The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
But where would we go?!! I can't return back to Syria.. I guess I could go to Italy :tongue:

Our problem, not theirs. But besides, I would like to see a little chaos in the world so don't really care.

Seen many mixed kids with big identity issues trying their best to fit in with the whites and ignoring the other side. That is not a way to live man, not at all.
Hate to say this, but the French just ask for trouble from the extremists. It's like you treat these guys lower than you treat **** on your shoe, of course they are going to try and butcher you. If these guys living in the banlieue have nothing more than their faith and little money/social mobility, of course they are going to support causes like this, it is a natural byproduct of the French treating them like **** and bullying them socially/religiously. It's a disaster which the French did little to try and avoid.
Reply 42
Original post by Tom_Ford
Our problem, not theirs. But besides, I would like to see a little chaos in the world so don't really care.

Seen many mixed kids with big identity issues trying their best to fit in with the whites and ignoring the other side. That is not a way to live man, not at all.

To be honest,I never really gave a **** about fitting in with whites when I was a teenager,both my exs were international,altho one was half british and half russian but now it's like I'm really conscious about this whole thing,I get scared of dating white guys for this reason altho there is one who is the love of my life and essentially family to me.
Where I live,it's 90% french in South kensington so I have to cope with their annoyingness on a daily basis!

I understand your struggle!
All the racist experiences I had were with French people. It's not easy to connect with my white French side, as a result.
France does not know how to deal with minorities the way Britain does.
Reply 44
Original post by jedanselemyia
I understand your struggle!
All the racist experiences I had were with French people. It's not easy to connect with my white French side, as a result.
France does not know how to deal with minorities the way Britain does.

I have a muslim friend in France who complains of the same issues as thee
To be honest,I never really gave a **** about fitting in with whites when I was a teenager,both my exs were international,altho one was half british and half russian but now it's like I'm really conscious about this whole thing,I get scared of dating white guys for this reason altho there is one who is the love of my life and essentially family to me.

Good on you. I feel the same, I think if I did not look 'aesthetic' I would be treated like just another minority/mixed race who is invisible and of lower caste. The average very ordinary looking white guy has it much easier than unaesthetic minorities. Which is partly why I cannot take westernized girls (both white and otherwise) seriously, I would only ever view them as sex. Chances are they would be brought up to worship the white side like it was gospel. Not that that is wrong, it's just that they hate their minority side and don't worship it equally.
Where I live,it's 90% french in South kensington so I have to cope with their annoyingness on a daily basis!

Though the only Coptic church in London is indeed in Kensington?
Reply 47
Good on you. I feel the same, I think if I did not look 'aesthetic' I would be treated like just another minority/mixed race who is invisible and of lower caste. The average very ordinary looking white guy has it much easier than unaesthetic minorities. Which is partly why I cannot take westernized girls (both white and otherwise) seriously, I would only ever view them as sex. Chances are they would be brought up to worship the white side like it was gospel. Not that that is wrong, it's just that they hate their minority side and don't worship it equally.

I think that's the norm in western society.
Reply 48
Original post by oxymoronical
Though the only Coptic church in London is indeed in Kensington?

I wanted to go there for the first time on New Years eve with a TSR buddy,have you ever been?
Reply 49
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Hahahahahahahaha

I laugh at your pathetic excuse for racism

What does 'ethnically British' even mean? What does 'indigenous' mean? At what point do you stop becoming a migrant from Africa from the first humans (which we all are) and start becoming ethnically British? Is it when your skin turns white?

Preach brother
Reply 50

On the contrary its so unfashionable to be anglo saxon, whether that means exaggerating Irish heritage or pretending to be native american

Internalized racism is pretty funny, as my old Gran used to say they must want to paint their faces white and be done with it all :lol:. Not a way to live. Your white boyfriend will not make you white :lol: .
Reply 52
Internalized racism is pretty funny, as my old Gran used to say they must want to paint their faces white and be done with it all :lol:. Not a way to live. Your white boyfriend will not make you white :lol: .

I have a friend who had this same mentality,she thought that by having a white boyfriend,people would view her differently and she would be more accepted with his family but it never quite worked for her and she passed down her words of wisdom
Original post by Borgia
On the contrary its so unfashionable to be anglo saxon, whether that means exaggerating Irish heritage or pretending to be native american

I think it is more the fact that it's the "one drop of minority blood and you're a minority" rule that seems to be unfashionable in taste. How mixed race kids choose to address their background is their choice. But in my 23 years of life I have certainly seen some nervous wrecks who torture their souls in attempts to belong.
Reply 54
I have been living in UK since I was 12. I get really hateful comments and people mock me thinking I am another ethnicity all the time. I just ignore them and do not say anything back but it still bothers me because I feel like I don't fit it. I don't even feel belonged in my own county, they think I am rom somewhere else.
I have a muslim friend in France who complains of the same issues as thee

Thine friend is right: it's hard for Muslims here.
On a lighter note, I see more and more mixed couples and kids in France. Although that's not going to stop racism. I laugh when people say mixing is going to stop racism: being half white did not prevent me from being insulted by white people lol
Reply 56
Original post by jedanselemyia
Thine friend is right: it's hard for Muslims here.
On a lighter note, I see more and more mixed couples and kids in France. Although that's not going to stop racism. I laugh when people say mixing is going to stop racism: being half white did not prevent me from being insulted by white people lol

You have a valid point,not even education can change racism
I wanted to go there for the first time on New Years eve with a TSR buddy,have you ever been?
I was there on NYE, you defo should have come, great atmosphere!
Reply 58
Todays events in france are tragic.
This hits a nerve with me, because my fathers side of the family is french.
But hate is not the answer. I now sometimes you what to vent anger in moments like this, but every muslim is a person I think sometimes we forget that. Know I did today
Islam is an ideology not an identity we are just human.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by oxymoronical
I was there on NYE, you defo should have come, great atmosphere!

Was the service in Arabic or English?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending