The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by AmyPilot
Yes I do the combined course.

All the SLT tutors are great.

I favoured MMU because of the practical style - I am very quiet and shy so thought that would help me develop best - I was less worried about the academic side of things - tho I was screaming after my first biological science lecture (haven't done any science since school) but I am over that now! Didn't go to Birmingham last year so cant comment on them.

I chose MMU over U of Manchester last year - my UofM offer was for lower grades cos I did a programme with them in year 12 which gave me bonus points - would have gone there happily if I hadn't got the grades but their style is definitely different.

I also talked about the courses with a local SLT - she said it was Sheffield that had the sciency reputation.

Have you compared the courses on Unistats website - its quite good,

Ahhh thank you! I'll look on unistats now!
The biology side of the course is what's scaring me the most I think! I'm excited for the practical side and all the psychology and linguistics and of course, the actual speech therapy bits, but the biology side is worrying me - I haven't done any science since GCSE either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Ahhh thank you! I'll look on unistats now!
The biology side of the course is what's scaring me the most I think! I'm excited for the practical side and all the psychology and linguistics and of course, the actual speech therapy bits, but the biology side is worrying me - I haven't done any science since GCSE either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to do it wherever you go - its ok though and I only did double science at GCSE! You start placements early at MMU - I have my 2nd one in Feb! Oh yeah the first year bio science exam at MMU is multiple choice and not essay style if that helps at all!
Reply 962
Original post by AmyPilot
You have to do it wherever you go - its ok though and I only did double science at GCSE! You start placements early at MMU - I have my 2nd one in Feb! Oh yeah the first year bio science exam at MMU is multiple choice and not essay style if that helps at all!

Ahh that helps a bit! I'm dreading the science parts, but I reckon I'll get over it once I'm there haha!
Original post by Higlet
Ahh that helps a bit! I'm dreading the science parts, but I reckon I'll get over it once I'm there haha!

I felt like that about the course I stayed in college, it was half biology and I was dreading it. It was hard at first but then I got used to it and actually found it really interesting :smile:
Huge congrats to those that have received offers within the last few days- the wait goes on for the rest of us........
I'm so impatient! Just rang BCU and spoke to a lovely guy on the phone.. He checked my record.. Went quiet and said 'my colleague is at lunch, but you will hear soon'

😭😭😭😭 I cannot possibly contain myself any longer!
Congratulations to everyone on their offers! Any other applicants had any offers this morning?! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrsMoonie
I'm so impatient! Just rang BCU and spoke to a lovely guy on the phone.. He checked my record.. Went quiet and said 'my colleague is at lunch, but you will hear soon'

😭😭😭😭 I cannot possibly contain myself any longer!
Congratulations to everyone on their offers! Any other applicants had any offers this morning?! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Urgh how annoying is that, why can't he just tell you there and then! Haha. I haven't heard anything today yet, if I don't hear from Man met tonight I think I might email them :smile: I'm also impatient haha
Original post by nesca89
Urgh how annoying is that, why can't he just tell you there and then! Haha. I haven't heard anything today yet, if I don't hear from Man met tonight I think I might email them :smile: I'm also impatient haha

I know :frown: I don't know if it was a good or bad silence.. But he blatantly had it on the screen! Haha :frown: boo hoo. I've emailed twice, bit the bullet and just called... He said 'you should know by email' and it's not an automated system so someone has to sift through them! Incase anyone is as impatient and curious as meeeeeee! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know :frown: I don't know if it was a good or bad silence.. But he blatantly had it on the screen! Haha :frown: boo hoo. I've emailed twice, bit the bullet and just called... He said 'you should know by email' and it's not an automated system so someone has to sift through them! Incase anyone is as impatient and curious as meeeeeee! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate that they don't just get them out the way as soon as! Grrr!
Glad you chased them up and made contact with someone at BCU. Hoping this is good news for you...please keep us informed!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't been brave enough to ring them as I'm too worried they will say no! Just keep checking my emails constantly. Must be soon....
Original post by shropshirelass51
I haven't been brave enough to ring them as I'm too worried they will say no! Just keep checking my emails constantly. Must be soon....

I know! My husband just said stop being stupid and ring them.. So I did... And I'm still none the wiser haha! He made it sound like his colleague was working through them but she had popped off on her lunch break but will hopefully get them out the way.. He seemed to think it was by email! So! Check your inboxes ladies and gents for BCU! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wonder what's gonna happen with Leeds. Anyone heard anything ?
Original post by JordanC55

No I haven't heard anything... This process really is tedious isn't it lol
Original post by charley842
Hi all,
Has anyone received an offer from UEA yet? I had my interview on the 2nd December and they said it would take 3 weeks for them to let us know, but I still haven't heard anything! Is anyone else in the same situation?

I'm in the same boat, I had it on the same day and haven't heard a thing!
I'm tempted to ring them now and enquire- will I seem rude though anyone?!
Original post by eskimok1

I don't think that would be rude to phone to enquire as it is after the date they gave you
Original post by eskimok1

It shows your keen! I hope it isn't seen as rude, because I called BCU earlier.. Whoopsies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanC55

I had an email off Leeds on Christmas Eve saying they would like to invite me to an interview and would send details via track at the end of January. Interviews are held in February and March
It shows your keen! I hope it isn't seen as rude, because I called BCU earlier.. Whoopsies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess!! Oooh what happened?!
Original post by madagascar
No I haven't heard anything... This process really is tedious isn't it lol

It is driving me mad! I just want a confirmation of an interview and I'll be happy - hopefully it happens soon!

Congrats on Newcastle btw!

Original post by nesca89
I had an email off Leeds on Christmas Eve saying they would like to invite me to an interview and would send details via track at the end of January. Interviews are held in February and March

Ohh Christmas Eve, nice early present haha! I'm hoping to hear off DMU at least within the next week or two and QMU don't interview so if track goes off I'm scared!

Quick Reply

Latest