The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Good luck everyone who applied to Cambridge over the next couple of days! Here's to hoping we all get in!

Good luck everyone else too, I just don't know when the other unis send out offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For a while I considered VetMed too, after I had an internship at a veterinary practice. I loved working with the animals and people, and was lucky enough to watch a few surgical procedures! I was too often told it is really tough to find a job after graduating, but the vet I worked with said it is a good idea to make friends with more experienced vets who have their own veterinary practice and then later run the practice together.

In the end, I decided to choose to apply for Marine Biology, just because I want to make more of an impact for the environment, and engage in research. However, I love how motivated you are, and I hope VetMed will work out for you! Good luck!
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Nottingham has started sending out rejections.
Original post by chelsea2105
Has anyone who's been predicted a B in biology been given an interview? I've had 2 rejections from bristol and Surrey, sadly I wasn't predicted the A even though I was only 5 UMS off it! I got an A in maths, Chemistry and further maths though too

Even though I got an A at AS (just about!) I was predicted an A at a push but last years exam results suggest otherwise. I pulled up my grade with one module... Chemistry seems to be the big important one, so don't give up! I've got an interview at Nottingham. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Kate_O!
Hi! I'm a little late in joining this, and like nearly every other vet school hopeful I've wanted to be a vet since reading the James Herriot books when I was younger.
My name's Kate, I'm from a town near Edinburgh and I've applied this year for Edinburgh, Glasgow and Liverpool, and I really hope one day to meet some of you guys!
I have had a bit of work experience by now,
Ive worked weekly at my local vets since April, I’ve volunteered at the RDA for 2 seasons, I’ve got a few weeks in summer at 5 sisters zoo, I spent 2 weeks at the animal care unit at Oatridge, and I went lambing for a week and dairy farming for a week, I've been to chemical and biomedical labs and a cancer research research place, I've been to an abattoir, I've spent a week at the small animal hospital by the dick vet school, but probably the biggest thing that I've done is a Nuffield research project for 6 weeks over Summer. It was with the Royal dick vet school, and it was on 'a method for evaluating the adequacy of reporting animal pain management in biomedical research articles', so on lab animal welfare, it was really fabby. With that I've got a gold CREST award, I'm a finalist in the big bang young scientist of the year awards and I got to visit the Primate house in Newcastle!
I've been to my Edinburgh interview already, but my Glasgow one is this Friday! Any tips? :smile:
(this is a really great idea-I'm really mad I just found this now!)

Hey! Good luck on your Glasgow interview. I also did a Nuffield Project at University of Liverpool Vet School and it was great. Mine was on canine cruciate ligaments. Also obtained a gold crest. I have two others and I'm also a finalist in Big Bang but with a different project to my Nuffield :biggrin:
I haven't yet spoken to any vet applicants with gold crest/nuffield/big bang things and im excited haha :biggrin:
Original post by alwaysalex
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Nottingham has started sending out rejections.

Do you get it through ucas?
Rejection from Nottingham... Sigh.. Still waiting for answers from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Bristol. Not expecting much since i barely have any work experience, but it's still disappointing to get the actual rejection haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieStockwell
Do you get it through ucas?

Nothing on UCAS yet, they sent and email and said a letter would follow.
Original post by milliepow
Rejection from Nottingham... Sigh.. Still waiting for answers from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Bristol. Not expecting much since i barely have any work experience, but it's still disappointing to get the actual rejection haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By post or UCAS? don't worry, you haven't heard from the others yet and there's plenty of chances left! :smile: good luck!
Original post by milliepow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol still has interview dates lefts don't give up hope!
Hello! Anyone here have interview at Glasgow tomorrow? (8th January) So nervous for mine! Also, anyone heard back from Edinburgh after their interviews? The waiting is definitely the worst part!
Reply 4691
Nothing on UCAS yet, they sent and email and said a letter would follow.

Hey, good luck for your other choices, sorry about nottingham!

Are you international or anything? Or do they send rejection via email to UK students as well?
Original post by RN1
Hey, good luck for your other choices, sorry about nottingham!

Are you international or anything? Or do they send rejection via email to UK students as well?

I live in Switzerland, which isn't strictly in the EU, but was assessed as home for fee purposes, so I really don't know sorry.
I live in Switzerland, which isn't strictly in the EU, but was assessed as home for fee purposes, so I really don't know sorry.

Got my rejection from Notts too.. I'm an intl applicant.(India) :frown::frown::frown:

Got mine! Rejected!!:s-smilie:
Sorry to hear this guys! Anyone non-international got a rejection from nottingham or is it only international ones atm?
Gah, sorry to hear about Notts rejections guys :frown: They don't know what they're missing
Original post by chelsea2105
Sorry to hear this guys! Anyone non-international got a rejection from nottingham or is it only international ones atm?

Uh, i think i'm considered as home (from the eu)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
To add on to what ShellySpielberg said (Livvy is the only one out of that list that I applied to :tongue: ), Liv is giving interviews out in batches week by week, and as far as I'm aware they've only used 4/10 of the interview dates so far. Definitely not a rejection, no news is good news! :nah:

That's so good to hear .... although I'm starting to loose the plot now. :-) 8 inky applied to Liverpool due to circumstances and can't wait to hear. Xx just need to know, the waiting Is horrible. Xx xx

Hood luck everyone xx Fingers crossed xxx
Reply 4699
Hey everyone I'm a bit late but I just wandered if anyone else hasn't heard anything yet from any uni? still waiting for either rejection or interview from all of them!! I've applied to Edinburgh, Liverpool, Bristol and Nottingham
Thanks xx

Quick Reply

Latest