The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys I was thinking about travelling to Thailand with Original Volunteers in summer this year for 4 weeks with a friend. However, I was planning on teaching for 2 weeks and the other 2 weeks we wanted to travel but we don't really know where to go? Could someone help us out please, give us an insight on what to do, where the best places to go are? Are Original Volunteers a good program to go along with? So many questions, need so much help lol! thanks
Reply 141
Original post by britneybitch
Hi guys I was thinking about travelling to Thailand with Original Volunteers in summer this year for 4 weeks with a friend. However, I was planning on teaching for 2 weeks and the other 2 weeks we wanted to travel but we don't really know where to go? Could someone help us out please, give us an insight on what to do, where the best places to go are? Are Original Volunteers a good program to go along with? So many questions, need so much help lol! thanks

I'd think the main question you'd need to ask of Original Volunteers is how they prepare you for the teaching element. Personally I'm working as support staff in a British primary school and tbh even with two weeks' prior training I was still very much finding my feet in the first two weeks. You're still getting to know the kids, the environment, strategies that work, etc, so adding a language barrier & being at the front of the classroom adds an extra challenge.
got fired from my job a few days ago. no idea what to do now :frown:
I'm working up until june & then going to camp with Camp Leaders. I just started a blog about my experience/gap year. If anyone would care to read/follow/share it that'd be awesome! I have literally no idea what I'm doing so please people, be nice :smile:))
http://unexpectedgapyear.wordpress.com/
What is the typical things to do on a gap year other than skiing?😋
Original post by Tashie012345
What is the typical things to do on a gap year other than skiing?������

There's so much more to do other than skiing! Where in the world would you like to visit? You could spend the summer working at camp in the U.S or Canada with AmeriCamp or CampCanada. You could work and travel around Australia with AusJob or even teach in beautiful Thailand with ThaiJobs. Where ever you go there has to be some sun involved!
Original post by lllllllllll
got fired from my job a few days ago. no idea what to do now :frown:

aw man what happened??? back on that horse, when i do nothing is when i feel the worst
Hi guys just found this thread. I Originally planned a gap year since year 12 as I knew my uni application wouldn't be good enough. Secured a job as a hca in November but only about to start this coming Monday! During this time i was volunteering/working with different organisations and charities. Hopefully this year I can do things that I know during uni I wouldn't have time for. I Think first is driving lessons once i get paid haha. How's everyone else going?
Original post by weevilface
aw man what happened??? back on that horse, when i do nothing is when i feel the worst

I was temping at a gas company for a while and they found someone permanent to replace me :frown:
Original post by medicine2015
Hi guys just found this thread. I Originally planned a gap year since year 12 as I knew my uni application wouldn't be good enough. Secured a job as a hca in November but only about to start this coming Monday! During this time i was volunteering/working with different organisations and charities. Hopefully this year I can do things that I know during uni I wouldn't have time for. I Think first is driving lessons once i get paid haha. How's everyone else going?

I'm doing STEP and further maths for some reason lol. I spent last half of the gap year temping and now I'm helping my friends do gigs and also preparing for my exams :s I hope to visit my girlfriend in the summer however that seems unlikely since I'm spending all my money on tuition :eek::eek:
I'm doing STEP and further maths for some reason lol. I spent last half of the gap year temping and now I'm helping my friends do gigs and also preparing for my exams :s I hope to visit my girlfriend in the summer however that seems unlikely since I'm spending all my money on tuition :eek::eek:

STEP? U have a cambridge or warwick maths ofeR?
Original post by frigg113
STEP? U have a cambridge or warwick maths ofeR?

Computing at Imperial lol

It's not just me, quite a lot of people who've applied for computing there have received offers of A*A*A and a STEP II paper. I assume they have applied for mathematics and computing though :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Computing at Imperial lol

It's not just me, quite a lot of people who've applied for computing there have received offers of A*A*A and a STEP II paper. I assume they have applied for mathematics and computing though :tongue:

Lol my imperial maths offer is a*a*a* in m,fm,phys. No step, thats peak. Dw though my friend last year for maths had a step offer of grade 1 in STEP II. He met the alevel part of offer but got a 3 in STEP and they still let him in. Its a bit of a facade - i think they just want you to be more prepared by doing step rather than really expecting you to get a certain grade
Original post by frigg113
Lol my imperial maths offer is a*a*a* in m,fm,phys. No step, thats peak. Dw though my friend last year for maths had a step offer of grade 1 in STEP II. He met the alevel part of offer but got a 3 in STEP and they still let him in. Its a bit of a facade - i think they just want you to be more prepared by doing step rather than really expecting you to get a certain grade
haha don't make me over-confident! :biggrin: :biggrin:
https://unexpectedgapyear.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/motivation-monday/

hopefully some motivation/inspiration for people not knowing what to do with their gap years!
Hi everyone!
I'm a 34-year-old Italian mum. i've got 2 little girls and I'm looking for an au-pair for the summer. Anyone planning to visit Italy? We offer great conditions and opportunities!
Laura
Spent the last four months as a temp at a law firm and was let go on Friday, was amazing to get that but I can't help but feel guilty everyday doing nothing even though I was working double the hours I would have in a part time job.
Reply 157
Still working full time doing admin at the moment. Starting to take its toll a bit.
Still waiting on UCAS too!
Original post by LauraFilippini
Hi everyone!
I'm a 34-year-old Italian mum. i've got 2 little girls and I'm looking for an au-pair for the summer. Anyone planning to visit Italy? We offer great conditions and opportunities!
Laura

Hello! I was actually looking for some au pair work in the summer and I love Italy, whereabouts are you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest