The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lady Comstock
BS. The Salman Rushdie affair was way before the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Not that the Rushdie Affair didn't come subsequent to substantial Western meddling and atrocities in the Middle East.

France now has minimal involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, other countries targeted by extremists for similar things (such as Sweden and Denmark) have had little to no involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is apologist claptrap.

Plus, insofar as I'm aware, these murderers may not even have been from Iraq or Afghanistan.

We should be careful, though: understanding and explaining why people have taken an action is not equivalent to engaging in apologetics for the people.
Original post by Jemner01
From the Middle-East. I'd be surprised if they were not.

You said "invaded their country". The middle east is not a country.

And France didn't even take part in the invasion of Iraq :dunce:

Can you read? I've stated not once but twice that I'm in no way, shape or form justifying what terroists do or have done including today's attack

So you claim. But you repeatedly argue the toss from their point of view, and then just say, "I don't agree with it, I'm just saying what they believe".

Everyone here is aware of what they believe. And in fact, your own understanding of their beliefs seems rather lacking.

You are disgracefully offering completely speculative motives and trying to confer some kind of political legitimacy on this attack by saying it was a response to the invasion of Iraq. There is no evidence for that whatsoever, and it would be idiotic if they were because France didn't even take part in the invasion of Iraq

From where I'm standing, you are engaging in a mealy-mouthed justification based on no evidence whatsoever
(edited 9 years ago)
We have a right to freedom of speech, no one has the right not to be offended.

Even if I don't agree with the opinions given by the artists, I quote Voltaire in that I will die defending their right to give such opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The actions of charlie... Cannot be used as justification for mass murder. The idea that god, needs revenge against a small publications group in Paris is absurd. It makes q complete mockery of islam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yo radical one
There is no conspiracy, it's just cowardice

A similar example is the ex-Muslim Society and the Islamic society on TSR (note that both groups consist largely of people who are not ethnic Europeans).

The Islamic society is far more aggressive and badly behaved, makes far more extreme demands and generally protests its victimhood to a much more extreme degree than the ex-Muslim society. In return the moderators protect the Islamic thread to a much greater level, not just from trolling, but any legitimate discussion which will cause annoyance to the Islamic posters and maybe that's acceptable, it is their thread, but the ex-Muslim posters do get hounded and have their posts deleted, even on their own thread, their own space, to the point where it looks as if it's I-Soc rules in the ex-Moose endz.

Like I said, there is no conspiracy, it's just very sad that the world consists of people who make concessions not to those who deserve them, but to those who shout the loudest, kick up the most fuss and who are generally the most difficult to get along with.

and now you know why I did a history degree :wink:
BS. The Salman Rushdie affair was way before the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan.

France now has minimal involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, other countries targeted by extremists for similar things (such as Sweden and Denmark) have had little to no involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is apologist claptrap.

Past tense. These people still resent the West, despite most countries pulling out. As for pre-intervention attacks, like I said, every group has nuts that wil kill for a cause. That nut killed for Islam. Stalin killed for Communism, Hitler killed for ethnic cleansing, those in charge of the Christian Crusades/Holy Wars killed for reclaiming Christian homeland, and Elliot Rodger killed because he had a resentment for women. Each of these individuals is to blame for their actions, not their motive, because what motivates one person to kill doesn't motivate all people to kill.
Reply 406
I'm not allowed to reply to posts on ISOC or I'll be banned. It seems that they don't like having their assertions challenged in their clubhouse, so I'll do it here. Perhaps you could copy this to him.

Actually, our answers are quite clear, you just seem to reject them because they don't fit in with your view that Islam is bad, therefore you will not stop spreading misinformation until the Muslims themselves believe in the extreme narrative that you propose.
This is a simple strawman. I am not saying that there are not other interpretations. TMG presented some that disagree with Ibn Kathir (all modern ones, I notice). I am simply saying that there are legitimate and respected, mainstream interpretations that can be used to justify such acts. To merely disagree with them does not mean that they do not exist. The people who carried out the attack clearly favour the Ibn Kathir type interpretation over a more modern, moderate one.

That verse does not justify today's attack. These people were not at war with Muslims.
They do not have to be in a military conflict to be classed as "waging war" or "spreading mischief". The word used in this verse for "spreading mischief" is "fasad".
http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/article/opr/t125/e633?_hi=0&_pos=7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasad
http://www.islam101.com/selections/glossaryEF.html
As we can see, this term refers to anything that is contrary to or disruptive of Islam. Not only military conflict.

Your Ibn Kathir quote lists 3 conditions. To 'oppose and contradict' is to fight against Muslims (due to them following Islam) and to contradict the law in clear rebellion - this fulfils 2 of the conditions.
"Oppose and contradict" does not mean "fight". I can't believe that you need me to provide definitions of simple and unambiguous words like that.

It does not state that 3 conditions must be fulfilled and does not mention "clear rebellion". It states...

"`Wage war' mentioned here means, oppose and contradict, and it includes disbelief, blocking roads and spreading fear in the fairways. Mischief in the land refers to various types of evil."

The third condition is that whilst physically fighting against Muslims and rebelling, the person doing so is in a state of disbelief. Once all 3 of these conditions are met, then the person has 'waged war' and thus this ayah comes into effect.
This is your own interpretation. Ibn Kathir does not state nor imply this. However, he does say that
"The correct opinion is that this Ayah is general in meaning and includes the idolators and all others who commit the types of crimes the Ayah mentioned."

Ibn Kathir clearly stated that the types of crimes included disbelief, opposition and contradiction. You assert that "Oppose means to physuically fight againt Muslims". This is not the case. "oppose" means (from OED)

Disagree with and attempt to prevent, especially by argument: a majority of the electorate opposed EC membership More example sentences
1.1Actively resist (a person or system): a workers' movement opposed the regime More example sentences Synonyms
1.2Compete with (someone): a candidate to oppose the leader in the presidential contest
Original post by young_guns
Actually, they did shout Allahu Akbar, you can hear it clearly in one of the video.

Why are you trying to deny this was an islamofascist attack? What is your game?

i'm not denying but saying that don't just to conclusions
Original post by Skip_Snip
It's not gonna be anyone else, is it...

it could have been an Islamic inspired attack
Original post by Trupac
Yh exactly! I was expecting to see brains on the pavement the way he is shot at point blank.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc6_1420632668

yeah.
and the fact that he got shot multiple times before the headshot and not an ounce of blood for me says its 100% a false flag..
Past tense. These people still resent the West, despite most countries pulling out. As for pre-intervention attacks, like I said, every group has nuts that wil kill for a cause. That nut killed for Islam. Stalin killed for Communism, Hitler killed for ethnic cleansing, those in charge of the Christian Crusades/Holy Wars killed for reclaiming Christian homeland, and Elliot Rodger killed because he had a resentment for women. Each of these individuals is to blame for their actions, not their motive, because what motivates one person to kill doesn't motivate all people to kill.

you are citing a handful of loose odd cases ( some of which are incorrect but anyway)

cases like this today are not odd or random cases, they are multiple and re-occurring and all have the same old motives, that come from islamic groups. so no it isnt just a random bunch of people with unconnected motives- thats an ignorant summation :rolleyes:
ISIS =/= Islam, reductio ad Hitlerum, if Islam is the Right, ISIS is Hitler, I don't mind conservatives but I bloody love Hitler (/s)

seemples
Original post by young_guns
You said "invaded their country". The middle east is not a country.

And France didn't even take part in the invasion of Iraq :dunce:

So you claim. But you repeatedly argue the toss from their point of view, and then just say, "I don't agree with it, I'm just saying what they believe".

Everyone here is aware of what they believe. And in fact, your own understanding of their beliefs seems rather lacking.

You are disgracefully offering completely speculative motives and trying to confer some kind of political legitimacy on this attack by saying it was a response to the invasion of Iraq. There is no evidence for that whatsoever, and it would be idiotic if they were because France didn't even take part in the invasion of Iraq

From where I'm standing, you are engaging in a mealy-mouthed justification based on no evidence whatsoever

The Middle-Easty had countries in it, and the intervention in Iraq, Afganistan, Iran as well as ties with Israel has effected all of them in some way or another.

Yes, that's what I think they beleive and I don't 100% agree with it. I agree with some of it- I don't think any of the invasions were warranted and the continuing military presence in all countries by the US should, in my opinion, be removed. Not only because it creates terrorists which are a threat to national security, but because the main factor of US debt is war.

I'm like a goddamn broken record- I do not beleive that these attacks, or any attacks perpetrated by extremists of any sort are legitimate in any way. I'm not justifying them, I'm not legitimising them, I'm not saying they're right to do it. Because they're not right to commit crimes simply because they feel a crime was commited against them. I'm saying the attitude of "death to the West" was aided, maybe even created, by Western powers meddling in the affairs of other countries. Ask a North Vietnamese person who was alive during the invasion of Vietnam how they feel about US foreign policy and I'm sure you'll like their answer.
Usually, when people are against offending, inflammatory content, and so on, they only mean stuff that they find offensive and inflammatory.

It's funny isn't it: horrific, vile things are published all the time about gay people, which call for their death, call them abominations, etc. Yet, when has a gay person or group ever even touched the publisher of such things?

This. PRSOM.
Original post by Thuggee
you are citing a handful of loose odd cases ( some of which are incorrect but anyway)

cases like this today are not odd or random cases, they are multiple and re-occurring and all have the same old motives, that come from islamic groups. so no it isnt just a random bunch of people with unconnected motives- thats an ignorant summation :rolleyes:

I've stated earlier that the extreme fervour in follwing Islam is one of the factors of Islamic extremism- that goes without saying. My case is that a) it's not the only factor and b) Islam itself isn't responsible, the actions of a few (in this case, two gunmen) are. Despite the Islamic religion depicting Jihad as a means to some sort of enlghtenment, many follow it peacefully.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
It's obviously more than a cartoon. The prophet is revered in a way that most can't comprehend (as there's not really a similar figure, could say Jesus in Christianity), and depictions are a big no-no. Of course you can argue freedom of speech, but what is there to gain from these cartoons bar spreading hatred?

most of the above is completly made up. you didnt know then mohammed was drawn for hundreds of years by persians ottomans in aisia etc etc? he was a normal man, as anyone quoting islamic tradtion will confirm, so no thats not true either. why is he revered, to the extent of mass murder, can you confirm? surely thats a bad influence for muslims
Original post by Trupac
Not gonna lie so yeah I am basing it on movies. But still someone getting shot with an Ak47 at point blank, there should be little bit of blood no?

There would be blood but the angle of the camera doesn't actually allow you to see much.
europeanphobic and racists.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've stated earlier that the extreme fervour in follwing Islam is one of the factors of Islamic extremism- that goes without saying. My case is that a) it's not the only factor and b) Islam itself isn't responsible, the actions of a few (in this case, two gunmen) are.

well, it is responsible , if you are saying it causes extreme fervour. extreme fervour is a bad thing, rabid animals express extreme fervour and thats not something we encourage. and these two men are not isolated cases, pick up a newspaper at almost any point int he last 10 years:rolleyes:
Original post by DiddyDec
And what are the basing that idea from? Movies?

Shooting someone at point black does not mean their head is going to explode.

bruh its clearly fake.
CLEARLY.
he got shot multiple times before the headshot and theres no sign of blood.
even after the headshot theres no blood...
Anyone who knows anything about ak47s or has seen someone get shot knows that when someone gets shot blood goes splatter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending