The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilovemyrace
White's resent immigrants because you've made us foreigners in our own homeland. It's not just Britain, it's France, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, everywhere!We didn't vote for this, who would? something very sinister and evil is going on. Also it doesn't help people shout racism and make it hatred to oppose immigration.

Isn't it the governments fault then for mass immigration who are mainly white not the immigrants themselves??? So is the government evil???
Original post by queen-bee
I'm this tanned,olive tone but a light down,I think it's because my exotic feautures,they realised I wasn't originally from here :tongue:
They were well dressed,I'm guessing business men and this happened in a nice part of london in kensington and Chelsea

Well, all I can say is don't entertain narrow-minded people. It's not worth anything. You're probably quite busy with your own life stuff. You don't need some unnecessary confrontation to rattle you. How old were they anyway?

Just know that a lot of people out there aren't pleasant at all. Don't let them tell you what you are or what you're not. Only you know.
Reply 22
Original post by Inglisred
Well, all I can say is don't entertain narrow-minded people. It's not worth anything. You're probably quite busy with your own life stuff. You don't need some unnecessary confrontation to rattle you. How old were they anyway?

Just know that a lot of people out there aren't pleasant at all. Don't let them tell you what you are or what you're not. Only you know.

They looked like they were in their early 30's
Don't believe this happened.

Some random guys in the poshest part of London come and start blaming you for Paris attacks? Sounds absurd.

This causes you to have an epiphany in life rather than OH **** I AM SCARED.
will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?!

50% of London is foreign born, so yes.

A couple of blokes who are most likely in UKIP, do not represent the rest of the British population...
Reply 25
Original post by iamsuperwoman
I look like a white girl, just how my self-hating arab dad wanted. ¬__¬ My hair is my give away. LOL, I could supply weaves for days!

Omg, I think my black hair and eye brows gave it away!!! The Arab feautures are strong :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by DorianGrayism
Don't believe this happened.

Some random guys in the poshest part of London come and start blaming you for Paris attacks? Sounds absurd.

This causes you to have an epiphany in life rather than OH **** I AM SCARED.

If you're going to be an ass,don't bother commenting
So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

You are civically British (in that you have a passport), but you cannot ever be British because British is the ethnicity of the English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish; it is the ethnicity of the indigenous people of these isles, just as is Indian for the Indians, for example. With regards to the “culture” of today's society, it is completely consumeristic and hedonistic, and thus degenerate; wherever modernity's moral taints are to be seen, such ways are to be seen. So there is nought intrinsically British about such “culture”; merely it is the Occident's post-culture, the visible signs of the downfall of the Occident.
Original post by majatheaztec
I'm a halfie or hapa. My mother is Ethnic Chinese Indonesian and my father is German. I've lived in 5 different countries :/ I've always struggled with that, and have intentionally chosen a university that is surrounded by a warm and international community.

I know how its like to face discrimination and racism based on your looks. It is best if you just carry on with your day, unless it is definitely police report worthy (I have reported a racist to the police!). You have the right to feel safe! I'm so sorry about your experience :frown:

Also half Chinese, half German. There is a lot of racists around, but I have been desensitized a long time ago. The ones I have met tend to be the skinhead and EDL variety, generally poorly educated and brought up people.

As for acceptance I don't give a damn, if they don't accept me then **** them, if they do then good.
Reply 29
Original post by iammeyouareyou
White people getting riled about immigration. Karma's a bitch.

Lol,you're about to start world war 3
Reply 30
Original post by Tom_Ford
Also half Chinese, half German. There is a lot of racists around, but I have been desensitized a long time ago. The ones I have met tend to be the skinhead and EDL variety, generally poorly educated and brought up people.

As for acceptance I don't give a damn, if they don't accept me then **** them, if they do then good.

But you live in their land :tongue:
So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

Take that as a compliment. You don't ever want to be British. No one wants to be British. Britain is the scum of Europe. The term 'Britain' means the same as 'scum' 'chav' 'thug' 'uneducated' 'racist' 'bigot' etc...

Be proud of your far superior heritage. I'd kill for some Italian in me! Your country created the 'knowledge' we know of today. The Renaissance, religion, art, music and culture and all that swag.
But you live in their land :tongue:

And as they proudly boast themselves, their ancestors tried to take over the world. Karma is a bitch. Besides, if you told ever coloured person to **** off abroad and the foreign concurrently told British expats etc to return to the UK, the UK population would be much more overpopulated than it is now.

So, go ahead, tell us to **** off.
Hey!
I'm so sorry you got insulted in this manner. :frown:
Personally, I feel much safer in Britain since it so mixed (well, in Birmingham and compared to where I live) and, as a mixed person, it makes me happy to see so many mixed people :biggrin:
French people are much more racist, in my experience. And with what happened to Charlie Hebdo today, I fear it's gonna get worse :frown:
It's not something I've given a lot of thought to, but yes I do feel accepted. I live in a predominantly white area in the south-east, and although I've heard a few childish comments here and there, thankfully I've never had any major problems with it. I do feel that by not looking like someone of English descent, I do capture people's attention.
Reply 35
Original post by Tom_Ford
And as they proudly boast themselves, their ancestors tried to take over the world. Karma is a bitch. Besides, if you told ever coloured person to **** off abroad and the foreign concurrently told British expats etc to return to the UK, the UK population would be much more overpopulated than it is now.

So, go ahead, tell us to **** off.

But where would we go?!! I can't return back to Syria.. I guess I could go to Italy :tongue:
Original post by ProudEnglishman
You are civically British (in that you have a passport), but you cannot ever be British because British is the ethnicity of the English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish; it is the ethnicity of the indigenous people of these isles, just as is Indian for the Indians, for example. With regards to the “culture” of today's society, it is completely consumeristic and hedonistic, and thus degenerate; wherever modernity's moral taints are to be seen, such ways are to be seen. So there is nought intrinsically British about such “culture”; merely it is the Occident's post-culture, the visible signs of the downfall of the Occident.

Hahahahahahahaha

I laugh at your pathetic excuse for racism

What does 'ethnically British' even mean? What does 'indigenous' mean? At what point do you stop becoming a migrant from Africa from the first humans (which we all are) and start becoming ethnically British? Is it when your skin turns white?
Lol,you're about to start world war 3

Just another day on TSR then.

Don't worry about it OP. Some people are *****. In this day and age everyone seems to feel a little out of sync with the world around them. It just so happens that, for people who are from 'ethnic' backgrounds, that feeling often manifests in forms of cultural/racial dissonances. It doesn't help when you have experiences like the one you described (believe me I know) but you've just got to keep your chin up and live your life.
Reply 38
Original post by jedanselemyia
Hey!
I'm so sorry you got insulted in this manner. :frown:
Personally, I feel much safer in Britain since it so mixed (well, in Birmingham and compared to where I live) and, as a mixed person, it makes me happy to see so many mixed people :biggrin:
French people are much more racist, in my experience. And with what happened to Charlie Hebdo today, I fear it's gonna get worse :frown:

Where I live,it's 90% french in South kensington so I have to cope with their annoyingness on a daily basis!
Reply 39
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Just another day on TSR then.

Don't worry about it OP. Some people are *****. In this day and age everyone seems to feel a little out of sync with the world around them. It just so happens that, for people who are from 'ethnic' backgrounds, that feeling often manifests in forms of cultural/racial dissonances. It doesn't help when you have experiences like the one you described (believe me I know) but you've just got to keep your chin up and live your life.

I don't even want to be british,I just want to feel safe in 'their land'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending