The Student Room Group

stephen fry getting married

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
Are there no laws specifically only for 'marriage' but not other contracts? :rolleyes:

You're either trying to make a point extremely badly or there is no point but you're determined to give the impression that there is.
I'm happy for him and his partner. Can't help but feel that his partner looks very awkward and uncomfortable in every pic I've seen of them together. Though maybe he's just camera shy or something.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Birkenhead
You're either trying to make a point extremely badly or there is no point but you're determined to give the impression that there is.

The point is marriage contracts are treated as another category of contracts due to the way the laws have made them to be, so contracts outside of the 'system' cannot overrule the laws within it, ie the 'clause' of marriage cannot be changed.
I am so happy for him! He is awesome and so amazingly open about his mental health problems etc.
Yes I admit the age gap is a bit odd for me personally, but hey who am I to judge? They are both consenting adults.
Reply 44
v. happy that Stephen Fry has found happiness after his (ongoing) struggle with mental health. heard an interesting PoV on the news this morning; would the 'gold/fame-digger' hate be much more intense had he married a 27yr old women? (i.e. he was not gay and married a young women)
The point is marriage contracts are treated as another category of contracts due to the way the laws have made them to be, so contracts outside of the 'system' cannot overrule the laws within it, ie the 'clause' of marriage cannot be changed.

You're talking nonsense.

Even if this were true, when it comes to divorce, the marriage contract is long gone.

The reason why pre-nups had limited effect in the UK came down to policy.

Back in the day, divorce was frowned upon. People did not like the idea of people planning for the breakup of their marriage. It was also believed that a pre-nup would encourage divorce.

It was also felt that agreements made between husband and wife ought not tie the hands of the court.

Then you have issues of changing circumstances and ensuring fairness.

Nowadays, the first reason is not really valid. Society has moved on. The second and third issue are somewhat still in play (the third especially). This means that pre-nups could become more common place and carry more weight. Though there would still be judicial oversight of sorts.
Original post by Uncouth body
He's a horrible fat pervert. He has serious mental health problems as discussed in a recent BBC documentary. He has bipolar disorder too.

Having found out that his husband to be is only 27, I've now lost all respect and empathy I had for Stephen.

In other words, jealousy speaks much.
Original post by ForgetMe
In other words, jealousy speaks much.

OMG You're so ****ing clever. No one would've guessed I was jealous! Of course I'm jealous. I mean, who wouldn't be? All that wealth to be taken advantage of. Fry is delusional. He's been blinded for love after having been alone for most of his life. Only, he'll be robbed of everything...
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm happy for him and his partner. Can't help but feel that his partner looks very awkward and uncomfortable in every pic I've seen of them together. Though maybe he's just camera shy or something.
Posted from TSR Mobile

This

although the age gap shocked me a bit
Men should not be marrying one another. It is immoral, unnatural and unbritish.
was surprised at how young the boyf is
Reply 52
Original post by white boy
was surprised at how young the boyf is

How old is he?
Original post by lent6
How old is he?

27. stephen is 57.
Yeah, the age gap (and general attractiveness gap...) is slightly off-putting, but judging people based on looks is silly. I hope they're very happy together and it's very good to have a gay major celebrity getting married. Especially one who's so well respected by most people.
Reply 55
Original post by white boy
27. stephen is 57.

That's a 30 year age gap.
I hope that Ipswich Town fans do not sing hateful songs about him (Stephen Fry is a Norwich City football club director).
I didn't even know he was gay.
Reply 58
Original post by Adipoptosis
I didn't even know he was gay.

Neither did I, but looking back I'm not surprised at all....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you really think he enjoys sleeping with a fat guy who is nearly 60.

Quick Reply

Latest