The Student Room Group

Would you date a Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SP0TIFY
Well, in this case it would appear to be becoming a world that is slowly heading towards a place where people are free to make their own decisions?

I agree, it's my life I should be able to make my own decisions on it.
Original post by tammie123
I'm in the middle religious wise, I follow most things not all. Are you muslim?

Fair enough sister, but your hijab is meant to guard your modesty and keep men away from you, yet you want to do the opposite by dating non-muslims, or dating full stop. So please tell me what is the point of wearing it?

Yes I am.
Reply 82
Original post by flibber
To be honest, there's still an element of racism that lingers inside me, so I wouldn't be very comfortable. Luckily, since I'm a guy, I wouldn't run into this problem, as Muslim women can only marry Muslim men, and I'm a non-Muslim person.

Would you ever be concerned if a relative or even a sibling was dating a Muslim ?
No. I have nothing against Muslims, but a romantic relationship wouldn't work because of a difference of beliefs. I wouldn't be able to convert, because Islam isn't the faith for me, and even if that wasn't expected of me, it would just lead to clashes and unhappiness on both sides. I'll stick to friendship :smile:.
Reply 84
Original post by Retired_Messiah
That would very much depend on the Muslim. It's just a religious belief, not a way of life, ya feel?

Would you ever be concerned if a relative or even a sibling was dating a Muslim ?
Reply 85
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
No I definitely wouldn't. I'm Catholic and there's no way we'd be compatible. I have nothing against being friends with a liberal non-extremist muslim (indeed I do have some muslim friends), but for a relationship it just wouldn't work, and if they were serious about their faith they wouldn't want to date a Catholic anyway.

Reply 86
Original post by IanDangerously
100% no. I've never been able to get my head around religion and why people actually believe in it, so I'd never be able to fully understand what's going on in their heads. I don't think I could ever get close to anybody who believes in the existence of any higher power because we live in completely different worlds.

As with any girl - if they respect my views. I'm surprised that wasn't inherent in the 'Yes' option.
Original post by 061194

Not really; as long as they're comfortable with it, I don't mind.
Original post by Kittiara
No. I have nothing against Muslims, but a romantic relationship wouldn't work because of a difference of beliefs. I wouldn't be able to convert, because Islam isn't the faith for me, and even if that wasn't expected of me, it would just lead to clashes and unhappiness on both sides. I'll stick to friendship :smile:.

If you didn't convert, what's your argument for having clashes and unhappiness? Wouldn't you enter a relationship with someone who makes you happy? Or do you tend to make assumptions based on a generalization?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
That would very much depend on the Muslim. It's just a religious belief, not a way of life, ya feel?

Islam is a way of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by High Stakes
If you didn't convert, what's your argument for having clashes and unhappiness? Wouldn't you enter a relationship with someone who makes you happy? Or do you tend to make assumptions based on a generalization?

Good point
Original post by IanDangerously
100% no. I've never been able to get my head around religion and why people actually believe in it, so I'd never be able to fully understand what's going on in their heads. I don't think I could ever get close to anybody who believes in the existence of any higher power because we live in completely different worlds.

What about it can you not comprehend? They believe in a sentient entity but that's the only difference between you and them. In what sense would you two be in completely different worlds? Your argument is based on no valid reasoning. Furthermore, why would you be so brash to have someone's beliefs as the cut off line, you are aware of course that many of Muslim youth aren't actually fully practising (hence why we have a thread on dating them).
Original post by moment of truth
Islam is a way of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll disagree with you. Islam is an ideology and offers a guideline on how to live your life. It's how you interpret it and choose to follow it that matters. You simply cannot throw non-practising Muslims together with extremists and label it as a single way of life. That would be a very ignorant statement from you.
Original post by Anonymous
Fair enough sister, but your hijab is meant to guard your modesty and keep men away from you, yet you want to do the opposite by dating non-muslims, or dating full stop. So please tell me what is the point of wearing it?

Yes I am.

I understand, but my parents would be upset if I didn't wear my hijab.
I would 100% not,
I'm in the middle religious wise, I follow most things not all. Are you muslim?

Interesting.

Have you ever had a bf before?
Original post by scorpion95
I would 100% not,

You'd probably want to post a reason why. If not, just use the poll. Otherwise you're just being useless.
I understand, but my parents would be upset if I didn't wear my hijab.

Oh I see. So if your parents were okay with you not wearing it then you wouldn't?
Aw but you should be able to make your own choices...
Original post by High Stakes

A practicing Muslim, as I am assuming we are talking about here, would be very likely to hold certain views that I cannot agree with. For example, I am strongly in favour of marriage rights for same-gender couples. Islam considers intimate relationships between same-gender couples to be wrong. That is not an assumption, but based upon religious texts.

I have several strongly held views that are not in harmony with Islam. There's a strong likelihood that this would lead to arguments with my partner. Why, then, would I enter a relationship that wouldn't work out for us? It's for that same reason that I wouldn't enter a relationship with a person with any strongly held beliefs that clash with mine, whether they be religious or political.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending