The Student Room Group

Girls, if your boyfriend beata you, will you stay with him?

This poll is closed

If your boyfriend beats you, will you stay with him?

Yes 3%
No 87%
Depends10%
Total votes: 31
Many girls stay in abusive relationships, some by force, some voluntarily.

I'm here to understand why a girl would want to stay with a man who physically beats them regularly. I don't think having good moments is a good excuse.
Having kids, financially depending on them also isn't a good enough reason.
If you're scared then the police can help

Guys can answer too if it were your partner

Scroll to see replies

It's like the male version of "If you can't handle me at my best, you don't deserve me at my worst"

Honestly woman-beating disgusts me, I would never employ a man convicted of that, even if it was years in the past
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm a guy, but I'd leave the relationship (go to police dependant on situation), whether I was male or female.
I'd do this even though I'd also certainly be the less dominant partner.
Because for some unknown reason they still love them and think that they'll change. My next door neighbour used to get hit by her boyfriend and those are the reasons why she didn't leave him and why they're still together now.
Having been in a long term abusive relationship. I will tell you that its not as easy as it looks, walking away that is.
Just reading the title is actually getting me quite down. :frown:
I doubt they would stay with a beta, they would want an alpha.

Nomosaiyan.
Original post by bittr n swt
Many girls stay in abusive relationships, some by force, some voluntarily.

I'm here to understand why a girl would want to stay with a man who physically beats them regularly. I don't think having good moments is a good excuse.
Having kids, financially depending on them also isn't a good enough reason.
If you're scared then the police can help

Guys can answer too if it were your partner

The thing is, no one thinks they will do it, everyone will agree with you. Saying you'll do it and actually doing it are very different things.
Often comes with emotional abuse, and making the girl feel worthless to the point where they feel too powerless to leave.
Reply 9
It reflects badly on the current range of topics on TSR that I read that as "Girls, if your boyfriend was beta you, will you stay with him?" :tongue:
Original post by yo radical one
It's like the male version of "If you can't handle me at my best, you don't deserve me at my worst"

Honestly woman-beating disgusts me, I would never employ a man convicted of that, even if it was years in the past

Years in the past come on dude
If they're good for the job I'll employ them. I won't care about morals when I'm running a business
Original post by Gott
I read it as if your boyfriend is a beta will you stay with him? Lol

Original post by King Leonidas
I doubt they would stay with a beta, they would want an alpha.

Nomosaiyan.

Spelling mistake my bad!
Yes I would, but in the past I haven't.

My boyfriend hurt me and I stayed with him for a long time. Family and friends begged me to leave and I still stayed.

I am a very sensible, level-headed person and I always thought I'd leave at the first sign of abuse. As the person above said, it is very different in theory and in reality.

However, I did eventually leave him and it was easily the best decision I have ever made in my life. As hard as it is to do, it is ALWAYS better.
TBH, people just think "well if a guy hit me, I'd just leave", but it's not as simple as that. Often, the abuse doesn't start for a while into the relationship, which makes it a lot harder for someone to leave. You always have that thought in the back of your mind "it was fine for ___ months/years, this was just a blip", "he didn't mean it, he was lovely afterwards" etc. And sometimes it is just a blip and things happen because of extraordinary circumstances and they will never lay a hand on you again, but most of the time it's not, and tbh, it's not worth the risk. I would always advise girls (and guys as well, a girl hitting a guy is unacceptable/girls hitting girls/guys hitting guys) to leave once violence begins in a relationship. But as someone who's been there, it's just not that easy.
I can't precive the mind of a man that could ever even thing about harming a woman... It disgusts me, I'd never even consider it.... NO girls! You shouldn't stay!!!!! Run....

Depressing thing is, I still can't get a girl :frown:
Heeeeeell no
Original post by Ryan_Anthony_
I can't precive the mind of a man that could ever even thing about harming a woman... It disgusts me, I'd never even consider it.... NO girls! You shouldn't stay!!!!! Run....

I think I know why.

Women aren't some sort of goddess. Of course no oneone deserves to be abused but if a woman hits me in public randomly I'm not going stand there and take it
Original post by Ryan_Anthony_

Hardly related, most men won't beat a woman, and virtually no women will get involved with a man they think will beat them.
Original post by Mankytoes
Hardly related, most men won't beat a woman, and virtually no women will get involved with a man they think will beat them.

Joke/Sarcasm.... Don't look too far into it :smile:
Generally the physical abuse is alongside other types of abuse, such as emotional, psychological and financial. They end up at such a point where they feel they can't leave, or don't have the financial means to, they could be manipulated into thinking the police won't believe them. Sometimes it's the last time they'll do it and they're oh so sorry for losing their temper, but they love them and it'll never happen again, or sometimes they are made to feel that the abuse was brought on by themselves. While the police would help them, there's no doubt to that, the person being abused can be manipulated in such a way that their abusive partner has complete control of the situation.
Original post by moonkatt
Generally the physical abuse is alongside other types of abuse, such as emotional, psychological and financial. They end up at such a point where they feel they can't leave, or don't have the financial means to, they could be manipulated into thinking the police won't believe them. Sometimes it's the last time they'll do it and they're oh so sorry for losing their temper, but they love them and it'll never happen again, or sometimes they are made to feel that the abuse was brought on by themselves. While the police would help them, there's no doubt to that, the person being abused can be manipulated in such a way that their abusive partner has complete control of the situation.

But if he says one more time and he does it again and begs for another chance, surely the girl should leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending