The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jshep000
LMAO had to give it a shot almost sounded logical for a moment to me hhahahahah

hahahahaha it seems legit as you got the right answer.. but notsureiffluke or what lmao took me like 4 mins to translate what u said :tongue:
Original post by BBeyond
hahahahaha it seems legit as you got the right answer.. but notsureiffluke or what lmao took me like 4 mins to translate what u said :tongue:

Ayyy. Nah I checked the mark scheme, said it was D. That was the only explanation I could think of why it would be 72 loooool
Ayyy. Nah I checked the mark scheme, said it was D. That was the only explanation I could think of why it would be 72 loooool

lmao what a guy :wink: went to all that effort just to help a friend #toplad
Original post by BBeyond
lmao what a guy :wink: went to all that effort just to help a friend #toplad

Gimmie them #ladpoints I deserve them. Man why is the year 12 thread empty... we gotta liven the place up like yr 11 times
Reply 404
35-37, 36 is the middle as its Cl2 and it is 36Cl so is +1 charged, double it and get 72? Maybe? I don't know how to explain this one either lmao:frown:

No worries cyooty, BBey helped :wink:

:lovie:
Gimmie them #ladpoints I deserve them. Man why is the year 12 thread empty... we gotta liven the place up like yr 11 times

10 lad points for that m8 :tongue: dunno been dead for agessssssssssssss everyone's revising or something :frown: yh man the gcse revision chat thread was gd banter :biggrin:
Original post by Dinaa
No worries cyooty, BBey helped :wink:

:lovie:

anytime:colondollar:

Original post by BBeyond
10 lad points for that m8 :tongue: dunno been dead for agessssssssssssss everyone's revising or something :frown: yh man the gcse revision chat thread was gd banter :biggrin:

Was GR8 BANTER. Should pick up maybe after these mocks -_-. Wait, did I explan the question right then? Or nat:eek:

Was GR8 BANTER. Should pick up maybe after these mocks -_-. Wait, did I explan the question right then? Or nat:eek:

remember when we first joined the thread and i got banned within like 1 hour :colondollar: nah i don't think so lel?
Reply 408

Will give prezzie for da help :sexface:
Nomsayin
Original post by BBeyond
remember when we first joined the thread and i got banned within like 1 hour :colondollar: nah i don't think so lel?

The chemistry gcse thread 8) The boys joined on the same day. Oh do you actually know how to explain it?
Original post by Dinaa
Will give prezzie for da help :sexface:
Nomsayin

Ayyy will return gift back:colone:
The chemistry gcse thread 8) The boys joined on the same day. Oh do you actually know how to explain it?

That was the day the thread came to life :wink: T'was a good day :tongue: Yeah I can :biggrin:
Original post by BBeyond
That was the day the thread came to life :wink: T'was a good day :tongue: Yeah I can :biggrin:

:cool:. Hit me with the explanation plserino
:cool:. Hit me with the explanation plserino

There will be 3 peaks that appear when the charge is +1 - 35x2, 35+37 and 37x2 Whichever one is listed is the answer :tongue: so in this case 35+37 is 72 which is listed so D :smile:
Original post by BBeyond
There will be 3 peaks that appear when the charge is +1 - 35x2, 35+37 and 37x2 Whichever one is listed is the answer :tongue: so in this case 35+37 is 72 which is listed so D :smile:

In this situation, you need to remember that you're looking at the isotopes inside a molecule not the abundance of the molecule which is why people get confused :colondollar:
Original post by haemo
Hi,

Someone has answered the second question for you, so I'll answer the first one.

The spectrum (x axis) is labelled with increasing m/z, and the peak furthest to the right (with the highest m/z) is called the molecular ion peak.

The peak is only called the molecular ion peak if the spectrum represents a molecule, not a single element.

The molecular ion peak tells you the total mass (Mr) of the molecule, therefore from your answers (A-D) find which molecule has an Mr of 58, which is A.

Well as you pointed out both A and B have 58 Mr

Original post by charco
In MS questions remember that the molecular ion always gives a peak at the m/e of the relative molecular mass. This eliminates C and D

There is a peak at m/e 29 suggesting [C2H5]+ or [CHO]+, both of which are present in A but not in B

Still don't get it.... So the m/e of 29 is c2h5 or CHO, how about the m/e of 57?
Original post by danconway
For the second one, you need to think about which molecules are polar and which are not. You can draw a diagram of each if it helps and see where the polarity is. You should see that tetrachloromethane has negative bits all around and a positive bit in the middle. Because of that symmetrical distribution of charge (instead of having one end being delta positive and one end being delta negative), the molecule is non-polar so isn't really affected by charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok got it thnx :wink:
Reply 415
Original post by braindead1997
Thnx.... I'll be doing a few AS subjects starting tomorrow and then A2 in may/june.... Study hard!!! Good luck to you as well!!! :smile: :biggrin:

Great. Best of luck. Im also gonna hurry and finish A2 byjan. I know its hard to study in summer and privately, but its worth the shot!
Original post by braindead1997
Thank you soooooo much!!! Now i understand it!!! God! My teacher gave it in a really messed up way and you just explained it perfectly!!! Thank you!!!!!! :biggrin:

you're welcome!
Original post by Chinensis8

Still don't get it.... So the m/e of 29 is c2h5 or CHO, how about the m/e of 57?

Ok got it thnx :wink:

loss of H from the molecular ion ...
Basically does anyone have the 2014 paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest