The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
What keepers are available though?

Yea lot of talk that there was a £20mil release clause in Bony's contract in the summer which probably makes more sense than £16mil on Balotelli

Throw cash at Cech maybe?

I heard Swansea wanted £25 or so million for Bony in the summer and we weren't willing to pay that fee. Looks like Man City are buying him for £30 million.
Original post by Zerforax
What keepers are available though?

Yea lot of talk that there was a £20mil release clause in Bony's contract in the summer which probably makes more sense than £16mil on Balotelli

Cech

I reckon Begović would be available for a reasonable price, but it's whether we'd be willing to get near to the uk goalkeeping record in terms of ££... again
Original post by Angry cucumber
Cech

I reckon Begović would be available for a reasonable price, but it's whether we'd be willing to get near to the uk goalkeeping record in terms of ££... again

We getting neto, 3m. Trust. Also if we brought berahino for £20m or more, I would probably go ahead and kill myself
A world class manager is needed to attract world class players.

Speaking the truth there.
Original post by The.Joker
Throw cash at Cech maybe?

I heard Swansea wanted £25 or so million for Bony in the summer and we weren't willing to pay that fee. Looks like Man City are buying him for £30 million.

Cech

I think Chelsea would refuse to sell to us. Don't forget that they let Schwarzer join Leicester which means they don't have a backup to Courtois which will mean Cech stays till at least the summer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30703964

Steven Gerrard says he would not be leaving Liverpool if the club had offered him a contract last summer.

You read the rest of the article and he basically said he's leaving because he doesn't want to be a squad player. Actually good he's moving on since him staying would have only worked if he accepted he was going to have a bit part role.
Elsewhere on Merseyside, the gleen is wearing off Martinez's halo...
Original post by Mackay
Bony's off to City, then.

source?
that's a real shame tbh.

don't really know who else we could get up front now.
we'll probably go stupid and pay 5m for origi or 25m for berahino now.

Cech

Cech is definitely my first option although chelsea aren't exactly nice to us.
begovic hasn't been amazing this season though - he hasn't been bad by any means but i question whether he'd just be similar to mignolet; going to a bigger club and bottling it.
Original post by jshep000
We getting neto, 3m. Trust. Also if we brought berahino for £20m or more, I would probably go ahead and kill myself

have you seen much of neto?
as long as we get a solid, consistent keeper i'm not really bothered how much we spend.
I'm guessing those links to Ochoa died

I seem to remember us being confirmed as to have agreed a deal
I'd love neto/cech, a solid CB (varane maybe doubt he would come though), and a striker such as higauin/vietto we have been linked with already. We only need those 3 positions, and we should be fine imo.

bloody hell, that's sorted then.
so assume now we're gonna panic and start buying players for double their value?
Original post by Lúcio
bloody hell, that's sorted then.
so assume now we're gonna panic and start buying players for double their value?

Probably Berahino. Antonio Pulisio is quite strict with discipline, hard to see them keeping faith with him now he's been charged. May as well flog him while his stock is high as 20m is an awful lot to WBA.

Idk why you didn't go for Bony and Vorm last summer. Maybe Brenton didn't want to be seen as raiding his old club?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think berahino is going anywhere, why would Pulis leave stoke for west brom and let their best player leave. Not going to happen IMO, I'll bet you he stays at west brom.
We'd probably end up spending about £40m on him anyway given our track record. Let's leave him at WBA.
Am I expecting too much to be pleasantly surprised by the club during this transfer window?

I really don't want us splurging money on Berahino...
Original post by sr90
Probably Berahino. Antonio Pulisio is quite strict with discipline, hard to see them keeping faith with him now he's been charged. May as well flog him while his stock is high as 20m is an awful lot to WBA.

Idk why you didn't go for Bony and Vorm last summer. Maybe Brenton didn't want to be seen as raiding his old club?

Posted from TSR Mobile

true, on one hand his charge could mean WBA want rid of him, but on the other hand it could mean prospective clubs don't want him either.

let's not be too hard on the guy - on form he can be excellent and he will surely grow.
but we haven't seen enough of him at a consistent high standard to warrant a 20-25m buy.

Don't think berahino is going anywhere, why would Pulis leave stoke for west brom and let their best player leave. Not going to happen IMO, I'll bet you he stays at west brom.

because of what SR90 said above.

i hope he stays at WBA because i just know if we bought him we'd overspend and he'd underperform.

He left Stoke 2 seasons ago.

Put it this way, if Liverpool make a £20m bid WBA aren't the sort of club who could turn down a bid like that. Especially for a player with attitude problems who could easily disappear off the radar within the next 12 months. They could easily use that money to sign 3 players who would instantly improve their team.

Would a player like Berahino fit in to Pulisball as well? He'd surely prefer Anichebe.
Original post by sr90
He left Stoke 2 seasons ago.

Put it this way, if Liverpool make a £20m bid WBA aren't the sort of club who could turn down a bid like that. Especially for a player with attitude problems who could easily disappear off the radar within the next 12 months. They could easily use that money to sign 3 players who would instantly improve their team.

This.

Pulis would jump at the chance to stamp his authority on the squad, too.
Milan to sign Salah on loan apparently, so we're the only team in for Shaqiri.

We've also apparently made enquiries into Jackson Martinez. No idea how true it is though.

Quick Reply

Latest