Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daalchaval
Anyone got offers for Politics or IR?

I applied about a month ago (haven't heard anything yet), have they given you an offer?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Is anyone applying for natural science in Grey? I havent got offer. But before they sent me an e-mail and said "we have made a recommendation to the uni that you be made an offer. Due to the high volume of appliacations it may takes a few weeks for an official to be uploaded onto UCAS Track" Is it means i wll get an offer from them ? I am so confused now.
nothing yet...just waitingggggggg
Original post by Studentlife9876
Does anyone know how important AS grades are to get an offer? I got AABB at AS and been predicted A*AA which is what I need but I'm worried that my grades ruin my chances. I have a good set of gcse results and my personal statement is okay so what are my chances of getting an offer?
Thanks

Don't worry you will be fine. I got AAAB at AS with a B in Law no less and still got offered place to read Law at Durham. Good LNAT score, good PS and good predicted grades (which you have) are the most important things.
Original post by daalchaval
nothing yet...just waitingggggggg

I waited 7 months for my offer 2 year ago...
Original post by GracePei
Is anyone applying for natural science in Grey? I havent got offer. But before they sent me an e-mail and said "we have made a recommendation to the uni that you be made an offer. Due to the high volume of appliacations it may takes a few weeks for an official to be uploaded onto UCAS Track" Is it means i wll get an offer from them ? I am so confused now.

Are you an international student? If so, I am pretty sure (95%) that this constitutes an offer albeit an unofficial one until they submit it on UCAS :smile: congrats
Hey guys, quick question - can you change your college choice from the one you put on your UCAS form?
Reply 167
Original post by dancinginglitter
Hey guys, quick question - can you change your college choice from the one you put on your UCAS form?

It depends when you sent off your ucas I think! If youve already got an offer then I dont think you can change it except in exceptional circumstances Im afraid :/ but you might end up in the college you want anyway if the one youve put on your form is too full! :smile:
Original post by J3SS742
It depends when you sent off your ucas I think! If youve already got an offer then I dont think you can change it except in exceptional circumstances Im afraid :/ but you might end up in the college you want anyway if the one youve put on your form is too full! :smile:

Ah okay, thank you! Who gets served first then like college wise, how do they decide who gets their first choice if it's a competitive college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Esteta
Has anyone heard anything back from the pharmacy school?

Hopefully you'll get a reply soon! In the meantime if you have any questions about the course or just Queens Campus in general please don't hesitate to PM me :smile: I'm currently in my first year of Pharmacy at Durham Uni
Original post by emmaprsn
Hopefully you'll get a reply soon! In the meantime if you have any questions about the course or just Queens Campus in general please don't hesitate to PM me :smile: I'm currently in my first year of Pharmacy at Durham Uni

Ah god! I just really want to get into Durham University for pharmacy i think its my first choice. I was wondering how much human biology you learn about in the first year? Also what are the chemistry / biology practicals like? Do you find it the work load ok as well?

Thank you emma :smile:
Original post by Esteta
Ah god! I just really want to get into Durham University for pharmacy i think its my first choice. I was wondering how much human biology you learn about in the first year? Also what are the chemistry / biology practicals like? Do you find it the work load ok as well?

Thank you emma :smile:

We study anatomy on cadavers in the first term and you learn more or less everything you need to know in those 7 sessions! It's really interesting to actually learn from a human body instead of a textbook, it really helps you visualise what everything looks like and how it fits together within the body :smile:

The chemistry practicals are really interesting! This term we made all sorts of drugs such as paracetamol and bupropion. The first couple of sessions are kind of hectic because you need to get used to all the equipment very quickly (that's when I realised how old the chemistry equipment was at my high school!) but they're really enjoyable and there's always a lecturer or lab technician on hand to answer any questions or help you out if something goes wrong! We haven't done many biology practicals yet, something to look forward to for next term!

The workload in first term wasn't too bad, we have reports to hand in throughout January and February but they're pretty straightforward. Next term's supposed to be more full on though according to the lecturers!

Overall I'd say that Durham is a great first choice, I definitely don't regret coming here! The campus is really nice too despite not being in Durham itself, and the uni experience is definitely enhanced by having the colleges, they're like a second family!
If you have any other questions don't hesitate to PM me, hope to see you in September! :biggrin:
Reply 172
Original post by dancinginglitter
Ah okay, thank you! Who gets served first then like college wise, how do they decide who gets their first choice if it's a competitive college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not too sure haha! I think its pretty random but they try to get a balance of students studying different subjects so its not all students doing one subject or something :smile:
Reply 173
has anyone got any offers for History yet?
Original post by MaiaTC
has anyone got any offers for History yet?

Applied to Ancient, Medieval and Modern History mid-December. Haven't heard a thing! My friend also applied in October for straight History and hasn't heard. Have you heard anyone hearing from History or Ancient/Classics?
Reply 175
I'm exactly the same as your friend- straight history in early October and nothing!! Actually haven't heard of anyone I know getting a Durham offer yet but not that many people I know applied so i have no idea really.
Original post by MaiaTC
I'm exactly the same as your friend- straight history in early October and nothing!! Actually haven't heard of anyone I know getting a Durham offer yet but not that many people I know applied so i have no idea really.

He had his interview at Cambridge last month, so he's obviously a strong candidate, and hopefully that means they're just waiting it out until the deadline. I want to go to Durham soooooo badly! I got an offer from Kings College London for History which they say there is 12 applicants per place for the History department, so do you think I stand a chance for Durham? Last night I read they give offers to around 30% of applicants for the History Department. I got 2a*, 3a and 4b in my GCSEs and i'm scared they will do a 'cut off' thing with GCSEs despite a strong PS and AS', since there are so many excellent candidates. :frown:
Reply 177
I really want to go too...I find out about Oxford tomorrow so that will basically make my decision for me. I honestly have no idea- you sound like a strong candidate to me but you never know what they're looking for tbh. All i will say is that as long as your AS levels are good GCSEs are totally irrelevant- you did fine though so no worries there. Don't stress! It will be fine whatever happens
Original post by MaiaTC
I really want to go too...I find out about Oxford tomorrow so that will basically make my decision for me. I honestly have no idea- you sound like a strong candidate to me but you never know what they're looking for tbh. All i will say is that as long as your AS levels are good GCSEs are totally irrelevant- you did fine though so no worries there. Don't stress! It will be fine whatever happens

My friend is hearing back for History of Art from Oxford tomorrow too! I think considering they only interviewed 34% of applicants in 2014, her getting an interview was an achievement in itself. Hopefully she'll get in. The Ancient and Modern History joint honours at Oxford looked amazing. How did you think the interview went? Have you got any other offers?

Thank you. That's reassuring. I suppose there is nothing I can do now anyway. I got an offer from King's College, and their course looks amazing, so i'd be more than happy to go there. It's just quite expensive, so Durham or York is quite appealing. Of course they are the two left to get back to me lol
Original post by sootyrabbit123
Hey,
I am applying for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History at Durham, but have not got an offer yet, so a bit anxious.
Just wondering if any historians have got offers from Durham, as I know they can take their time!?

:smile::smile:

Hi! I've applied for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History too and haven't heard yet. :frown: Have you or anyone else? I wonder when people generally hear? I hope they don't have me waiting until late April lol :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest