The Student Room Group

Problems with Flatmates

I live in a 7 bedroom university owned accommodation, which at first I liked the idea of (I didn't get to choose how many people I loved with, or who these people were). However, slowly since September, I've discovered them to be very untidy and unhygienic. I've already complained to the hall manager twice, and the flat has received a warning about the cleanliness when a maintenance person came to our flat to fix something broken in the kitchen and said it was too untidy. I always empty the bins, wipe down the counters and put away dishes, but my flatmates don't help at all. Instead, they leave out food, dirty plates, rubbish, and spilled drinks etc all over the kitchen, which is our shared space. I have asked on multiple times for everyone to pull their weight especially since we had maggots and ants in the past, but I either get ignored or they tell me to mind my own business.

Is there anything I can do about this? I've considered moving out but I managed to get one of the few en-suite accommodations and I've grown to love my room and the location, so I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. Should I keep complaining, or should I just give up?
By the sounds of it you are in a loosing battle, you can continue to complain and nothing get done, put up with it and as the saying goes if you can't beat them join them, or you can enquire about whether there are any other places which are available and see whether they are better.
Original post by minishinny
I live in a 7 bedroom university owned accommodation, which at first I liked the idea of (I didn't get to choose how many people I loved with, or who these people were). However, slowly since September, I've discovered them to be very untidy and unhygienic. I've already complained to the hall manager twice, and the flat has received a warning about the cleanliness when a maintenance person came to our flat to fix something broken in the kitchen and said it was too untidy. I always empty the bins, wipe down the counters and put away dishes, but my flatmates don't help at all. Instead, they leave out food, dirty plates, rubbish, and spilled drinks etc all over the kitchen, which is our shared space. I have asked on multiple times for everyone to pull their weight especially since we had maggots and ants in the past, but I either get ignored or they tell me to mind my own business.

Is there anything I can do about this? I've considered moving out but I managed to get one of the few en-suite accommodations and I've grown to love my room and the location, so I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. Should I keep complaining, or should I just give up?

Been there. Done that. My advice: Stop cleaning and complaining and let the kitchen go to hell. Only clean the things you need and at the time you need them. Don't clean after you've cooked.

You have other things to think about than to worry about flat hygiene, especially when the rest of the flatmates don't care about it.
Reply 3
just tidy your OWN bit

if their mess is in your way, move it.

it's how we solved our mess of a kitchen
Original post by Joshale
just tidy your OWN bit

if their mess is in your way, move it.

it's how we solved our mess of a kitchen

I agree with this if you're using your own crockery, utensils and stuff. But my flat used everyone's stuff so if you cleaned after yourself, someone else would use it and not clean it.
Reply 5
Original post by Pink Boy
I agree with this if you're using your own crockery, utensils and stuff. But my flat used everyone's stuff so if you cleaned after yourself, someone else would use it and not clean it.

hm, we would generally tidy up if we used someone else's but if that happens try find an alternative e.g use someone else's of that thing you need to prove your point
moving out probably wont solve it as what you have said applies to 50% of student flats at least

to be honest you need to make a decision to either give up or clean it yourself, if other people don't want to help they wont... if you had several people on your side you might be able to pressure the others but you are the one standing on your own and you have to accept the majority rule

also, you're not going to win any favours by making complaints about your flatmates, all they will do is dislike you and refuse to listen to anything you suggest on principle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending