The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Where are you from?

I'm Nigerian but from Birmingham.
Exactly,you have the Arab,the black and your average french national, but I honestly learnt a lot from that movie.

Yes, what we call "La France black, blanc, beur" (although that concept is a bit outdated since there are more minorities than that)
Yes, La Haine is definitely the movie to watch is order to understand the French society that people don't know about!
Reply 82
Those guys are just trash, don't listen to them, you have every right to be here, doesn't matter if racist white brits don't accept you.
Reply 83
Original post by DorianGrayism
Don't believe this happened.

Some random guys in the poshest part of London come and start blaming you for Paris attacks? Sounds absurd.

This causes you to have an epiphany in life rather than OH **** I AM SCARED.

I agree. I've lived in London for 10 yrs and have been to some of its poshest places dressed in black from head to toe in the Islamic dress and never ever have I heard or experienced something as OTT. If you want a discussion about immigrants in this country, you can do so without making up stories as it can create fear in other immigrants.
And one thing Ive noticed about the English is they're very quiet and keep things to themselves, they're soo not upfront type.
Ofcourse I speak Arabic

Bas mish masriya?
Reply 85
Original post by jedanselemyia
Yes, what we call "La France black, blanc, beur" (although that concept is a bit outdated since there are more minorities than that)
Yes, La Haine is definitely the movie to watch is order to understand the French society that people don't know about!

Doesn't beur mean butter?
Reply 86
Original post by oxymoronical
Bas mish masriya?

I don't speak the Egyptian dialect :frown: im from Syria
So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

Im half arab and half english and I feel I adhere to both cultures. Though having been born and bred in the uk I feel i am as much part of the British society as I could possibly be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by Noura*
I agree. I've lived in London for 10 yrs and have been to some of its poshest places dressed in black from head to toe in the Islamic dress and never ever have I heard or experienced something as OTT. If you want a discussion about immigrants in this country, you can do so without making up stories as it can create fear in other immigrants.
And one thing Ive noticed about the English is they're very quiet and keep things to themselves, they're soo not upfront type.

stuff like this happens to people on a Daily basis,get over yourself.
Reply 89
I don't feel accepted at all, but maybe that's down to my own insecurities
Reply 90
Original post by slade p
Those guys are just trash, don't listen to them, you have every right to be here, doesn't matter if racist white brits don't accept you.

So,do I have your approval? :tongue:
Reply 91
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Ignore them OP, blame the media for perpetuating racist stereotypes. Not every Muslim is ISIS, etc. My ex also dealt with this, it must be awful

I'm not muslim,I'm a Coptic but an Arab
So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

Well where do you live?
For example, so many Londoners have no idea that London is not the UK but is pretty much its own country.

But the real question is; what is it to be British?
The UK has lost its identity and many British traits are bad e.g. getting hammered, being loud and fat etc.
Reply 93
Original post by Jimbo1234
Well where do you live?
For example, so many Londoners have no idea that London is not the UK but is pretty much its own country.

But the real question is; what is it to be British?
The UK has lost its identity and many British traits are bad e.g. getting hammered, being loud and fat etc.

Last time I checked,london is still part of the UK!
I don't know what it even means to be British myself
Reply 94
So,do I have your approval? :tongue:

Lol ye but i'm not white, i'm an ethnic minority.
Reply 95
Original post by slade p
Lol ye but i'm not white, i'm an ethnic minority.

Hahaha the ethnics have taken over immigration lol :redface:
Last time I checked,london is still part of the UK!
I don't know what it even means to be British myself

Not embracing when greeting one another is very British...wish I could remember that but my arab side always kicks in:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ilovemyrace
White's resent immigrants because you've made us foreigners in our own homeland. It's not just Britain, it's France, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, everywhere!We didn't vote for this, who would? something very sinister and evil is going on. Also it doesn't help people shout racism and make it hatred to oppose immigration.

you probably felt like the native people in colonised countries when the commonwealth was in full power
Reply 98
Original post by elhm1800
Not embracing when greeting one another is very British...wish I could remember that but my arab side always kicks in:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Three kisses on the cheek,the usual shenanigans :tongue:
Three kisses on the cheek,the usual shenanigans :tongue:

Hell yeah:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending