The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tengentoppa

That's a reprehensible position. The newspaper were well within their rights to post those cartoons and should not be censored through terrorism. The principle of free speech should be protected and not abandoned because of such scumbags.

It was a stupid thing to do given the recent terror attacks in Paris over the last month. Why put lives at risk just to prove that you have freedom of speech?
Original post by kushmakush
problem is that Taymiya is like respected by so many people including most of the ISOC on tsr

ask them to condemn him and most wont

I hope im wrong but it seems most of the isoc are pretty extreme...but yeah it becomes an issue when people like taymiya aren't condemned....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dexa
Is it really standing up at the expense of innocent lives?

Well ultimately it would the head of the magazine that would agree to publish the material, so it was his call in the end. The workers are simply doing their job. I thought it was stupid that they publish such a thing at a time of already raised racial and religious unrest in the city.

as someone else has said

'That's a reprehensible position. The newspaper were well within their rights to post those cartoons and should not be censored through terrorism. The principle of free speech should be protected and not abandoned because of such scumbags.'
Reply 43
Original post by Radicalathiest
as someone else has said

'That's a reprehensible position. The newspaper were well within their rights to post those cartoons and should not be censored through terrorism. The principle of free speech should be protected and not abandoned because of such scumbags.'

The priority to should be safety of people, not freedom of speech. This incident could have been avoided.
as someone else has said

Whoever said that:yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30710883

terrible to start they year off with a terrorist attack
Wow, according to France24 these guys had a rocket launcher. Considering they're still on the run this is pretty ****ing scary.

http://www.france24.com/fr/20150107-direct-live-liveblog-fusillade-eclate-siege-charlie-hebdo-paris/
Original post by Dexa
The priority to should be safety of people, not freedom of speech. This incident could have been avoided.

No it should not

If that's the case those who ue th threat of violence will always win

But were you never taught to stand up to bullies?
Terrorism. When will it ever go away eh

Very sad for those who lost their lives.

Also it's nice to see the thread title didn't include Muslim or any other words which could spark inflammatory comments
Original post by hahahoran18
Whoever said that:yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 'tengentoppa'
Reply 50
Original post by Dexa

A lot of incidents could have been avoided, but religion has its way in this world. :s-smilie:
Original post by Dexa
It was a stupid thing to do given the recent terror attacks in Paris over the last month. Why put lives at risk just to prove that you have freedom of speech?

What you are advocating is bowing down to theocratic fascism. As far as I am concerned, the people who died today are brave martyrs who fought for free speech and freedom of expression in the face of the scum of the earth. They should be revered, and not reviled as you are doing.
Original post by smegma_butty
Wow, according to France24 these guys had a rocket launcher. Considering they're still on the run this is pretty ****ing scary.

http://www.france24.com/fr/20150107-direct-live-liveblog-fusillade-eclate-siege-charlie-hebdo-paris/

I read this in the Telegraph as well. How did they manage to get hold of that? :frown: They had shot guns too apparently.
Reply 53
Original post by tengentoppa
What you are advocating is bowing down to theocratic fascism. As far as I am concerned, the people who died today are brave martyrs who fought for free speech and freedom of expression in the face of the scum of the earth. They should be revered, and not reviled as you are doing.

You are deeply mistaken. I somehow doubt they wanted to die, which is different to the mentality of say a jihadist. Essentially you're celebrating the deaths of innocent people saying it was for a good cause.

I'm not muslim btw.
It was 'tengentoppa'

Good for him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reluire
Yes, but this is a discussion of the event, not of Islam. Debate of Islamic scripture belongs in the Religion forum, not here. We're not saying Islam can't be mentioned, but we don't want this thread to escalate into a fully fledged religious debate.

Well then you're restricting our freedom of discussion

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
No it should not

If that's the case those who ue th threat of violence will always win

But were you never taught to stand up to bullies?

Well we didn't win did we, 11 innocent people are dead.
Original post by holmes221
Well then you're restricting our freedom of discussion

Not at all. I'm saying if you want to discuss religion, do so in the Religion forum. You're welcome to open another thread there regarding the religious implications. That's the last I will say on this; if you have any further questions or problems, please open a thread in the AAM forum.
Discussion of religious scripture in this thread is off-topic in my opinion. You are more than welcome to create a new thread regarding this in the Religion forum .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dexa
Well we didn't win did we, 11 innocent people are dead.

Yes we did we showed that despite the threats of violence we wouldn't be cowed into submission.

I bet you £5 they'll reprint them in the next copy of the magazine and I now suspect they'll be reprinted a lot more by those who think we should defend the hard won freedoms we have rather than bend over to religious fascism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending