The Student Room Group

Sharing rooms?

So I'm in year 11 now and I was just wondering, when it comes to university do you absolutely have to share a room? I know you can apply for single rooms but people were saying that in your first year some May end up sharing anyway?

If I had to share I would definitely have problems.. I won't go into detail but I'm in therapy at the moment for recovery from trauma I experienced from my childhood and I have a range of mental health issues, the only way I'm really dealing with school at the moment is that I can come home afterwards and have some time to my own to calm down as I have the flat to myself and my dad works long hours.. I have a huge thing about personal space and I'm not just being fussy there is a genuine reason why I struggle with not having any privacy. I have severe social anxiety and my therapist mentioned that she may be able to write to whoever handles the accommodation when I come to apply and say why I really would like my own room? Would that work in any way? Is there some kind of policy for people with difficulties? Like some sort of 'exceptional circumstances' thing?
Help!! :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I've only ever heard of people sharing rooms once... Most rooms are single occupancy (Unless you specifically apply for a double room)
Original post by Jolgreen
So I'm in year 11 now and I was just wondering, when it comes to university do you absolutely have to share a room? I know you can apply for single rooms but people were saying that in your first year some May end up sharing anyway?

If I had to share I would definitely have problems.. I won't go into detail but I'm in therapy at the moment for recovery from trauma I experienced from my childhood and I have a range of mental health issues, the only way I'm really dealing with school at the moment is that I can come home afterwards and have some time to my own to calm down as I have the flat to myself and my dad works long hours.. I have a huge thing about personal space and I'm not just being fussy there is a genuine reason why I struggle with not having any privacy. I have severe social anxiety and my therapist mentioned that she may be able to write to whoever handles the accommodation when I come to apply and say why I really would like my own room? Would that work in any way? Is there some kind of policy for people with difficulties? Like some sort of 'exceptional circumstances' thing?

in the UK sharing rooms in student halls is very rare- in fact I've never heard of that before. Sharing kitchens is normal but not actual bedrooms.

However if you notify the university about your mental health and room requirements they will be obliged to make sure you have the right facilities to live and study there, due to the equal opportunities policy held in every educational institution. Don't worry about it. You will be fine.
Reply 3
Shared rooms are pretty much just for when the uni runs out of accomodation. It's not a regular thing.
Reply 4
Original post by Rumschpringe
I've seen you post this in multiple threads and it is exactly why I resent the neg button being removed.

ok mama.......man stfu before i give u 2slap
When you apply for accommodation, I'm sure that you can request a single room. Especially if you tell them your circumstances.
Original post by Shakz
ok mama.......man stfu before i give u 2slap

Come @ me bro fite me irl
Reply 7
swear only USA share rooms? dw in UK uni's you have your own room (not kitchen/communal room unless stuio)
Reply 8
Original post by Rumschpringe
Come @ me bro fite me irl

Time and place? I'll show you
Reply 9
never even knew we had shared uni rooms in the UK
I'm at a London uni and I share a room. It's very common here and at several other unis across London.
Room sharing may not be as common as it is in the USA, but it is not as rare as you think it is either.
We weren't allowed to really pick our accommodation but there were options like 'do you want a single or twin room?' and 'would you be happy to share?'. Not everyone got what they wanted. In this case you either have to deal with it or find somewhere else (likely not uni accommodation) to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Room sharing is common in London, where accommodation is more expensive (room share is a budget option). Other unis do do it, but there are generally very few such rooms available (you wouldn't end up in one if you didn't ask for it).

This year, Bristol Uni did cock up massively, and had more students than rooms, so they had to force sharing. I suspect though, that even if that happened (exceptionally unlikely), if you made them aware of your mental health situation and needs, they'd never allow you to be the one to share.

Don't worry about it, basically; most unis have no shared rooms and often have a surplus of single rooms.
Sharing a bedroom at uni is very unusual, and many universities have no shared bedrooms at all. Some bedrooms are en suite, and others have a shared bathroom (shared bathrooms are noticeably cheaper), but sharing a kitchen is fairly ubiquitous.

I would strongly recommend that you declare you MH issues on your UCAS forms - this means that the university will have to make reasonable adjustments (such as giving you your own room) and it will enable you to access the university counselling service more easily.

Most uni halls in the UK have single rooms in fact a room-mate would be the exception rather than the norm if you want a quieter hall most uni s have a hall designated as quieter halls all you can really be expected to share is a kitchen between about 6 people.
All of our Accommodation is built for a single occupant, it's an Americanism sharing a room. The only time we have heard of it in the UK is by a few other universities who were really struggling for accommodation spaces you can find more detail in the article here. Most of the students were heavily financially compensated. Odds are you'll be fine and not have to share a room.
Some unis have shared rooms but think it's rare. It's be a deal breaker for me.
Near enough all rooms are for one person. And I'm glad of that, would hate not to have my own personal space!
If you have medical reasons which would make it hard to share a room and can provide evidence, which you can, then University should reserve you a single room. My uni reserved me a quiet en suite room because of my Asperger's so they knew I had the accommodation I needed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending