The Student Room Group

What is the difference between concentrate and not-from-concentrate juices?

Which is the healthiest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Non, concentrate it believe have a lower sugar content and lower pH, so I'd say they are best
The ones from concentrate are from oranges who really got far in life. The intelligent ones. The ones who concentrated at orange school

Seriously I dunno
from concentrate is where they basically boil the water out to make it easier for transportation and then add it back in again a the destinationand not from concentrate is just the juice.
Concentrate is for the working class. Not from concentrate is for the Waitrose class.
A single food cannot be healthy or unhealthy (except trans fats and salt and poisons).

Only a diet can be healthy or unhealthy.

The difference between fresh and from concentrate juice is so small that you needn't worry about it.
Reply 6
I think one's real fruit juice and the other is diluted / loaded with sugar
Original post by The_Internet
The ones from concentrate are from oranges who really got far in life. The intelligent ones. The ones who concentrated at orange school

Seriously I dunno

Omg! Lol made my day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Juice "from concentrate" has, at some point, had all the water removed so that it may be transported in larger quantities for lower prices - it is effectively reduced to a syrup, albeit an all-natural one, a bit like a squash drink. At the other end, when ready for distribution, water is added.

Juice 'not from concentrate' has not undergone this process.

So basically ( found this on google):
"From-concentrate" means the fruit is squeezed and the water is evaporated, which produces a concentrated form similar to what you see in the frozen food department. The water is added back, the juice is pasteurized and packaged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chazwomaq
A single food cannot be healthy or unhealthy (except trans fats and salt and poisons).

Only a diet can be healthy or unhealthy.

The difference between fresh and from concentrate juice is so small that you needn't worry about it.

Really, the difference is really small?
Original post by Heretohelp!
Juice "from concentrate" has, at some point, had all the water removed so that it may be transported in larger quantities for lower prices - it is effectively reduced to a syrup, albeit an all-natural one, a bit like a squash drink. At the other end, when ready for distribution, water is added.

Juice 'not from concentrate' has not undergone this process.

So basically ( found this on google):
"From-concentrate" means the fruit is squeezed and the water is evaporated, which produces a concentrated form similar to what you see in the frozen food department. The water is added back, the juice is pasteurized and packaged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So is there a big difference between the two, health wise?
Original post by chazwomaq

It can be.

Fish can be healthy, but once they are cooked they no longer have the decent health conditions they once had.
Difficult to tell which one is more healthful per se - you'll need to look into the actual content. But generally non-concentrate could be better but it really depends on what they've done to the concentrate one.

If you concern so much about health, I'd advise having actual fruit instead of juice, or at the very least look for ones with the bits in them.
Original post by Joyful_soul
So is there a big difference between the two, health wise?

I guess so ...im not too entirely sure but I'll found out for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clh_hilary
Difficult to tell which one is more healthful per se - you'll need to look into the actual content. But generally non-concentrate could be better but it really depends on what they've done to the concentrate one.

If you concern so much about health, I'd advise having actual fruit instead of juice, or at the very least look for ones with the bits in them.

Ok, thanks.
Reply 15
Nutritionally there is very little difference between "Orange Juice" and "Orange Juice (from concentrates)"

As people have said the "from concentrates" version is merely orange juice with some water removed for cheaper transportation then the same level of water added back for packaging. Some say that the non concentrated version tastes better and more like fresh orange but if you're on a budget the reconstituted version would have the same benefits.

What you do need to watch out for are those things labelled "Juice Drink" as they do contain real juice but are much more diluted than "Fruit Juice".
Original post by Folion
Some say that the non concentrated version tastes better

I can certainly tell the difference in blind taste tests...

What you do need to watch out for are those things labelled "Juice Drink" as they do contain real juice but are much more diluted than "Fruit Juice".

'Juice drink' = 'expensive pre-made squash'.
Original post by Folion
Nutritionally there is very little difference between "Orange Juice" and "Orange Juice (from concentrates)"

As people have said the "from concentrates" version is merely orange juice with some water removed for cheaper transportation then the same level of water added back for packaging. Some say that the non concentrated version tastes better and more like fresh orange but if you're on a budget the reconstituted version would have the same benefits.

Well, one contains more oranges than the other (as it is non-diluted), so the non-concentrate has more benefits?
Original post by Joyful_soul
Well, one contains more oranges than the other (as it is non-diluted), so the non-concentrate has more benefits?

No. Take ten oranges. Squeeze them (and typically strain out any 'bits'). What you have is 'not from concentrate' orange juice.

Treat it by removing most of the water content. What you have is concentrated orange juice. In real life, you'd now freeze it, and ship it half way around the world.

Now add water to the concentrated orange juice, e.g. from the tap. What you now have is 'from concentrate orange juice'. It has the same amount of 'oranges' in it and will usually be the same volume as the original juice, but most of the water content hasn't been inside an orange any time recently and doing all that affects the taste.
Original post by unprinted
No. Take ten oranges. Squeeze them (and typically strain out any 'bits'). What you have is 'not from concentrate' orange juice.

Treat it by removing most of the water content. What you have is concentrated orange juice. In real life, you'd now freeze it, and ship it half way around the world.

Now add water to the concentrated orange juice, e.g. from the tap. What you now have is 'from concentrate orange juice'. It has the same amount of 'oranges' in it and will usually be the same volume as the original juice, but most of the water content hasn't been inside an orange any time recently and doing all that affects the taste.

Really, so the nutritional benefit is the same? :s

Quick Reply