The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8380
Suso first broke into the team because he fit into BR's way of playing, and we had a lack of quality players in forward positions. His style is pretty similar to Coutinho's really. Both even have the habit of going missing in games. Ultimately though, Coutinho is a level above so it's no real surprise that Suso couldn't break through here once Coutinho was signed.

It's a shame really, but I think he'll always be a good player rather than a great player who could take us to the level we want to be. I don't think he would have ever been more of a squad player. I'm not convinced Italy is the right place for him to blossom but we'll see.
The Valdes deal is incredibly frustrating.
We were interested in signing Valdes a few months ago, back in October we wanted him to go on a trial for us before giving him a contract but he refused to go on a trial so we ended up cooling our interest in him. It's a shame considering that he is a highly experienced GK who surely won't be able to do worse than dracula.

Wrt Suso, I'm sure if he was good enough BR would have given him a chance at LFC. The facts are we don't know how he applies himself during training and how highly the coaches rate him. From the outside looking in, he looked like a decent player and I would have liked to see him play for us. But considering we have Markovic (20), Coutinho (22), Sterling (20) all who are very young and playing well as well as Lallana vying for attacking midfield positions. It's hard to see who's spot he would take since they are far more developed and experienced than Suso is at age 21.
Reply 8383
Original post by tomtjl
Milan to sign Salah on loan apparently, so we're the only team in for Shaqiri.

We've also apparently made enquiries into Jackson Martinez. No idea how true it is though.

We could easily be in for Shaqiri.

Of course, you're a cl club and we're not, so obviously you have more pull.
Original post by The.Joker

Wrt Suso, I'm sure if he was good enough BR would have given him a chance at LFC. The facts are we don't know how he applies himself during training and how highly the coaches rate him. From the outside looking in, he looked like a decent player and I would have liked to see him play for us. But considering we have Markovic (20), Coutinho (22), Sterling (20) all who are very young and playing well as well as Lallana vying for attacking midfield positions. It's hard to see who's spot he would take since they are far more developed and experienced than Suso is at age 21.

Agree with every word. He's no better than the three you mention.

Correct decision for his career progression to let him go. He'll suit the football in Serie A, too.
Original post by samba
We could easily be in for Shaqiri.

Of course, you're a cl club and we're not, so obviously you have more pull.

He's joined Inter Milan. Think someone needs to tell Liverpool's transfer committee that the window is open.
Original post by sr90
He's joined Inter Milan. Think someone needs to tell Liverpool's transfer committee that the window is open.

Where have you seen this? I can't find any source confirming that at the moment.
According to Tony Barrett BR has confirmed that Sturridge is in the final stages of recovery and he will return to Liverpool in the next 24 hours. :biggrin:

It's great news, hopefully he'll be ready to play soon. Kind of like getting a new signing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Where have you seen this? I can't find any source confirming that at the moment.

Check Inter Milan's twitter page.
We've been linked with Milner.

He's much maligned - but the move makes sense in a lot of ways. Rodgers has always been keen to keep an English core to our side, and Milner plays with Henderson/Sterling/Lallana at international level. He's already played just two game shy of his total of appearances last season, so he's in quite a rich vein of form.

He certainly isn't the greatest technically, but he's a utility midfielder who could replace Gerrard in the short-term. He doesn't look for the Hollywood ball like Gerrard does, and his ability to break up play and start attacks would mean Henderson wouldn't need to stretch himself too thinly. He could get on with being a box-to-box midfielder, darting into the box and trying to break down opposition defences.
Original post by sr90

Inter Milan have pull right.

Liverpoo done goofed.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush

It's on Sky Sports
Original post by jam277
Inter Milan have pull right.

Liverpoo done goofed.

£10M option for a permanent deal apparently which is a bargain
Milner ffs do Liverpool ever learn.
Not surprised to see Shaqiri sign for another club.
Original post by The.Joker
According to Tony Barrett BR has confirmed that Sturridge is in the final stages of recovery and he will return to Liverpool in the next 24 hours. :biggrin:

It's great news, hopefully he'll be ready to play soon. Kind of like getting a new signing.

He'll just come back to England to continue his recovery and training.

Think the target was 20 Jan but no doubt he'll only play for like 20 mins.

I don't think we'll see much of Sturridge till at least another month..
Original post by Zerforax
He'll just come back to England to continue his recovery and training.

Think the target was 20 Jan but no doubt he'll only play for like 20 mins.

I don't think we'll see much of Sturridge till at least another month..

I'll be very happy if he makes the game against Chelsea, it'd be a great birthday present for me if he got a goal :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by sevchenko
£10M option for a permanent deal apparently which is a bargain

Yeah definitely a bargain.
Are we even aware that the market is open and we are in dire need of strengthening the whole spine of the team

A1 Liverpool

ffs
Original post by Angry cucumber
Are we even aware that the market is open and we are in dire need of strengthening the whole spine of the team

A1 Liverpool

ffs

No I don't think so.

Saying that, we do need to be somewhat sensible. Would be a nightmare if we went out and splash 30-50 mil on even more average players on huge contracts just because it's January. I expect we'll see another round of spending in the summer. Although we don't really have many valuable players to sell this time round.

Quick Reply

Latest