The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Attached is my Mock draft, with explanations.

It's just for the first round, but I would be interested to know your thoughts. It's not exactly way to early to think about the draft, despite the playoffs going on....:P I haven't exactly accounted for trades, and have just used seedings to determine the playoff order.

(It's actually my second mock draft, but the first one needed a fair bit of tweaking).

Spoiler

Bet the Bills are kicking themselves on the Watkins trade. If they'd have waited they would have gotten OBJ and then had this year's pick (where I'd have traded up and taken Mariota). They're a couple of pieces away from a playoff run
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Bet the Bills are kicking themselves on the Watkins trade. If they'd have waited they would have gotten OBJ and then had this year's pick (where I'd have traded up and taken Mariota). They're a couple of pieces away from a playoff run

Yep. How they could have done with that first rounder. Hindsight is always 20/20, and while I still think the Watkins pick was the right one, they gave up an extra pick, which is costly.

Not that it would have been a real deal until Orton retired. Now they need a QB. Badly. Mariota would be gone in the first 5 picks. They would have to swap firsts, and give up multiple first rounders to get him. At number 19, the Bills would have had an unfavorable base for that trade.

That said, it's the Kyle Orton situation which has really screwed them over. There's a good chance that a decent QB like Garratt Grayson slips to #19 due to team needs, so they could have got a decent QB repalacement, had they had their first-rounder. If he gets past the likes of Chicago and St. Louis. Grayson might not even get past the Cardinals at this rate.

But...in the second...nuh-uh. No way does Grayson slip to #19 in the second. He might not even get past Tennessee, yet alone Chicago and St. Louis. And that will mean come the second round, Buffalo (and Arizona as well) would need to reach for inferior prospects. Dak Prescott isn't exactly terrible, and I would expect him to declare, but the likes of Bryce Petty, Everett Golson and Brett Hundley aren't exactly terrible either...but there's a bit of a drop-off after Dak Prescott really.
Orton already said he wanted to retire at the end of last season, this shouldn't have surprised them. Honestly the main thing that has screwed the Bills over is their franchise quarterback turning out not to be very good. It's a shame, and not an easy thing to see coming because he looked good in college, but these things happen. Orton was a stop-gap anyway, they should be able to sign or trade for another one of those if they can't draft anyone.
Original post by SmashConcept
Orton already said he wanted to retire at the end of last season, this shouldn't have surprised them. Honestly the main thing that has screwed the Bills over is their franchise quarterback turning out not to be very good. It's a shame, and not an easy thing to see coming because he looked good in college, but these things happen. Orton was a stop-gap anyway, they should be able to sign or trade for another one of those if they can't draft anyone.

True...the fact that he was previously retired, and had to unretire does suggest that he had tendencies to retire, but I don't think the Bills were quite expecting him to not turn up to a meeting and just slip away into retirement, because as a stop-gap solution/backup, there are not many better than Kyle Orton.

It's all up in the air really, at this point, but that relatively young Bills defense needed a veteran hand to guide it. Luke McCown could be a solid 'bridge', but other than that, I'm not too sure. The other quarterbacks who could fit free agency or be on the trade block, don't actually inspire too much confidence. They are either overpaid, failed-franchise QB's (Hello...Cutler), marginal talents, or just injure prone (Locker and Bradford).

I want to see which franchise takes a punt on Locker and Bradford as a reclamation project. They have the talent, but cannot stay healthy....
Surely the Bills will be in for a reclamation project and one of the QB fallers in the later rounds? I know nothing about college players that far down the list but surely there'll be a Zac Mettenberger type (in draft position) guy to be had down there somewhere.
I didn't really like the Watkins pick. It was too deep of a receiver class to trade up for a relatively small receiver, no matter how good. I hope the Bills find someone to play QB, I like them.
Yeah the thing with the Watkins pick was that it wasn't like the receiving class was really shallow and they were direly in need of a WR. It just felt a little rushed, like there wasn't much thought there. Word was that Doug Marrone didn't like it either, hence him leaving. Leaves them in a bit of a hole when they're really just a couple of pieces from a deep post-season run.
Did you catch JJ Watt on Twitter? JJ Watt on bae and totes is frankly hilarious.
Original post by Wattsy
Surely the Bills will be in for a reclamation project and one of the QB fallers in the later rounds? I know nothing about college players that far down the list but surely there'll be a Zac Mettenberger type (in draft position) guy to be had down there somewhere.

Yeah the thing with the Watkins pick was that it wasn't like the receiving class was really shallow and they were direly in need of a WR. It just felt a little rushed, like there wasn't much thought there. Word was that Doug Marrone didn't like it either, hence him leaving. Leaves them in a bit of a hole when they're really just a couple of pieces from a deep post-season run.

Probably someone like Bryce Petty. Grant Hedrick, of BSU, could be available in the later rounds. He has sound mechanics, but is undersized. The problem is, even teams like the Saints could do with a QB.Brett Hundley could go anyway between the second and fourth rounds. They at least recouped the fourth-rounder, with the trade of Stevie Johnson, and since the 49ers did terrible, they have an even better pick in the fourth. It's not a complete disaster for the bills.
God it feels like it's been ages since we last played!

Nerves starting to kick in :lol:
Who is watching the cowboys game tomorrow?

6pm start our time.

I need to just find a good place to watch it online.

Is there a legal option for this or not? (I've just googled it and found random sites before)
Original post by Motorbiker

6pm start our time.

Is there a legal option for this or not? (I've just googled it and found random sites before)

Well the legal way online would be nfl game pass but you gotta pay for that. Otherwise just use a stream :lol:

6pm start our time.

Original post by Malevolent
Well the legal way online would be nfl game pass but you gotta pay for that. Otherwise just use a stream :lol:

Game Pass (frustratingly) won't let you watch the playoff games live because they're being shown on Sky Sports, all about contracts and stuff. You can watch the whole game after it's over but I'm guessing you want it live, in which case either having Sky Sports or streaming it online are the only ways :frown: Game Pass is only really good for watching regular season games or watching games between February and August when you miss the NFL :wink:
Nervous about the 'Hawks game too :frown: I can't face losing to the Panthers
Original post by Malevolent

Game Pass (frustratingly) won't let you watch the playoff games live because they're being shown on Sky Sports, all about contracts and stuff. You can watch the whole game after it's over but I'm guessing you want it live, in which case either having Sky Sports or streaming it online are the only ways :frown: Game Pass is only really good for watching regular season games or watching games between February and August when you miss the NFL :wink:

That sucks.

Is there a one day pass I can buy for sky sports website?

I have spare cash and would happily pay a little to watch it good quality, no stopping etc since the streams I use always suck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nervous about the 'Hawks game too :frown: I can't face losing to the Panthers

It's weird what the playoffs does to you!

You know you wouild win 8 or 9 times out of 10 but because it's a darn one and done it's so tense, no second chances. The better team doesn't always win either. You don't get it with nhl or nba lol
That sucks.

Is there a one day pass I can buy for sky sports website?

I have spare cash and would happily pay a little to watch it good quality, no stopping etc since the streams I use always suck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

NowTV do a Sky Sports 1 week pass for £10.99

http://http://www.nowtv.com/sports
Original post by Wattsy
NowTV do a Sky Sports 1 week pass for £10.99

http://http://www.nowtv.com/sports

Awesome. Thanks. Just read about the box here.
http://www.simplifydigital.co.uk/providers/now-tv/now-tv-a-buying-guide/

I'll probably just go for the 24 hour pass tbh but still. Will buy one of these on my way back from the gym today.

Then enjoy cowboys kicking packers ass tomorrow. :wink:

Demarco Murray will erase any ice bowl repeat memories any green Bay fans have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cowboys Packers and Pats Ravens are basically unpickable games IMO. Should be good.

Latest