The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkhan12
Does anyone know how long it takes CMS Cameron McKenna (or any firm) to respond after sitting the Watson Glaser?

I'm waiting for them too :/
Reply 941
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can put down for a company/organisation referee??? For academic, I have put down my personal tutor but I am unsure of who to put down for a company/organisation referee as the only significant work experience I have had so far is working for my family business and I don't really think I can put my father down as my referee....... I've had some previous volunteering experience at a local charity shop but that has since closed down and I can't contact the manager who used to work there. For legal experience I have only been on open days so far. Any advice would be helpful because I can't send off some of my apps until I fill in this section!!!!
Reply 942
Hi guys,

I haven't used The Student Room for a fair few years now. I hope you guys can assist me :smile: I have AAB in my A-levels. Graduated with a 2.1 in Law from a redbrick university (not BPP/Uni of Law). And am currently studying the LPC at a University. I have applied for vacation schemes/training contracts since my penultimate year, but have never been successful.

I was wondering whether I would be eligible to apply for vacation schemes? Because most firms state that this opportunity is for for penultimate and final year students. Also am I right in saying that I should not waste my time applying to the big firms because they tend to send their future trainees to BPP/Uni of Law and I am not studying my LPC there? Or is this irrelevant?

Currently applied for vacation schemes/training contracts for IM, HD and DWF. I know that DWF is not on a rolling basis. Has anybody heard back form IM or HD yet?

:biggrin:
A&O assessment day - has anyone else done one recently?
Reply 944
ashurst interview - anyone had any experience with the firm!?

also got an email from kirkland & ellis about my application being put on hold - i noticed a few others had this email - has anyone actually got an interview date yet?

thanks!
Reply 945
Original post by waza_11
Hi guys,

I haven't used The Student Room for a fair few years now. I hope you guys can assist me :smile: I have AAB in my A-levels. Graduated with a 2.1 in Law from a redbrick university (not BPP/Uni of Law). And am currently studying the LPC at a University. I have applied for vacation schemes/training contracts since my penultimate year, but have never been successful.

I was wondering whether I would be eligible to apply for vacation schemes? Because most firms state that this opportunity is for for penultimate and final year students. Also am I right in saying that I should not waste my time applying to the big firms because they tend to send their future trainees to BPP/Uni of Law and I am not studying my LPC there? Or is this irrelevant?

Currently applied for vacation schemes/training contracts for IM, HD and DWF. I know that DWF is not on a rolling basis. Has anybody heard back form IM or HD yet?

Hi there,

i'm a final year law student, late to the game with the apps and i've got interviews at firms. i've asked people the same question and they offer vac schemes to those doing their lpcs - most firms don't mind what stage your at, as long as you don't mind starting your training contract at a later date if that makes sense.

hope that helps
Reply 946
Original post by boing36
Hi there,

i'm a final year law student, late to the game with the apps and i've got interviews at firms. i've asked people the same question and they offer vac schemes to those doing their lpcs - most firms don't mind what stage your at, as long as you don't mind starting your training contract at a later date if that makes sense.

hope that helps

Thank you - much appreciated :smile:

Which firms have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 947
Original post by waza_11
Thank you - much appreciated :smile:

Which firms have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?

i've applied to mainly american firms - had an interview at shearman & sterling and have interviews at latham watkins and mayer brown. also applied to kirkland & ellis and weil but haven't heard anything from them! and got rejected from sullivan & cromwell and cleary gottlieb.
Reply 948
Mayer Brown are holding interviews this week. Anyone had it already and is kind enough to let us know how it went? Good luck everyone!
Original post by boing36
i've applied to mainly american firms - had an interview at shearman & sterling and have interviews at latham watkins and mayer brown. also applied to kirkland & ellis and weil but haven't heard anything from them! and got rejected from sullivan & cromwell and cleary gottlieb.

Might I ask when you applied for Latham & Watkins and Cleary?
Original post by boing36
ashurst interview - anyone had any experience with the firm!?

also got an email from kirkland & ellis about my application being put on hold - i noticed a few others had this email - has anyone actually got an interview date yet?

thanks!

Hey! Congrats for the interview! Could you tell me when you applied?
Reply 951
Original post by Kidioteque
Might I ask when you applied for Latham & Watkins and Cleary?

cleary a while ago i think like beginning of dec and they reject you by post haha

latham i applied for 10 dec and they got back to me within the week
Reply 952
Original post by trisha.b
Hey! Congrats for the interview! Could you tell me when you applied?

applied ashurst 29th dec, thanks!
Original post by Canariecurrie
Hi! please can I get detailed information on the process? Mine is in a few days. Thanks

No, sorry. I would have been happy to answer a few general questions but I'm not going to sit here and type out every question they asked.
Original post by waza_11
Hi guys,

Hey - I am an LPC graduate and have been applying for Vac Schemes :smile: there are some that are only open to people at certain points in their education but there are also lots that are open to people who are further on.

I have also applied to HD and not heard anything. I will be reapplying to IM this year (I applied last year and had a telephone interview but was unsuccessful after that) so can only say that last year they were pretty quick to reply after application (4 days for a TC) but it may be different for VS. Also about not studying at Uni of Law/BPP - I haven't come across a firm yet that won't let you apply because you attended a different LPC provider (I have applied to firms that have stated they want future trainees to study at BPP and I went to Uni of Law and, when I emailed they said that was fine). Again - there may be some firms where this is different but that's just what I've come across.

I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by boing36

Can I ask when you applied to Shearman? :smile:
Original post by boing36
cleary a while ago i think like beginning of dec and they reject you by post haha

latham i applied for 10 dec and they got back to me within the week

Jesus, to reject by post seems quite archaic. Congrats on the Latham interview anyway, when is it? Hopefully they get back to me at some point soon.
Reply 957
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Can I ask when you applied to Shearman? :smile:

yep i applied early/mid dec - i heard back within a week so they are quite quick!
Reply 958
Original post by Kidioteque
Jesus, to reject by post seems quite archaic. Congrats on the Latham interview anyway, when is it? Hopefully they get back to me at some point soon.

it's next week! let me know if you get an interview i'm happy to let you know how it went/what it was like!
Original post by boing36
applied ashurst 29th dec, thanks!

A friend of mine interviewed at Ashurst and was offered a TC. He told me the interview is brutal, they're looking for someone who can stand their ground. I hope this helps you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending