The Student Room Group

VXR or ST?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in a bit of a tricky situation and would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

I am 18 and currently have a VW polo 1.4 that cost me around £1,500 (I got it a bit cheaper than usual) with 65,000 miles on the clock, it returns about
40mph and is an 03 plate.

I drive into work which takes about 1 hour every day, but the drive is not enjoyable as I don't have a powerful car. It does 0-60mph
in about 13 seconds which is pretty sluggish imo.

I've heard from a few people that VXR's and ST's are super fun to drive and that I would love it, however I can't afford those cars unless I bought it on finance. They are about 15k to buy, is it worth it?

I definitely want something more powerful as it would be great fun, and you're only young once!

My parents are saying its a bad idea (big surprise) however I am still yet to come to a decision.

I would like your guys opinion on this, I am going to uni in 3 years so wont use the car much whilst I'm there, so would it be worth buying
a new car?

Thank you and all replies I appreciate!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your parents are wise.

I am 26 years old now, and have owned a few cars since passing my test aged 19 (Ford Fiesta 1.1, Hyundai Accent 1.3, Triumph Herald 1.3, and my current car - a Proton Satria Neo 1.6)

I bought my Proton on finance after the rear diff went on my Herald, and I didn't have the direct funds available to fix it - finance was my only option to get a car at that time, and I bought the Proton as it was the prettiest car I'd ever seen and the lure of that 115bhp was enough to seal the deal for me. My parents told me not to do it, but supported me when they saw my determination and my dad even arranged for a mechanical inspection on the car for me.

4 years on, I'm older and wiser and would never recommend taking finance on a loss. You'd be wiser borrowing to invest in something that will give you a return, rather than borrowing for a little fun. In my experience, that power gain is never enough - it leaves you always wanting for more and this will show well in a VXR or ST - they're both small-engined, average power lumps with poor fuel economy to boot, all in exchange for a few seconds shaven of your 0-60? Not worth it - especially for 15k.

I'd recommend looking at what you can sell your car for, and how much you can save in the time it takes to sell your car. Add it together, and use that as your budget for a used car. There are thousands of fast cars selling cheap because people get bored of them quickly. They realise the impracticality of a high-revving petrol drinker and move on to something more practical as a daily driver.

My dad has the old Audi A4, which is a 1.9 turbo diesel, and has 115bhp, yet his car does 60mpg, mine does 30mpg. Mine is faster to 20mph, his obliterates mine on 0-60 speeds though. He paid £1000 for his car. I paid (and am still paying) £9000 for mine.

Finance is a really bad idea, and your parents know this (either from experience or just being aware of what goes on) - a lot of dealers will set you up with a bad finance package because you're young and inexperienced.

If you're going to do it anyway, then seriously consider the car that you want. Bear in mind that you will have that car for the full finance period and at the end of it you will have a car worth around £8k. Remember that you will need to make every payment throughout the finance period. Loss of income through a sudden loss of job might make this difficult, and certainly if you're starting Uni at 21 you'll find that you have even less money available to you.

In summary: buy a cheaper car that's just as fast or faster with what you can afford now. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

~Matt
You're aiming a little high in my opinion going from a car like a 1.4 polo right to a top of the range ST or VXR. I mean those cars REALLY move. The VXR's win it for me on looks, they look rugged and the current ST gens lost their brutal appearance. I'm going on the Astra VXR and Focus ST for this next bit. The VXR is so much more fun to drive. It keeps you on your toes and if you floor it from still, it will want to go everywhere. Both can suffer from torque steer though.

The ST is more refined and less boy-racerish and will age better. High performance Vauxhalls tend to have a tendency to eat through gear boxes at around 60-70k miles.

These cars are THIRSTY, THIRSTY beasts though.
Reply 3
wouldn't recommend financing, how much you got to spend?
If you're financing anything, make sure it's PCP finance.
Don't finance...

1. Will you be able to get such substantial finance at 18 without a guarantor? If your folks aren't supportive of your decision it may make this tricky...

2. Can you afford to insure a car like that at 18? Bear in mind that 'boy racers' - the most likely owners of these cars - aren't going to be insurers favourites...

3. Are you in a reliable job with a regular decent income?

4. Can you afford the fuel?

5. Are you going to uni? Or moving out? Bear in mind that both of these cost £££

Polos of that age and mileage go for about what you paid... You're best off getting something used and a bit quicker than the Polo but for a couple of grand rather than sinking substantial money into an inevitable loss.
Your commute is an hour and you can't afford to outright buy the car. I'd suggest that fuelling them would be a problem. Sounds like you need a fast diesel for the best of both worlds.
Everyone raves about the VXR`s and the ST`s.....Awful cars.
Reply 8
Original post by Walkaah
Hi everyone,

I am currently in a bit of a tricky situation and would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

I am 18 and currently have a VW polo 1.4 that cost me around £1,500 (I got it a bit cheaper than usual) with 65,000 miles on the clock, it returns about
40mph and is an 03 plate.

I drive into work which takes about 1 hour every day, but the drive is not enjoyable as I don't have a powerful car. It does 0-60mph
in about 13 seconds which is pretty sluggish imo.

I've heard from a few people that VXR's and ST's are super fun to drive and that I would love it, however I can't afford those cars unless I bought it on finance. They are about 15k to buy, is it worth it?

I definitely want something more powerful as it would be great fun, and you're only young once!

My parents are saying its a bad idea (big surprise) however I am still yet to come to a decision.

I would like your guys opinion on this, I am going to uni in 3 years so wont use the car much whilst I'm there, so would it be worth buying
a new car?

Thank you and all replies I appreciate!

I had fast cars in my early twenties and came close to major accidents way to many times and some of my friends into street racing are dead.

Plus getting into cars without being super wealth means spending all your money petrol and parts/mods.

I would get either a vw lupo/ seat arose 1.4tdi and remap to 100bhp plus lower all round on no more than 15" alloys or else with such a small car it will train track and reduce the cars performance.

Otherwise Golf 1,9tdi 130bhp should remap around 180bhp with a hybrid turbo or new injectors but a new cluch would be needed. I would expect the standard clutch would take 160bhp. A gold can take 17' alloys okay with lowering.

Petrol wise, mark 1 scoobies are cheap and very tuneable but drink fuel. However the engines are much livelier low down over the sapphire cosworth, which have major lag due to their turbos that kick in pretty hard.

I don't know about the newer cars, perhaps a Honda vtec, old ones were 160bhp and a weekend conversion kit were around £1000 from japan taking it to 260bhp.
Original post by Sam Walters

Bet you haven't even driven either.
Reply 10
Original post by danty
Your parents are wise.

I am 26 years old now, and have owned a few cars since passing my test aged 19 (Ford Fiesta 1.1, Hyundai Accent 1.3, Triumph Herald 1.3, and my current car - a Proton Satria Neo 1.6)

I bought my Proton on finance after the rear diff went on my Herald, and I didn't have the direct funds available to fix it - finance was my only option to get a car at that time, and I bought the Proton as it was the prettiest car I'd ever seen and the lure of that 115bhp was enough to seal the deal for me. My parents told me not to do it, but supported me when they saw my determination and my dad even arranged for a mechanical inspection on the car for me.

4 years on, I'm older and wiser and would never recommend taking finance on a loss. You'd be wiser borrowing to invest in something that will give you a return, rather than borrowing for a little fun. In my experience, that power gain is never enough - it leaves you always wanting for more and this will show well in a VXR or ST - they're both small-engined, average power lumps with poor fuel economy to boot, all in exchange for a few seconds shaven of your 0-60? Not worth it - especially for 15k.

I'd recommend looking at what you can sell your car for, and how much you can save in the time it takes to sell your car. Add it together, and use that as your budget for a used car. There are thousands of fast cars selling cheap because people get bored of them quickly. They realise the impracticality of a high-revving petrol drinker and move on to something more practical as a daily driver.

My dad has the old Audi A4, which is a 1.9 turbo diesel, and has 115bhp, yet his car does 60mpg, mine does 30mpg. Mine is faster to 20mph, his obliterates mine on 0-60 speeds though. He paid £1000 for his car. I paid (and am still paying) £9000 for mine.

Finance is a really bad idea, and your parents know this (either from experience or just being aware of what goes on) - a lot of dealers will set you up with a bad finance package because you're young and inexperienced.

If you're going to do it anyway, then seriously consider the car that you want. Bear in mind that you will have that car for the full finance period and at the end of it you will have a car worth around £8k. Remember that you will need to make every payment throughout the finance period. Loss of income through a sudden loss of job might make this difficult, and certainly if you're starting Uni at 21 you'll find that you have even less money available to you.

In summary: buy a cheaper car that's just as fast or faster with what you can afford now. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

~Matt

Hi Matt thanks for replying.

Your advice really helps, and I am not going to go for finance dispite the fact I know paying the money wouldn't be a problem but 15-20k is a bit extreme to spend, considering I should be saving for a house right now.

So instead, I have another idea. As I want to buy the Vauxhall VXR just to have fun when driving etc. I have found this one on Auto Trader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412079501887/sort/default/page/17/postcode/ha49qf/fuel-type/petrol/model/corsa/make/vauxhall/usedcars/colour/blue/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/body-type/hatchback/radius/1500?logcode=p

Its only 5k, and has high mileage, and I will do about 10k miles per year, if I kept it for a year then sold it with an added 10k miles what do you think?

Thanks

Original post by ToastyCoke
You're aiming a little high in my opinion going from a car like a 1.4 polo right to a top of the range ST or VXR. I mean those cars REALLY move. The VXR's win it for me on looks, they look rugged and the current ST gens lost their brutal appearance. I'm going on the Astra VXR and Focus ST for this next bit. The VXR is so much more fun to drive. It keeps you on your toes and if you floor it from still, it will want to go everywhere. Both can suffer from torque steer though.

The ST is more refined and less boy-racerish and will age better. High performance Vauxhalls tend to have a tendency to eat through gear boxes at around 60-70k miles.

These cars are THIRSTY, THIRSTY beasts though.

Look at the VXR I'm thinking of buying above, what do you think? Thanks for replying also, and I would change the exhaust he's got on it back to the factory one as it looks awful.

Original post by iamu
wouldn't recommend financing, how much you got to spend?

Currently saving for a house, but being set back 10k wouldn't hurt for a bit of fun would it now :wink:

Thinking on buying this one, would appreciate your opinion: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412079501887/sort/default/page/17/postcode/ha49qf/fuel-type/petrol/model/corsa/make/vauxhall/usedcars/colour/blue/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/body-type/hatchback/radius/1500?logcode=p

If you're financing anything, make sure it's PCP finance.

What's the difference?

k thx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by si82
Plus getting into cars without being super wealth means spending all your money petrol and parts/mods.

Hiya, thanks for your reply.

I like to keep the car STOCK, which means I wouldn't want to buy any mods, and don't want an old banger.

Original post by si82
vw lupo/ seat arose 1.4tdi

No offence to those cars but they look awful. I wanted a fast car with looks which is why I'm looking closely into the Vauxhall VXR.

Taking a look at a few on auto trader and gumtree, what do you think?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412079501887/sort/default/page/17/postcode/ha49qf/fuel-type/petrol/model/corsa/make/vauxhall/usedcars/colour/blue/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/body-type/hatchback/radius/1500?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201411068779152/sort/default/usedcars/model/corsa/radius/1500/fuel-type/petrol/page/1/price-from/6500/colour/blue/postcode/ha49qf/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/vauxhall/body-type/hatchback/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l?logcode=phttp://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vauxhall-corsa-vxr-1.6/1095032870

That first Corsa VXR looks suspiciously cheap. Plus with that mileage, wear and tear parts will begin to break. Be careful with headgaskets too, as it's beginning to reach the danger zone. Check it out if you want and get a full inspection. If it turns out okay, then there's no harm for a year like you say. Just be aware that you will need a new MOT in September :wink:
Bet you haven't even driven either.

Ive driven a fair few in various states of tune. Both the Corsa`s and the Vectra`s. Plus a 315hp corsa cant pull away from my car when it had a measly 270hp. Gutless even with a gt28rsr on them. Plus they weigh so much!

The Fiesta ST.....Well if you fancy getting walked over by every saxo vts in the land then be my guest and buy one.
Are they really worth that much?! Jesus you can pickup a 350z with 50k less miles for that!
Are they really worth that much?! Jesus you can pickup a 350z with 50k less miles for that!

Bit of a hairdressers car though. Then again the Corsa VXR isn't quick in my opinion and it looks ok however it looks a bit like a poor man's Astra VXR.
Reply 16
Original post by Walkaah
Hi Matt thanks for replying.

Your advice really helps, and I am not going to go for finance dispite the fact I know paying the money wouldn't be a problem but 15-20k is a bit extreme to spend, considering I should be saving for a house right now.

So instead, I have another idea. As I want to buy the Vauxhall VXR just to have fun when driving etc. I have found this one on Auto Trader.

Its only 5k, and has high mileage, and I will do about 10k miles per year, if I kept it for a year then sold it with an added 10k miles what do you think?

Thanks

That's a very polite and well thought out response. I had to check for a moment that I was still on TSR lol.

If you're going to do 10k, in a car that realistically might do 30mpg average, you're going to spend around £140/month on fuel. Factor this into your affordability calculations.

£5k is a lot more reasonable an amount to spend on a car, and it looks like not a bad car, if I'm honest. Corsa VXRs have common faults, some of which include Air con leaks, wheel bearing failures, and engine coolant leaks. Check that the air con works, coolant is full, and there are no untoward sounds coming from the wheels on a test drive before purchasing the car. I'd also check the state on the front disks as a badly looked after example would have badly scored disks due to the pads not being changed at a safe interval - and if it's badly looked after, leave it there.

Also make sure to check the last time the timing (or CAM) belt was changed, because it's an expensive job to do and even more expensive if you let it snap.

190BHP is a large step up from the 85hp or so from your 1.4 polo. Learn to drive it before driving it hard, as all that power in the front wheels means you'll be likely to lose control of it if you're throwing it into corners/roundabouts full throttle.

Kept in the same condition but with an extra 10k on the clock and a year older you'd be looking at around £4-4.5k return (based on the value of a current 2007 Corsa VXR with 100k on the clock) which doesn't seem to be much of a loss. I'd say it's a worthy investment to get the hot hatch phase out of the way for you.

~Matt
Original post by TheGhostz
Bit of a hairdressers car though. Then again the Corsa VXR isn't quick in my opinion and it looks ok however it looks a bit like a poor man's Astra VXR.

How is the 350Z a hair dressers car?! Okay fair enough it needs a bit of beefing up. But a splitter a rear trim panel around the exhausts and a small spoiler instead of the standard ones they look the nuts. Think dark silver with black wheels, and all the other bits I mentioned in black too.
Reply 18
Original post by TheGhostz

What do you drive, Aventadors?

Original post by danty
That's a very polite and well thought out response. I had to check for a moment that I was still on TSR lol.

If you're going to do 10k, in a car that realistically might do 30mpg average, you're going to spend around £140/month on fuel. Factor this into your affordability calculations.

£5k is a lot more reasonable an amount to spend on a car, and it looks like not a bad car, if I'm honest. Corsa VXRs have common faults, some of which include Air con leaks, wheel bearing failures, and engine coolant leaks. Check that the air con works, coolant is full, and there are no untoward sounds coming from the wheels on a test drive before purchasing the car. I'd also check the state on the front disks as a badly looked after example would have badly scored disks due to the pads not being changed at a safe interval - and if it's badly looked after, leave it there.

Also make sure to check the last time the timing (or CAM) belt was changed, because it's an expensive job to do and even more expensive if you let it snap.

190BHP is a large step up from the 85hp or so from your 1.4 polo. Learn to drive it before driving it hard, as all that power in the front wheels means you'll be likely to lose control of it if you're throwing it into corners/roundabouts full throttle.

Kept in the same condition but with an extra 10k on the clock and a year older you'd be looking at around £4-4.5k return (based on the value of a current 2007 Corsa VXR with 100k on the clock) which doesn't seem to be much of a loss. I'd say it's a worthy investment to get the hot hatch phase out of the way for you.

~Matt

My current car does 40mpg I believe, costs £50 for a full tank and I get 320miles out of it. I have to fill up every 10 days meaning it costs me £150 a month. Either my car doesn't do as many miles per gallon or the £140 a month calculation is a little bit off!

Regarding the wear and tear and common faults you mentioned above, I think this could either me a big problem or not a problem at all (providing I have some luck), and as I am looking at ones with high mileage it is much more likely that problems will occur. Again, hopefully they don't and I am probably only going to keep the car for a year if I buy it so hopefully no major problems occur. I heard tires cost £170 each though!!!

Thanks again for your help, I have also checked the insurance and its around £2,500 for me, so I will have to try and get that down somehow
:frown:

How is the 350Z a hair dressers car?! Okay fair enough it needs a bit of beefing up. But a splitter a rear trim panel around the exhausts and a small spoiler instead of the standard ones they look the nuts. Think dark silver with black wheels, and all the other bits I mentioned in black too.

Its not a hairdressers car dunno what that guys on about.
Original post by Walkaah
What do you drive, Aventadors?

I heard tires cost £170 each though!!!

They are just slow.

170......You can get Toyo R888`s for less then that and those are full blown track day tyres. (Ive killed a set in less than 4000 miles on my seat)

Quick Reply

Latest