The Student Room Group

Should computer gaming be an olympic sport?

Scroll to see replies

Olympic sport? do you really think about gaming can be an olympic event? gaming has nothing to do with sports! a gaming competition called as an 'gaming olympia', yes, that makes sense, but not an event at olympia!
Original post by Kallisto
Olympic sport? do you really think about gaming can be an olympic event? gaming has nothing to do with sports! a gaming competition called as an 'gaming olympia', yes, that makes sense, but not an event at olympia!

if chess is considered a sport, there is no reason computer games can't be considered one either.
Original post by Fango_Jett
if chess is considered a sport, there is no reason computer games can't be considered one either.

I don't know that chess is an olympic event. :lol:

Joke aside! in terms of the word sports, people should distinguish between mental and physical sports. In my opinion an olympic event can be accepted as such whenever its a physical sport. From this point of view chess is rightly not an olympic event till this day. Do you think gaming is a physical sports?
I don't know that chess is an olympic event. :lol:

Joke aside! in terms of the word sports, people should distinguish between mental and physical sports. In my opinion an olympic event can be accepted as such whenever its a physical sport. From this point of view chess is rightly not an olympic event till this day. Do you think gaming is a physical sports?

It's not an Olympic event, but it is recognised, along with some other board games, as a sport by the IOC.

And I guess you haven't heard about some of the early olympic events then?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well being it physical shape will help with your mental faculties.

Exactly

By the way, it's "in", as opposed to "it" :wink:
Original post by Jammy Duel
(...)
And I guess you haven't heard about some of the early olympic events then?

Do you mean golf? you are wrong, I have. And to be honest, I don't get it! physical sports is whenever muscles are used to achieve certain physical goals. How many muscles are used in golf and in what an extent?
i think TSR posting should be included; it requires hours of dedicated practice and superb online skillz to become a top level poster.
Do you mean golf? you are wrong, I have. And to be honest, I don't get it! physical sports is whenever muscles are used to achieve certain physical goals. How many muscles are used in golf and in what an extent?

In the early days the Olympics were to exercise mind, as well as body, as such there were competitions in the arts included, 1912-48

Town planning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_Olympic_Games

---
Tbh I'm opposed on the grounds that pro gaming is already highly developed and lucrative, if you let it in now the olympic final wouldn't be the biggest event in the gaming calendar the way it is for many other sports.

IMO the olympics should be the peak attainment possible in all the events it consists of, I'd kick out tennis for the same reason - you don't want competitors at the olympics who only half care if they win or not because the olympics is not the peak event in that sport.
Original post by Joinedup
Town planning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_Olympic_Games

---
Tbh I'm opposed on the grounds that pro gaming is already highly developed and lucrative, if you let it in now the olympic final wouldn't be the biggest event in the gaming calendar the way it is for many other sports.

IMO the olympics should be the peak attainment possible in all the events it consists of, I'd kick out tennis for the same reason - you don't want competitors at the olympics who only half care if they win or not because the olympics is not the peak event in that sport.

Are there actually many events where the Olympics actually are the highlight? And that final statement should be irrelevant, if you're at the top of the sport it shouldn't matter whether the Olympics is the biggest event, after all, in Tennis they still try their hardest to win even at the events that aren't grand slams, for instance.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Are there actually many events where the Olympics actually are the highlight? And that final statement should be irrelevant, if you're at the top of the sport it shouldn't matter whether the Olympics is the biggest event, after all, in Tennis they still try their hardest to win even at the events that aren't grand slams, for instance.

I've picked on tennis but there's already a lot of junk in the current mix imo.

Certainly helps market the olympics as an event worth watching if it's the undisputed world pinnacle - the administrators don't want to weaken their brand by lumping every possible sport into it imo.

if for some health reason Murray had to drop either a grand slam event or an olympics which way do you think he'd choose?
Original post by Joinedup
I've picked on tennis but there's already a lot of junk in the current mix imo.

Certainly helps market the olympics as an event worth watching if it's the undisputed world pinnacle - the administrators don't want to weaken their brand by lumping every possible sport into it imo.

if for some health reason Murray had to drop either a grand slam event or an olympics which way do you think he'd choose?

The Olympics, espeically if it were Wimbledon or Olympics
Original post by the bear
i think TSR posting should be included; it requires hours of dedicated practice and superb online skillz to become a top level poster.

But TSR posting doesn't have 30 million people watching it.
Reply 93
No.and stop kidding.because most computer games are ment for kids to enjoy and not competition.
Original post by vmama
No.and stop kidding.because most computer games are ment for kids to enjoy and not competition.

Well people will always want to compete which is why we see championships in scrabble, othello backgammon

for the 2012 olympics we were told there'd be a fantastic legacy of children and young people being inspired into taking up healthy physical sport and therefore counteracting the obesity epidemic affecting the UK and other western nations... it's a big part of the marketing of the olympics these days.

people don't need that encouragement to sit on their butts in darkened rooms playing computer games for hours - they'll prefer to do that anyway. Computer games would be a bad fit with what the olympics is trying to represent today.

Quick Reply

Latest