The Student Room Group

How much will this affect my chances of (not) getting a graduate job?

I graduated in July 2014 (last year). I know it looks kind of bad that I haven't got a graduate job by now, but that's a mixture of laziness and getting rejected from the few graduate schemes I've applied for. :redface: I've made it a New Years Resolution to apply for many graduate schemes/jobs and hopefully get something by Easter.

My problem is this: I'm currently in a job, which is minimum wage working in a factory. It involves many repetitive tasks which drive you mental. The factory is full of chavs and immigrants who can barely speak English. I got it through an employment agency back in August, but I've put up with it long enough. The job is making me feel totally miserable and I want to quit. My first day after Christmas and New Year has only confirmed this. Initially I enjoyed the job, because it was my first proper paid job and felt like a new experience, plus getting my first few payslips were fun. But now I absolutely hate it - it's effectively slave labour, the supervisors shout at you like you're in the army and it feels really degrading. It's also getting in the way of my proper job search.

If I quit this job, how will it affect my chances of me getting (or not getting) a graduate job? My parents are putting significant pressure on me to stay in this job, because they believe it will really help me get a different job. But if it's making me completely miserable, and I'm applying to graduate roles which have no relation to minimum wage factory work, why should I stay in the job?
Not by much, if you really hate it then leave it. Your reason could be you left due to career progression - but I would advise you to look for something ASAP then. You could also say you've done work experience at xyz to improve your chances at getting another job.
does this employer take people on to their books regularly ?

do they advertise other roles in the business ?

do you get on with the team leaders / supervisors / ops managers ?

do you get given any responsibility? Have you put yourself forward for responsibilities?

what have you learnt so far ?

what has it taught you about how to manage people or how NOT to manage people ?
Reply 3
Original post by zippyRN
does this employer take people on to their books regularly ?

do they advertise other roles in the business ?

do you get on with the team leaders / supervisors / ops managers ?

do you get given any responsibility? Have you put yourself forward for responsibilities?

what have you learnt so far ?

what has it taught you about how to manage people or how NOT to manage people ?
why are you asking all these questions?
Original post by snowman77
why are you asking all these questions?

you really do need to think long and hard ...

these are the questions anyone recruiting will want to know - to see what you've learnt in the role .,.
Reply 5
Original post by zippyRN
you really do need to think long and hard ...

these are the questions anyone recruiting will want to know - to see what you've learnt in the role .,.
I know how to answer those questions, but you didn't actually answer the question I asked.
to be honest my opinion would be that you should stay in the role... you may be asked why you left and employers probably wont like your attitude towards your current job (regardless of whether it is justified!) as it doesn't show much commitment, determination and resilience

you can keep looking for other non-grad roles too?
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
to be honest my opinion would be that you should stay in the role... you may be asked why you left and employers probably wont like your attitude towards your current job (regardless of whether it is justified!) as it doesn't show much commitment, determination and resilience

you can keep looking for other non-grad roles too?
too late, i already quit. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending