The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dexa
The priority to should be safety of people, not freedom of speech. This incident could have been avoided.

I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor Safety.

If MLK had not campaigned for civil rights, he would not have been killed.

Had we not fought against the Nazis, lots of people would not have been killed.

The magazine was absolutely right in not bowing down to those who would wish to attack our freedoms.

Original post by bittr n swt
Terrorism. When will it ever go away eh

Very sad for those who lost their lives.

Also it's nice to see the thread title didn't include Muslim or any other words which could spark inflammatory comments

Yes of course. Our priority should be to protect the sensitivities of Muslims, rather than recognising this is but another demonstration of Muslim intolerance to criticism and mockery.
The radical Islamic State group threatened to attack France minutes before Hebdo tweeted a satirical cartoon of the extremist group's leader giving New Year's wishes, AP says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-30710777

What a surprise.
Original post by hahahoran18
So its IS then not muslims

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't want to high-jack the thread. But IS are Muslims. They believe in Allah and the Prophet Muhammad. They consider their leader to be the successor of Muhammad.

To say they aren't is just intellectual dishonesty.
Reply 64
B-B-But Islam is a religion of peace.
Again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which part of ISLAMIC State tells you that?
Original post by SamKeene
Don't want to high-jack the thread. But IS are Muslims. They believe in Allah and the Prophet Muhammad. They consider their leader to be the successor of Muhammad.

To say they aren't is just intellectual dishonesty.

Bull**** they are as much muslims as dawkins is Christian

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Religion of Peace strikes again"
Reply 68

Posted from TSR Mobile

IS would probably disagree with that.
Original post by Wilfred Little
People should be intimidated to enter certain buildings because some mentalists can't take a few cartoons and have to respond with mass murder? :biggrin:

I hope you're joking.

I hope you're joking with this point, or are you really that ignorant.
Bull**** they are as much muslims as dawkins is Christian

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apart from...

Dawkins: Holds no tenets for religious reasons, does not believe in any prophets or existence of God.

IS: Holds tenets of Jihad for religious reasons, specifically those of Islam, believes in the same Prophet of Islam. Believe in the same god as Islam. Uses the Hadith and Quran as a source of morality and instruction.

Instead of blindly shoving the nasty people away going 'no no no no', why not admit it and then work to weave a discourse in-which we can address these people?
Original post by pjm600
IS would probably disagree with that.

IS would definately disagree with everyone except themselves. They are a mad terror group with NOTHING to do with islam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SamKeene
Apart from...

Dawkins: Holds no tenets for religious reasons, does not believe in any prophets or existence of God.

IS: Holds tenets of Jihad for religious reasons, specifically those of Islam, believes in the same Prophet of Islam. Believe in the same god as Islam. Uses the Hadith and Quran as a source of morality and instruction.

Instead of blindly shoving the nasty people away going 'no no no no', why not admit it and then work to weave a discourse in-which we can address these people?

Their god aint my god mate...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
I hope you're joking with this point, or are you really that ignorant.

Enlighten me.
Original post by She-Ra
I don't really see why we need to post the images on TSR - they are widely available on the Charlie Hebdo twitter account and easily accessible. I did post the link in the OP.

Ultimately, we don't know who is responsible although given the background of the magazine and it's history, there do appear to be a number of longstanding feuds.

I agree with you that murder is absolutely not, in any circumstance, the acceptable outcome of drawing a cartoon.

The saddest thing about today is that essentially innocent lives have been lost.

We don't need to post any pics at all on TSR, it's not really about necessity...
Original post by Dexa
Who else think that the newspaper was stupid to almost bring this onto themselves? Why do something that you know will provoke a reaction from extremists? My sympathies to those who suffered for this.

me
Their god aint my god mate...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bet you all prayed the same way this morning though

you went to UNI they went to murder innocent people

But the prayers and the rituals you all did were done to the same god:rolleyes:
Reply 77
Apparently the most famous French caricaturist died (Cabu).
Original post by Reluire
Not at all. I'm saying if you want to discuss religion, do so in the Religion forum. You're welcome to open another thread there regarding the religious implications. That's the last I will say on this; if you have any further questions or problems, please open a thread in the AAM forum.

Discussing Islam in general is not what this thread is about, but discussing the relationship between Islam and this attack is on topic.

You would discuss the crimes of Anders Breivik within the wider context of far-right European extremism, you would also discuss the relationship between school shootings in America and gun laws and not class either of these things as off topic discussion.
Original post by Josb
Apparently the most famous French caricaturist died (Cabu).

Do you have a link as my source says he's critical but not dead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending