The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Master219
Yh, cam im done for and agreed abt impy.
hopefully ill see u next yr in cam :tongue: , imagine that!!! (if thats possible lol)

ahahaha.. well that's really hard to imagine.. but i guess these next 4-5 days are the days we still can :biggrin:
Original post by YvT1
ahahaha.. well that's really hard to imagine.. but i guess these next 4-5 days are the days we still can :biggrin:

lool, true that!!
Seems Oxford are getting their outcomes today... It's like a window to the future :s-smilie: Anyway, now need to while away a few days until our outcome day...
Reply 643
Original post by The_Top_Hat
Seems Oxford are getting their outcomes today... It's like a window to the future :s-smilie: Anyway, now need to while away a few days until our outcome day...

yeah.. a classmate of mine has applied to oxford and she is waiting for the letter.. but i believe that unless she asks for an email it will take ages for it to come to cyprus.. btw do u think is harder/easier to get to oxford?
Original post by YvT1
yeah.. a classmate of mine has applied to oxford and she is waiting for the letter.. but i believe that unless she asks for an email it will take ages for it to come to cyprus.. btw do u think is harder/easier to get to oxford?

For medicine? I have no idea. I mean I've always remembered the story of the last girl that I knew that got to cambridge medical school 4 years ago from my school, she got only 1 offer for medicine and that was from Cambridge. So in that respect, it was harder to get to Bristol (She was rejected there) than Cambridge for her.
All I know is that Oxford looks for a slightly more at GCSEs and some other aspects of the application whereas Cambridge looks closely at individuals UMS scores. They are just different and neither one is harder than the other to get into, it's just what you would prefer in a university (I chose Cambridge over Oxford because I prefer the area).
Original post by YvT1

Realistically it depends on your application! So if you had 15 A*'s and 90% UMS Oxford would be easier, but if you had less A*'s but like 100% UMS then Cambridge would be easier. It also depends on how you perform at interview, Oxford interview a much smaller proportion so even if you fluff your interview there's a higher chance you could still be picked... Essentially it depends on your own strengths and weaknesses.

Of course there's also the fact Cambridge is an A*A*A offer whereas I think Oxford is only 1 A* which I guess makes it a little easier?
Reply 646
Original post by The_Top_Hat
For medicine? I have no idea. I mean I've always remembered the story of the last girl that I knew that got to cambridge medical school 4 years ago from my school, she got only 1 offer for medicine and that was from Cambridge. So in that respect, it was harder to get to Bristol (She was rejected there) than Cambridge for her.
All I know is that Oxford looks for a slightly more at GCSEs and some other aspects of the application whereas Cambridge looks closely at individuals UMS scores. They are just different and neither one is harder than the other to get into, it's just what you would prefer in a university (I chose Cambridge over Oxford because I prefer the area).

yeah for medicine.. and yes you are rift about the gcses and oxford.. i also know a girl from my school who got into cambridge but didn't get any other offers.. yet i think it's bcs cambridge looks for a specific type of 'doctor' which doesn't interest other units as much.. it's the only logical explanation i can give to that.. I chose cambridge bcs other people from my school got places over the last couple of years.. approx 5 (not all medicine) so i was sort of inspired by them if u can call it that.. :smile:) and yes it is indeed beautiful!!
Reply 647
Original post by GuitaringMedic
Realistically it depends on your application! So if you had 15 A*'s and 90% UMS Oxford would be easier, but if you had less A*'s but like 100% UMS then Cambridge would be easier. It also depends on how you perform at interview, Oxford interview a much smaller proportion so even if you fluff your interview there's a higher chance you could still be picked... Essentially it depends on your own strengths and weaknesses.

Of course there's also the fact Cambridge is an A*A*A offer whereas I think Oxford is only 1 A* which I guess makes it a little easier?

yeah the offer cambridge gives are harder to get than oxford.. other than that i guess u are right.. it does depend on your strengths weaknesses.. it's sort of strange for me that the 2 'rival' unis have different offers.. one would expect them to give the same offers.. but anyhow if you get an offer from oxbridge usually it means you are in.. very few people do in fact miss their offers..
I'd managed to convince myself that I wouldn't mind not getting an offer because I love all my uni choices (which is true) but then I saw my friends when they heard back from Oxford today... I'm a lot more worried now :') Who else here applied to Emma? I'm not expecting an offer to be honest because my UMS was pretty low by most applicant standards (90.7%), BMAT wasn't too bad (6.8, 5.7, 3.5A), and I messed up on some easy stuff in my interviews (spent ages trying to think of a reason other than tax for why the government won't introduce minimum alcohol price thinking I had already mentioned tax...I hadn't) - I didn't think it was horrendous but it could definitely have been better.

Anyone heard anything about reinterviews?
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
I'd managed to convince myself that I wouldn't mind not getting an offer because I love all my uni choices (which is true) but then I saw my friends when they heard back from Oxford today... I'm a lot more worried now :') Who else here applied to Emma? I'm not expecting an offer to be honest because my UMS was pretty low by most applicant standards (90.7%), BMAT wasn't too bad (6.8, 5.7, 3.5A), and I messed up on some easy stuff in my interviews (spent ages trying to think of a reason other than tax for why the government won't introduce minimum alcohol price thinking I had already mentioned tax...I hadn't) - I didn't think it was horrendous but it could definitely have been better.

nope, but expecting a rejection for me :angry:
Reply 650
Been pooled :/ reinterview at Murray Edwards
Reply 651
Original post by liass

When did they let you know? And which college did you first apply to?

Good luck!
Reply 652
Original post by a123a
When did they let you know? And which college did you first apply to?

Good luck!

Emailed me about two hours ago. I applied to Christ's.
Original post by liass

What are your stats? And which college were you at originally?
Reply 654
Original post by liass

Thank you. Hope everything goes well for you. :smile:
Original post by liass

I applied to Christs too!! But I'm pretty sure I'm getting a rejection...
Original post by aLittleBookWorm

I applied to Emma as well- the med student who was taking me to my interview said he thought they'd been made harder this year. Mine was really hard. How was yours?
I'm not particularly confident as even though I got good ums (97%), my bmat was disappointing (5.7, 4.9, 4A). Tbh the best I'm hoping for is to get pooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 657
Original post by liass

Hey I applied to Christ's as well but haven't heard anything yet. My grades are pretty much the same as yours, 13A*s and 95UMS average. What did you get in the BMAT and how did you feel your interview went? Good luck with your interview at Murray Edwards btw
Reply 658
Original post by AG300
Hey I applied to Christ's as well but haven't heard anything yet. My grades are pretty much the same as yours, 13A*s and 95UMS average. What did you get in the BMAT and how did you feel your interview went? Good luck with your interview at Murray Edwards btw

Can't attend the interview at Murray Edwards- have chemistry coursework all day and can't miss it :frown:

Tbf I was expecting a straight out rejection, interview didn't go amazing and my BMAT was below that of most other applicants, so nothing special.
Surprised I was even pooled tbh
Original post by liass
Can't attend the interview at Murray Edwards- have chemistry coursework all day and can't miss it :frown:

Tbf I was expecting a straight out rejection, interview didn't go amazing and my BMAT was below that of most other applicants, so nothing special.
Surprised I was even pooled tbh

You can't just simply turn down a cambridge interview :eek4: You chance is fairly good, ~50%. And if you get re-interviewed you know you are cambridge material at least :smile:

Is it not possible to change the date of your chemistry coursework?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending