The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthewduncan
If you don't listen you will feel

Rapists say similar things
I don't know why these extremists will do this, it will just make the rest of the Muslim population suffer.

Can you imagine some of the Racism/Bullying cases this will provoke against French Muslims in Schools/Work and Social Groups.
Have they been caught yet?
Original post by matthewduncan
If you don't listen you will feel

I edited my reply, the victims of this will likely find it hurtful. i suppose we should punch back...albeit they are a mouse punching a lion, our punch would be rather more devastating of course, but I suppose they'd have provoked us right?...sort of how wars begin.
Reply 184
Original post by $$$stackemup$$$
I don't know why these extremists will do this, it will just make the rest of the Muslim population suffer.

Can you imagine some of the Racism/Bullying cases this will provoke against French Muslims in Schools/Work and Social Groups.

It's currently the converse situation in French high schools.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/25/-sp-karen-armstrong-religious-violence-myth-secular

I'm not a xenophobe or have problems with Islam but events like these being more frequent has bothered me a fair amount so searching around I found this article and thought it was an interesting and enlightening read.

Not making any point specifically but thought this might further discussion.
Disgusting. RIP to all those that were killed. :sad:
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Disgusting.

"Extreme minority"
As, a Muslim, I understand how many people in the west feel. How CAN YOU NOT condemn a religion that has supposedly caused around 3,000 homicides in the past decade. I know if I wasn't a Muslim myself, and didn't know Islam deeply enough, I would be outraged and be the definition of an Islamophobe. I think that the Muslim society should condemn such acts as a whole, rather than saying they weren't Islamic. Preach Islam by practicing Islam, and how can someone be even attracted to Islam when literally every week you hear about a major act of terror done in the name of Islam?
I am extremely grateful the the western society (not the governments, but for extremely different reasons) that the Muslim population has so much support by popular actors and everyday individuals alike.
The thing is people say that there should be no discrimination against race and religion, but I disagree. They are completely different concepts. Discriminating against race is bigotry and absurd. A person has no control over his race, no control over where he is born, and is not necessary that he will have the same opinions as another person from his race.
Religion however, is a philosophy. People of the same religion share the same ideologies. I don't believe if a religion orders you to kill people not similar to you, we should respect it and be tolerant towards it. The thing is, that Islam DOES NOT order you to do it, rather it's a sin. But there is a sect, that is only growing, that does order you to do this. It's the sect of the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and ISIS. I don't know what this sect is called, and as a Muslims I know that this goes against Islam, but how can non-Muslims who have very little knowledge of Islam believe us when every other day they here an act of terror carried out in the name of Islam.
I encourage everyone here to read Quran for themselves and then form their own opinion.
But even us Muslims fear this dangerous sub-sect of Islam. We are not exempted for their wrath. It is very difficult if not impossible to differentiate a normal Muslim, from a terrorist in disguise.
I will not apologize as most people want for the actions of the people from my religion, that I did not promote or approve, but would like to thank the western society for their tolerance.
Original post by joey11223
hmm..a punch, 12 dead, some with nothing to do with the publication, a police offer executed.....quite a punch. Of course Arab media fairly often produce cartoons ridiculing Jews, the West...some might find them rather hurtful, especially those showing the pope posing with the devil, the holocaust being a lie..a joke, etc...so, I suppose we should probably respond in kind, albeit we have the capability to do rather more than send a few mad gunman in to a newspaper office, we could turn that office into smouldering rubble,.... quite a punch it would be.

Have they complained to them?

If so, a reaction is probably going to follow.
Original post by DorianGrayism
How exactly is punching someone an appropriate reaction when you should tell the teacher?

Obviously, continual bullying at school, is nothing like printing a cartoon that you have to choose to see. It is a ridiculous comparison.

Furthermore, printing a cartoon for your readers is nothing like bullying.

Teachers don't do anything, you can tell a teacher, maybe they get a slap on the wrist. Problem continues... Punch should occur.

If it's such a ridiculous comparison why refute it? The basis is simple, provocation leads to an action. Whether that provocation is justified is something else entirely.

WHY do they need to take the piss out to please readers?
French students are showing their sympathy for the poor souls murdered today:

https://twitter.com/AnaisBordages/status/552847127718920193/photo/1
Original post by L'Evil Fish
They published more than one piece to enrage.

So not one issue.

And it wasn't a result of that certain publication.

Absolutely, obviously what has happened today is disgusting & nothing they wrote/drew justifies being murdered but Pascal Boniface, the director of IRIS said that Charlie Hebdo had abandoned its libertarian tradition in favour of common racism.
Reply 192
Absolutely sickening attack have just watched the unedited video of 2 muslims shooting a policemen dead in cold blood, these people are animals
Have they complained to them?

If so, a reaction is probably going to follow.

Teachers don't do anything, you can tell a teacher, maybe they get a slap on the wrist. Problem continues... Punch should occur.

If it's such a ridiculous comparison why refute it? The basis is simple, provocation leads to an action. Whether that provocation is justified is something else entirely.

Your post genuinely deeply offends me. Would it be justified for me to come to your house and murder you?
Reply 194
Cue David Cameron saing how horrible it all is but they are not really muslims & Islam is peaceful! it gets less and less convincing everytime David Cameron has to say it
Original post by Borgia
The difference? Please tell me... what is the difference between and ideology, and followers of it who act according to its laws?

If you can't see the difference between an ideology and its followers, then I pray for you.

Look at Nazi Germany, one of the most significant people within Hitler's rule was homosexual yet Hitler was against any form of homosexuality in Nazi Germany.

Look at feminism, a good concept which aims to "to define, establish, and defend equal political, economic, cultural, and social rights for women" however is misrepresented by extremists within the media.

Look at Christianity
, a religion which teaches it's followers to abide to the laws of the theology, yet we see Christians having sex, drinking until drunkenness etc

And finally, look at Islam.
A religion which seeks to unite its followers through a set of laws ordained by God, however we see followers doing the exact opposite,

This is all proof that followers are often a facade, to what the truth is.

Great and then maybe your kid will get a criminal conviction for assault.

Good thinking.

If it's such a ridiculous comparison why refute it? The basis is simple, provocation leads to an action. Whether that provocation is justified is something else entirely. ?

Because you are defending murder

Because that is what their readers want

It is a satirical magazine so I am assuming " taking the piss" is what they are paid to do.

No one forces an Islamic extremist to read it. However, you are forced to go school. Hence, making the comparison ridiculous.
Original post by generic_man
Your post genuinely deeply offends me. Would it be justified for me to come to your house and murder you?

Is there a basis for your discontent? Did I have any pre existing knowledge my post would cause offence?

You know there's a difference
L'Evil Fish

Lol, don't try to wriggle out of the fact that you did indeed attempt to justify the murder of innocent journalists...

If someone was taunting someone and belittling them, making them feel crap. Asked to stop. But continued, they deserve the punch they get.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending