wales, and all have different systems. For someone who has UK citizenship, but has never lived in the UK, how would you decide which system they came under?

Quick Reply

Latest