The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Ford
I do identify with the white side, but obviously of a certain social class and political/social beliefs.
I have no doubts that we mixed kids are a representation of 'race traitors', especially sour if the woman is the white partner in the parenthood. My mother used to get dirty looks when she was pushing a pram with me in it with my father. So I am not surprised that this is much worse in France which is way behind the UK even on these matters.

The way I see it is this for when we grow up: if we're good looking men and women we are objectified and seen as sex objects and desirable. If we are not then we are the example (to those edl type idiots) of a failed and disgusting union that should not have happened in the first place.

As I said on PM to queen-bee :

Oh sure, sure. Not the low class, trashy types.
Exactly! I'm sorry for what your mum had to go through.
You're so on point: a lot of (white) girls tell me they'd like mixed kids as if that was a choice. It's embarrassing. And then talk about how having afro hair would be crap to have because "you can't do anything with it".
Or when media/society represents mixed people as always being these lightskinned, light eyed beings of perfection and you feel crap about yourself because you don't look like that. Like, not all mixed kids look like white kids with a tan and curly hair.

Ah your representation of French society is on point, especially in these times.
Have you lived in France?
And if I may ask, what are mixed with? :smile:
Original post by elhm1800

I hope I never catch herpes from kissing that many people in my lifetime
Original post by queen-bee
So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

i'm also of ethnic minority but i was raised in italy and now live in england. i have never paid attention of what people though of me and i never will. they can have the worst opinion on me but i tend to ignore it because it won't make a difference in my life. don't let other influence you only you know what you truly are. plus most of these type of people don't have a clue about culture or religion or even their own origins.
I hope I never catch herpes from kissing that many people in my lifetime

I hear shaking hands is more susceptible to bacteria...
Whereabouts in the middle east are u from if u dont mind me asking?
Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're going to be an ass,don't bother commenting

Ermm nope. I am saying you are " the ass" with an agenda.

I lived in Chelsea and Kensington. There are a huge number of Arabs and foreigners there.

According to YOU.

Well dressed Businessmen in their 30's ( lol ) came up to and began to racially harass you.

Your reaction isn't......I felt threatened....I felt hurt at being profiled....I am sad ....

No ....your reaction is ...." I don't feel British at all! "

Yes. I have actually been racially harassed because I am actually an ethnic minority. I can tell you one thing....That is not what goes through my head when I go home.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Oh sure, sure. Not the low class, trashy types.
Exactly! I'm sorry for what your mum had to go through.
You're so on point: a lot of (white) girls tell me they'd like mixed kids as if that was a choice. It's embarrassing. And then talk about how having afro hair would be crap to have because "you can't do anything with it".
Or when media/society represents mixed people as always being these lightskinned, light eyed beings of perfection and you feel crap about yourself because you don't look like that. Like, not all mixed kids look like white kids with a tan and curly hair.

Ah your representation of French society is on point, especially in these times.
Have you lived in France?
And if I may ask, what are mixed with? :smile:

My sister worked as a linguist in France and I have visited many times in Paris. Not a place I particularly like.

I am mixed Chinese and German.
Original post by elhm1800
I hear shaking hands is more susceptible to bacteria...
Whereabouts in the middle east are u from if u dont mind me asking?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Syria
Reply 107
I am extremely proud to be a minority (Arab and Eastern European) and I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks. In such racist societies I have the right to behave superior because that's the only way to 'fight' it. I've experienced a lot of racism but funnily enough never from someone who's British and quite frankly if they ever did try to make any racist remarks I'd tell them where to stick their beliefs and culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
Ermm nope. I am saying you are " the ass" with an agenda.

I lived in Chelsea and Kensington. There are a huge number of Arabs and foreigners there.

According to YOU.

Well dressed Businessmen in their 30's ( lol ) came up to and began to racially harass you.

Your reaction isn't......I felt threatened....I felt hurt at being profiled....I am sad ....

No ....your reaction is ...." I don't feel British at all! "

Yes. I have actually been racially harassed because I am actually an ethnic minority. I can tell you one thing....That is not what goes through my head when I go home.

Great story bro.
There was no need for me to feel threatened because I wasn't afraid they'd do anything,I was just taken aback. You don't know me so stop assuming **** you know nothing about.
Syria

Nice ive got family from there too:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great story bro.
There was no need for me to feel threatened because I wasn't afraid they'd do anything,I was just taken aback. You don't know me so stop assuming **** you know nothing about.

I didn't assume anything about you.

I simply repeated what you wrote back to me.

It is not my fault if it sounds ridiculous.
Original post by tyh91
I am extremely proud to be a minority (Arab and Eastern European) and I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks. In such racist societies I have the right to behave superior because that's the only way to 'fight' it. I've experienced a lot of racism but funnily enough never from someone who's British and quite frankly if they ever did try to make any racist remarks I'd tell them where to stick their beliefs and culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Girl power
I didn't assume anything about you.

I simply repeated what you wrote back to me.

It is not my fault if it sounds ridiculous.

Ain't got no time for haters
Ain't got no time for haters

Lol. Well, if you keep on replying to me then I assume you must have some time for me.
I don't speak the Egyptian dialect :frown: im from Syria

I thought everyone understood Egyptian dialect!
Lol. Well, if you keep on replying to me then I assume you must have some time for me.

Jog on
Original post by oxymoronical
I thought everyone understood Egyptian dialect!

Too many mishes..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rakib567
i'm also of ethnic minority but i was raised in italy and now live in england. i have never paid attention of what people though of me and i never will. they can have the worst opinion on me but i tend to ignore it because it won't make a difference in my life. don't let other influence you only you know what you truly are. plus most of these type of people don't have a clue about culture or religion or even their own origins.

This pretty much. Randomers shouldn't be able to make you question your identity.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Hahahahahahahaha

I laugh at your pathetic excuse for racism

What does 'ethnically British' even mean? What does 'indigenous' mean? At what point do you stop becoming a migrant from Africa from the first humans (which we all are) and start becoming ethnically British? Is it when your skin turns white?

The “Out of Africa” theory is called as such because it is a theory; and to say that we haven't changed quite a bit since then is pure tripe. Someone who is of extensive European ancestry is ethnically European; just as someone of extensive Indian ancestry is ethnically Indian, and someone of extensive African ancestry is ethnically African. This is common sense. Thus someone of extensive British ancestry is ethnically British. People of extensive British ancestry are indigenous to Britain because this is the place at which their ancestral tree has grown. You are scientifically ignorant if you think that race, which is what you are alluding to, is purely skin colour-deep.

Consider the following photos:

These three fellows all suffer from albinism. Thus they all have the same melanin count and thus the same skin-colour, but one would be a fool or a liar to say that one cannot differentiate between each one racially: the first is a Nordic European; the second is an African; the third is an East-Asian. They all have “white” skin colour, yet they are clearly of different ethnic origins. When one looks at a woman and thinks, “She looks Chinese” or a man and thinks, “He looks Swedish”, this is due to the genetic constitution of that people's native (=indigenous) demography. Surely you can tell the difference between someone of Irish origins and Red Indian origins by looking at them? If not, you are blind to the reality of humanity.

There is a field dedicated to this study called anthropology.

This is a picture of the different classifications/subraces of the European race alone:
Jog on

How much time is that now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending