The Student Room Group

Dog abandoned at train station with belongings left in a suitcase next to him

Spoiler

'BBC News'
An animal charity is attempting to trace the owner of a dog that was abandoned at a railway station with its belongings in a suitcase.

The male Shar-Pei crossbreed was discovered tied to a railing outside Ayr station on 2 January.

The suitcase included the dog's pillow, toy, food bowl and food.

The Scottish SPCA traced a previous owner through the dog's microchip but were told it was sold in 2013 to someone they did not have details for.

Inspector Stewart Taylor said: "The dog is micro-chipped and we were able to find out his name is Kai.

"We contacted the owner registered to the microchip, who stated they had sold Kai on Gumtree in 2013.
'Cruel incident'

"Unfortunately they could not tell us the address of the person who bought him."

Insp Taylor said the case highlighted the potential consequences of selling an animal online. He said buyers often included people acting on impulse who knew very little about animals.

The charity reminded pet owners that abandoning an animal is an offence under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.

I find this so sad. The fact a suitcase was packed for the dog makes it all the more saddening. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

My heart hearts :frown:
Reply 2
Poor dog :frown:
I don't feel sad at all it's only a dog.
This isn't really a sad story at all. The previous owner clearly didn't/couldn't look after the dog so they abandoned him somewhere that they knew he would be found.

It would have been sad if the dog was found dead in a ditch.
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
This isn't really a sad story at all. The previous owner clearly didn't/couldn't look after the dog so they abandoned him somewhere that they knew he would be found.

It would have been sad if the dog was found dead in a ditch.

There was no need to abandon the dog, though. Charities like the RSPCA and Dogs Trust will take in dogs that people are unable to look after. Simply abandoning a dog somewhere with a suitcase is the quick, cowards way out in my opinion.
Original post by Reluire
There was no need to abandon the dog, though. Charities like the RSPCA and Dogs Trust will take in dogs that people are unable to look after. Simply abandoning a dog somewhere with a suitcase is the quick, cowards way out in my opinion.

The dog got the intended place. That is all that matters.
Poor dog :sad:
Reply 8
The dog got the intended place. That is all that matters.

I don't accept 'the end justifies the means' argument. It would set a bad precedent to suggest that abandoning animals in public places is okay because they'll get to the right place in the end anyway. Owners need to take responsibility for the welfare of the animals in their care.
Original post by Reluire
I don't accept 'the end justifies the means' argument. It would set a bad precedent to suggest that abandoning animals in public places is okay because they'll get to the right place in the end anyway. Owners need to take responsibility for the welfare of the animals in their care.

Why can't you just be happy that the owner made some effort to get the dog to the right place.

They could have just as easily killed the dog and left it in a ditch.

Always look on the bright side of life.
Why can't you just be happy that the owner made some effort to get the dog to the right place.

Do you look at the keyboard when you type, or just mash it and hope that the result resembles a recognised language?

It doesn't matter that more than a handful people all failed to assassinate Hitler, why can't you just be happy that they at least made the effort? They could have just as easily not tried to kill him :h:

Making an effort would've been to give the dog to a dog rehoming place instead of leaving it tied to a lamp post, which little to zero effort went into. Even if you take all morality and logic out of the equation, the above is basic common sense. That you're seemingly refusing to understand that is truly baffling.
Reply 11

So by your logic if your parents decided to disown you as a child they should have dumped you in some inner city area rather than going directly to an orphanage?
Original post by Drunk Punx
Do you look at the keyboard when you type, or just mash it and hope that the result resembles a recognised language?

It doesn't matter that more than a handful people all failed to assassinate Hitler, why can't you just be happy that they at least made the effort? They could have just as easily not tried to kill him :h:

Making an effort would've been to give the dog to a dog rehoming place instead of leaving it tied to a lamp post, which little to zero effort went into. Even if you take all morality and logic out of the equation, the above is basic common sense. That you're seemingly refusing to understand that is truly baffling.

Normally when I type I slam my face into the the keyboard in the hope that some coherent English might come out.

All I said it that the story is not really sad because it isn't a sad story. It is a happy story. The dog is in care.

Look on the bright side.
Original post by Dexa
So by your logic if your parents decided to disown you as a child they should have dumped you in some inner city area rather than going directly to an orphanage?

It is better than dumping them in a field in the middle of nowhere.
Reply 14
It is better than dumping them in a field in the middle of nowhere.

Why not in some sort of waterproof casket and dropped into the depths of the ocean for military ships to find on their sonar? I mean as long as the intention is there for them to be found.
Original post by Dexa
Why not in some sort of waterproof casket and dropped into the depths of the ocean for military ships to find on their sonar? I mean as long as the intention is there for them to be found.

Now you are clutching at straws. The two is not even vaguely comparable.
Normally when I type I slam my face into the the keyboard in the hope that some coherent English might come out.

All I said it that the story is not really sad because it isn't a sad story. It is a happy story. The dog is in care.

Look on the bright side.

The conclusion is, at best, relieving. The abandonment of an animal by its carer is sad, that it was abandoned at a train station and not given to an animal rescue place is sad. 2 parts sad + 1 part relieving =/= a happy story.

I don't want to invoke Godwin's Law twice in the same thread, but just because people rejoiced at the death of Hitler it doesn't make WW2 a happy experience.
:frown: :frown: so sad. I hate news stories like this
Original post by Drunk Punx
The conclusion is, at best, relieving. The abandonment of an animal by its carer is sad, that it was abandoned at a train station and not given to an animal rescue place is sad. 2 parts sad + 1 part relieving =/= a happy story.

I don't want to invoke Godwin's Law twice in the same thread, but just because people rejoiced at the death of Hitler it doesn't make WW2 a happy experience.

Fair point.

I still taking to as a happy story though. The dogs is in care and not dead.
Original post by bittr n swt
I don't feel sad at all it's only a dog.

you don't feel sad "at all"? not even 1%? but it's a matter of suffering that isn't negated by differentiating between species - dogs suffer and feel pain/hunger loneliness just like humans - what makes you not sympathetic to dogs but sympathetic assumably towards humans? because you're a human and not a dog? how is this something that changes anything? I'm white and not starving, but I feel sympathies towards black starving children while Im not a child or black, for instance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending