The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by young_guns
Actually, the evidence from Twitter suggests many of them are cheering on this vile attack.

I am talking about the Muslims that I personally know.
No doubt there will be some trying to justify the attack
Reply 281
Original post by Decorpi12

Security should be tightened even further.

Urgh.

I like their response to the firebombing.
Every national newspaper and magazine should print the images on their front pages in solidarity a week from today.
Every Shop office and home should do the same.
This is exactly the same situation as with Rushdie; it's pure medieval barbarism.

And those leftists who constantly tell us islamists do have legitimate grievances, that this is really about American/Israeli foreign policy... well, all of their pathetic excuses for these medievalists are bunk
Original post by simon_g
"Religion of Peace strikes again"

You mean a small group of people from a very large group of people strike again*
Original post by young_guns
So you're saying these people on Twitter are not actually people? Or that they don't really believe what they're saying? :dunce:

No I am not saying they are not people. The internet is full of trolls.
Original post by joe01223
why should they protest?

Are you for real.
Because I and a million others did so in London before the invasion of Iraq.
It is time for non radical Muslims to stand up and show that they don't want this.

This is from the BBC website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-30710777
Statement from Salman Rushdie, British author. The Booker Prize-winning writer has released the following statement:

"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms.

"This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today.

"I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity.

"'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."

Thoughts?
Original post by Radicalathiest
So what should the backlash be against muslims then?

Yeah lets charge all of them for the mistakes of a few, are you crazy.
Original post by caravaggio2
Are you for real.
It is time for non radical Muslims to stand up and show that they don't want this.

How can muslims be non-radical. They are either hypocrites in my opinion or radical. If you call yourself a muslim then you are obliged to follow its main rules, in particular CONDEMN many things that are acceptable in europe. E.g. homosexuality, freedom of speech - including cartoons about muhammed and allah etc...
Original post by caravaggio2
Are you for real.

well done for protesting against the invasion of Iraq!

Did they listen? No! they didnt give a toss!

If muslims protested, no one would care and it would fall on deaf ears. The media would not report it as its far too opposite of what they want to see.
Original post by She-Ra

Statement from Salman Rushdie, British author. The Booker Prize-winning writer has released the following statement:

"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms.

"This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today.

"I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity.

"'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."

Thoughts?

I completely agree with him.
Original post by shahbaz
Yeah lets charge all of them for the mistakes of a few, are you crazy.

Not what I said (straw-man)

a Muslim said 'Yes, the company should have faced some sort of backlash but not murder.'

So I asked what should the backlash against Muslims be

As I didn't ask you I don't know why you decided to reply to only my half of the thread:rolleyes:
Original post by joe01223
well done for protesting against the invasion of Iraq!

Did they listen? No! they didnt give a toss!

If muslims protested, no one would care and it would fall on deaf ears. The media would not report it as its far too opposite of what they want to see.

Yes that's right. If a million Muslims protested against this barbarism in Paris, it wouldn't be reported on would it.

Tell you what, give it a go anyway
Original post by Radicalathiest
Not what I said (straw-man)

a Muslim said 'Yes, the company should have faced some sort of backlash but not murder.'

So I asked what should the backlash against Muslims be

As I didn't ask you I don't know why you decided to reply to only my half of the thread:rolleyes:

By refering to mulsims you refere to everyone that has ties to the religion. Maybe you should be more specific and say what should the backlash against the gun men should be.
Original post by She-Ra

Thoughts?

Salman Rushdie knows of what he speaks; he more than almost anyone in the Western world understands how regressive and intolerant Islamofascism is.

I would add that Charlie Hebdo is a solidly left-wing magazine of the sort that Christopher Hitchens would have appreciated.

I hope the murderers are caught, sentenced to life in prison and locked up in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day.
Original post by She-Ra

Thoughts?

Rushdie is obviously completely correct. Religions are a hangover of superstitious beliefs from times when man's experience could be neither rationalised nor explained and understood. Modern man doesn't have the same excuses for holding such beliefs as his forebears did and, as the century progresses, they will wither on the vine of education. To be harming others in the name of such beliefs is both barbarically unacceptable in an advanced society and ridiculous.
Original post by She-Ra

Thoughts?

Absolutely spot on. Some on here could learn from him.
Reply 298
RIP.

Life is not worth it living fear.
Original post by Time Tourist
"Our sufferings today are the prelude of those you, Europeans and Western Christians, will also suffer in the near future. I lost my diocese. The physical setting of my apostolate has been occupied by Islamic radicals who want us converted or dead. But my community is still alive.

Please, try to understand us. Your liberal and democratic principles are worth nothing here. You must consider again our reality in the Middle East, because you are welcoming in your countries an ever growing number of Muslims. Also you are in danger. You must take strong and courageous decisions, even at the cost of contradicting your principles. You think all men are equal, but that is not true: Islam does not say that all men are equal. Your values are not their values. If you do not understand this soon enough, you will become the victims of the enemy you have welcomed in your home"

Archbishop Amel Nona
Chaldean Catholic Archeparch of Mosul, now exiled in Erbil
Corriere della Sera
August 9, 2014

Maybe he was trying to say the double standards of the west in the middle east and in Europe caused this mess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending