The Student Room Group

How much will this affect my chances of (not) getting a graduate job?

I graduated in July 2014 (last year). I know it looks kind of bad that I haven't got a graduate job by now, but that's a mixture of laziness and getting rejected from the few graduate schemes I've applied for. :redface: I've made it a New Years Resolution to apply for many graduate schemes/jobs and hopefully get something by Easter.

My problem is this: I'm currently in a job, which is minimum wage working in a factory. It involves many repetitive tasks which drive you mental. The factory is full of chavs and immigrants who can barely speak English. I got it through an employment agency back in August, but I've put up with it long enough. The job is making me feel totally miserable and I want to quit. My first day after Christmas and New Year has only confirmed this. Initially I enjoyed the job, because it was my first proper paid job and felt like a new experience, plus getting my first few payslips were fun. But now I absolutely hate it - it's effectively slave labour, the supervisors shout at you like you're in the army and it feels really degrading. It's also getting in the way of my proper job search.

If I quit this job, how will it affect my chances of me getting (or not getting) a graduate job? My parents are putting significant pressure on me to stay in this job, because they believe it will really help me get a different job. But if it's making me completely miserable, and I'm applying to graduate roles which have no relation to minimum wage factory work, why should I stay in the job?
(edited 9 years ago)
Quit without delay.

Why the heck are you working for minimum wage anyway?

[bracing self for flood of 'any job is amazing in 'this economy' and you should be GRATEFUL to be mopping floors/cleaning toilets/flipping burgers/whatever other menial jobs are out there']
Reply 2
Original post by voiceofreason234
Quit without delay.

Why the heck are you working for minimum wage anyway?

[bracing self for flood of 'any job is amazing in 'this economy' and you should be GRATEFUL to be mopping floors/cleaning toilets/flipping burgers/whatever other menial jobs are out there']
Why do you say quit without delay?

I wanted a bit of money and thought it'd be some experience.

Yes there are definitely jobs out there, for anyone complaining there aren't. I got this one without much difficulty. I signed up with an employment agency and said I could work any job. They found me that job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by snowman77
Why do you say quit without delay?

I wanted a bit of money and thought it'd be some experience.

Yes there are definitely jobs out there, for anyone complaining there aren't. I got this one without much difficulty. I signed up with an employment agency and said I could work any job. They found me that job.

I say quit because it's making you unhappy and life is far too short to be slaving away in a factory for peanuts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending