The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Breaking news story here

Two gunmen have killed team members working for the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

The BBC have reported: "Its latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi."

https://twitter.com/Charlie_Hebdo_

Scroll to see replies

10 dead and ~5 more wounded.

Very tragic, thoughts are with their families. :frown:
This thread isn't going to end well.
And we are expected to not be sceptical.

'The prophet has been avenged...' surely only the most uneducated of people believe this has anything to do with Islam.... :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Disgusting.
Charlie Hebdo is well-known for not backing down in the face of threats from Islamofascists and I hope they continue with that stance after this attack. How depressing that this could happen in Europe in 2015...
Original post by Skip_Snip
islam's not the best religion is it, aha...

I think that's an unfair comment. At the moment the BBC are speculating. The picture is still available on Twitter and hasn't been removed. Bearing in mind it was only tweeted an hour ago I think it's a coincidence personally.
I wonder if TSR will stand up for freedom of expression and allow us to post the images that managed to provoke such a backward (but expected) outcome to this issue?

Or will it bend over to those intolerant enough to consider murder an acceptable outcome for drawing a cartoon?

Lets see shall we
These are the cartoons

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
'The prophet has been avenged'....more ****ty bollywood than anything really to do with islam...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Radicalathiest
These are the cartoons

Spoiler

You got a smaller pic? Bit big that one mate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
I think that's an unfair comment. At the moment the BBC are speculating. The picture is still available on Twitter and hasn't been removed. Bearing in mind it was only tweeted an hour ago I think it's a coincidence personally.

I think it's probably a coincidence too (surely it would take longer than an hour to organise an attack like this, especially such a deadly attack with more than one gunman), but Charlie Hebdo regularly publishes criticism and satire of Islam and Mohammed; today's tweet wasn't a one-off.

If we assume that the attack was in retaliation for something and consider the kind of groups that have a track record of responding to criticism in this way, I don't think it's "unfair" to assume that the perpetrators were probably radical Muslims.
Original post by Radicalathiest
I wonder if TSR will stand up for freedom of expression and allow us to post the images that managed to provoke such a backward (but expected) outcome to this issue?

Or will it bend over to those intolerant enough to consider murder an acceptable outcome for drawing a cartoon?

Lets see shall we

I don't really see why we need to post the images on TSR - they are widely available on the Charlie Hebdo twitter account and easily accessible. I did post the link in the OP.

Ultimately, we don't know who is responsible although given the background of the magazine and it's history, there do appear to be a number of longstanding feuds.

I agree with you that murder is absolutely not, in any circumstance, the acceptable outcome of drawing a cartoon.

The saddest thing about today is that essentially innocent lives have been lost.
"Our sufferings today are the prelude of those you, Europeans and Western Christians, will also suffer in the near future. I lost my diocese. The physical setting of my apostolate has been occupied by Islamic radicals who want us converted or dead. But my community is still alive.

Please, try to understand us. Your liberal and democratic principles are worth nothing here. You must consider again our reality in the Middle East, because you are welcoming in your countries an ever growing number of Muslims. Also you are in danger. You must take strong and courageous decisions, even at the cost of contradicting your principles. You think all men are equal, but that is not true: Islam does not say that all men are equal. Your values are not their values. If you do not understand this soon enough, you will become the victims of the enemy you have welcomed in your home"

Archbishop Amel Nona
Chaldean Catholic Archeparch of Mosul, now exiled in Erbil
Corriere della Sera
August 9, 2014
Original post by Wilfred Little
You got a smaller pic? Bit big that one mate.

But here is a link

http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/jyllands-posten_cartoons/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
I don't really see why we need to post the images on TSR - they are widely available on the Charlie Hebdo twitter account and easily accessible. I did post the link in the OP.

Ultimately, we don't know who is responsible although given the background of the magazine and it's history, there do appear to be a number of longstanding feuds.

I agree with you that murder is absolutely not, in any circumstance, the acceptable outcome of drawing a cartoon.

The saddest thing about today is that essentially innocent lives have been lost.

Really you don't see the need!

Isn't the murder of these people enough for us to show we will not be silenced by violence and regardless we will defend and even (god forbid) practice the freedoms we have fought long and hard for (usually against the religious doctrines that detest these very freedoms)
When's the next Everybody Draw Muhammed day? I'm sick of these people. Literally the only ones who've ever killed people over a stupid picture. And people wonder why Islam gets more stick than any other religion? It's obvious.
Original post by thunder_chunky
You mean the situation of using their freedom of speech?

It would seem this is the case

How very dare they:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest