The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish

Well I knew people would disagree, but don't believe they're right in doing so.

But you knew people would get offended by comparing 12 people getting murdered to a bully getting punched.
Original post by Jemner01
As some.......ir foreign policy.

No, they murdered because of Cartoons.

Nothing to do with Bombings.

Nothing to do with Israel.

Sorry but not everything can be blamed on the US.
I can't wait for Fox News' reaction.
Original post by Lady Comstock
It doesn't even do that. It is merely words or images which can be ignored or thrown away. If I am offended by a TV programme, I simply switch it off and ignore it. Why Islamic extremists are not capable of doing the same says a lot about their nature and intelligence.

I agree with your approach in terms of turning something off or simply ignoring it - I'm the same.

That quote just struck a chord with me which is why I shared it.
Original post by noramaria
yes, but they speak in French so they might not be Islam.

They shouted 'Allahu Akbar' - how good is your French, mate?
The BBC has thankfully shown some of the cartoons on its 6 o'clock news. I applaud the news director for choosing to do so.
Original post by Sir Fox
They shouted 'Allahu Akbar' - how good is your French, mate?

They spoke French. and i know that is not French

I enjoyed reading that, thank you for sharing it.

Actually, they did shout Allahu Akbar, you can hear it clearly in one of the video.

Why are you trying to deny this was an islamofascist attack? What is your game?
Original post by DorianGrayism
No, they murdered because of Cartoons.

Nothing to do with Bombings.

Nothing to do with Israel.

Sorry but not everything can be blamed on the US.

I never made the claim that the massacre of journalists/cartoons is the direct result of the US repeatedly invading or funding invasions of the Middle-East for geopolitical reasons. I did make the claim that the religion of Islam isn't the only reason- and likely a secondary reason- as to why extremists and militants are attacking places in the Western world (Australia, Britain and now France have been in the news recently). I'd like to think that if the US and other nations had not intervened in the Middle-East at all, a lot of the targeting by (Muslim) extremists that is seen today would not be happening. I'm not blaming the US for "everything", nor am I apologising or attempting to justify some of the abhorrent actions that these extremists have done. For instance, I think territorial expansion and the attempt at re-forming a Caliphate is not a result of the US, but a result of religious fervour coupled with powergrabbing and civil revolt.

The formation and threat of Al Quaeda, IS and the many other terror groups based in or coming from the Middle-East does not justify the multiple military actions taken against these countires in the past. Writing off these interventions because these countires have responded with violent attacks on their own people, their neighbouring countries and now the West is one of the many injustices to arise from the fixation on the Middle-East.

Note: I'm a US citizen and I love the US despite its flaws. But even I can see how the actions of the US have been a main factor in the formation of terror groups and are partly responsible for sparking the attacks on the West. The ultimate responsibiility lies with the people commiting the crimes against humanity- in this case, the two gunmen. I'm not attesting to that.

Did you actually watch any of the videos? They might have spoken French in instances, but they also shouted 'Allahu Akbar', which leaves little room to not interpret it as an Islamist attack.
i think its wrong to associate Islam with this attack because it hasn't even been confirmed that the attack was in any way an Islam attack

It's not gonna be anyone else, is it...
This is the signature I'm seeing all around the web and forums:

"I am Charlie."

Reply 333
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
It's obviously more than a cartoon. The prophet is revered in a way that most can't comprehend (as there's not really a similar figure, could say Jesus in Christianity), and depictions are a big no-no. Of course you can argue freedom of speech, but what is there to gain from these cartoons bar spreading hatred?

Sorry, but that is a very worrying mentality and I hope most people don't share your sentiments. Are you honestly saying is that these cartoonists should not have the right to make these cartoons for the SOLE fact that "the prophet is revered"?
It can't be one rule for some and one rule for the others. Freedom of speech should be exactly what it says on the tin. The same freedom of speech that pokes fun at Islam is the same freedom of speech making fun of Christians, feminists, homosexuals, "people of colour", vegetarians you name it.
So what is the one thing that leads people to separate Islam from these other groups, hmm? Believe me, it's not the fact that "the prophet is revered". It's the (debatably inordinate) FEAR of backlash that those other groups don't tend to evoke. So to say that we shoud back down against extremists is to succumb to their agenda - it's called terrorism for a reason. smh
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 334
Original post by missfats
Can you actually, just post a hadith that shows this?
TheWikiIslam website, never fails to confuse me.
Ka'b bin al-Ashraf was a poet who criticized and mocked the Islamic prophet, Muhammad, who, in turn, ordered him to be killed.
http://hadithcollection.com/sahihbukhari/78-Sahih%20Bukhari%20Book%2045.%20Mortgaging/3244--shahih-bukhari-volume-003-book-045-hadith-number-687.html

Yet you seem to pick the "opposite reinterpretation", when Islam is presented in good light due to your own perfect agenda against this theology. And pick the original interpretation, when it's in a bad light to score points. I guess what perfectly describes people like you, in your own words is " the disingenuous and mendacious".
I do not "pick" any interpretation. I merely highlight the fact that there is more than one legitimate, scripturally supported version, depending on which source you use.

It is the insisting that there is only one that is disingenuous and mendacious
It is the insisting that Muhammad never had his critics killed, for example, and that therefore killing a critic of Muhammad is "unIslamic" that is disingenuous and mendacious, not the pointing out that he did.
Just seen these comments on Yasir Qadhi's page on Facebook. Shaking my head.

INSULT
PROPHET MUHAMMAS(saw) will surely be killed. simple, how comes this guys
being insulting our beloved prophets in cartoonist and being allowed to
live freely????.. Now the lesson is learned, its a good warning to all
these european medias. Now lets see if any media will try again.

Who said that was done by islamist ???!! Anyone could yell " ALLAH Akbar " it is a GAME FROM FRANCE to justify their crimes against innocent Muslims by killing more and more from them especially in Africa. It could be done by the Mosaad who live in France exactly as the one who did the actions of 11-9 of America !
AND one more thing , Muslims are already suffering SIR ! But still we keep SAYING SORRY while America , France , UK and etc .. NEVER SAID OR FELT sorry for killing innocent Muslims for decades !!

I'm not sorry for a crime which I AM sure was not done by Muslim ! And france is hating islam already and it is a racist country anyway !

Whoever curses Rasulullah (saw) should be killed. If you cant speak the truth then stay at home you Qadhiani.

who said it was done by muslims anyway.
Govt officials dress as muslim to kill non muslim to spread unrest. The media well known for its islamophobe bias will start spinning and put key words like terrorist (BTW on their terms its not terrorist what t
hey are doing in Afghanistan , Pakistan and Palestine) and hijack to highlight the Islamic fake threat and put fear in the non-muslims .
No this has fake all over it,
9/11
7/7
Mumbia attack
Boston bombing

All inside jobs to blame muslims

The worst of the worst of Muslim have only achieve is stabbing an innocent person - yet that doesn't get reported, but all out sophisticated heist does. Plus what about the terroist done by the far-right and Zionist ? no its a set up to blame Muslims so that Muslim can be put in gustavo/guantanamo bay type prison to exterminate the Muslim once for all.
Yasir Qadhi I understand and appreciate what you are doing but this event is purely false to put the blame on Muslim only as once before in the past.
Reply 336
Original post by shahbaz
Maybe he was trying to say the double standards of the west in the middle east and in Europe caused this mess.
I wondered how long it would be before some genius tried to blame The West™ for today's atrocity.

Well done.
As soon as i heard about the attack i didn't even have to ask who the perpetrators were...

The decent Muslims, of which the vast majority are, need to stop radical fascist terrorists from doing these things.
Original post by Jemner01
I never made the claim that the massacre of journalists/cartoons is the direct result of the US repeatedly invading or funding invasions of the Middle-East for geopolitical reasons. I did make the claim that the religion of Islam isn't the only reason- and likely a secondary reason- as to why extremists and militants are attacking places in the Western world (Australia, Britain and now France have been in the news recently). I'd like to think that if the US and other nations had not intervened in the Middle-East at all, a lot of the targeting by (Muslim) extremists that is seen today would not be happening. I'm not blaming the US for "everything", nor am I apologising or attempting to justify some of the abhorrent actions that these extremists have done. For instance, I think territorial expansion and the attempt at re-forming a Caliphate is not a result of the US, but a result of religious fervour coupled with powergrabbing and civil revolt.

The formation and threat of Al Quaeda, IS and the many other terror groups based in or coming from the Middle-East does not justify the multiple military actions taken against these countires in the past. Writing off these interventions because these countires have responded with violent attacks on their own people, their neighbouring countries and now the West is one of the many injustices to arise from the fixation on the Middle-East.

Note: I'm a US citizen and I love the US despite its flaws. But even I can see how the actions of the US have been a main factor in the formation of terror groups and are partly responsible for sparking the attacks on the West. The ultimate responsibiility lies with the people commiting the crimes against humanity- in this case, the two gunmen. I'm not attesting to that.

The militants have said why they are attacking those offices. They attacked them because of cartoons.

It is the same reason why they murdered a Japanese translator, 30 years ago over Rushdie's book.

The insane reaction is exactly the same.

Whether you would like to talk about it or not, the reality is that irrational belief that the Qu'ran is a perfect document and that Mohammed is the next best thing next to God has led these extreme reactions.
It's all very well that Western leaders are queuing up to defend freedom of speech, but they've been destroying it for years now - funny how they're only willing to defend it in the face of a terrorist attack.

The French police have a case to answer here too. Specific threats were made against the magazine a few days ago, yet the police failed to commit any additional resources to defending them.

The UK's response to terrorism receives a lot of criticism and usually rightly so, but I can guarantee that if, say, Private Eye were threatened with violence some form of armed guard would be deployed to protect them ASAP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending