The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Well if anything, my looks make me feel anything but British and make me feel like I dont belong here. Then again, I am quite an insecure individual so yeaah.

I have always been brought up as Indian, and have always respected the British culture. Yes, we do adapt their ways and their lifestyles but that doesnt change us being who we are and which culture we belong to ie. Our looks dont change and I think that determines what culture we belong to. Thats like saying a French person moves to Pakistan, and they have now become Pakistani? No.

Thats just my thinking others may feel different. Bear in mind I feel very insecure about and that nobody likes us different cultured people(even though we are born here and have the red passport etc)
What I strongly disagree with, is discrimination against Muslims etc. Religion is one thing and culture is another. That is one type of racism I can not comprehend.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProudEnglishman
The “Out of Africa” theory is called as such because it is a theory; and to say that we haven't changed quite a bit since then is pure tripe. Someone who is of extensive European ancestry is ethnically European; just as someone of extensive Indian ancestry is ethnically Indian, and someone of extensive African ancestry is ethnically African. This is common sense. Thus someone of extensive British ancestry is ethnically British. People of extensive British ancestry are indigenous to Britain because this is the place at which their ancestral tree has grown. You are scientifically ignorant if you think that race, which is what you are alluding to, is purely skin colour-deep.

Consider the following photos:

These three fellows all suffer from albinism. Thus they all have the same melanin count and thus the same skin-colour, but one would be a fool or a liar to say that one cannot differentiate between each one racially: the first is a Nordic European; the second is an African; the third is an East-Asian. They all have “white” skin colour, yet they are clearly of different ethnic origins. When one looks at a woman and thinks, “She looks Chinese” or a man and thinks, “He looks Swedish”, this is due to the genetic constitution of that people's native (=indigenous) demography. Surely you can tell the difference between someone of Irish origins and Red Indian origins by looking at them? If not, you are blind to the reality of humanity.

There is a field dedicated to this study called anthropology.

This is a picture of the different classifications/subraces of the European race alone:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Original post by DorianGrayism
How much time is that now?

You're still here?!
Original post by Tom_Ford
My sister worked as a linguist in France and I have visited many times in Paris. Not a place I particularly like.

I am mixed Chinese and German.

I've visited Paris too but only the fancy touristy places.
What didn't you like about it?

That's cool :smile:
Would you describe German people as racist?
I've been there and the response was positive although I got a few stares. Although the only minority people I saw were girls from Turkish and Vietnamese descent.
Original post by queen-bee
You're still here?!

Till the end of time, dear.
Till the end of time, dear.

Let's hope not
Original post by jedanselemyia
I've visited Paris too but only the fancy touristy places.
What didn't you like about it?

That's cool :smile:
Would you describe German people as racist?
I've been there and the response was positive although I got a few stares. Although the only minority people I saw were girls from Turkish and Vietnamese descent.

There are a lot of Turks that live in Germany,my mother's side of the family live there too
Let's hope not

Well, yes, considering you will reply forever even though you have no time for haters.
Well, yes, considering you will reply forever even though you have no time for haters.

What can I say?! You're so damn irresistible 😒
Original post by Ilovemyrace
White's resent immigrants because you've made us foreigners in our own homeland. It's not just Britain, it's France, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, everywhere!We didn't vote for this, who would? something very sinister and evil is going on. Also it doesn't help people shout racism and make it hatred to oppose immigration.

lol do you realise how ridiculous this sounds?
Original post by ProfessorS
lol do you realise how ridiculous this sounds?

You've made him a foreigner in his own land! How could you?!! :frown:
What can I say?! You're so damn irresistible 😒

Well. I am not surprised.....Biomed Students are wannabe med students after all. :wink:
Well. I am not surprised.....Biomed Students are wannabe med students after all. :wink:

Ouch! Dude,you don't want to go down that root,it's going to end badly for thee 😏
Ouch! Dude,you don't want to go down that root,it's going to end badly for thee

You mean down that route* or road*. Definitely not root.

Good thing you stuck to science. lol.
You've made him a foreigner in his own land! How could you?!! :frown:

How could I indeed? :rolleyes: As if Europeans haven't been aggressively sharing their culture with the world for years - obviously to civilise us all.

Man, I forgot how bad this site was.
There are a lot of Turks that live in Germany,my mother's side of the family live there too

True! :smile:
It's just that I didn't see many when I went there :frown:
Do they like living there?
I'm not muslim,I'm a Coptic but an Arab

ah, sorry. I was using Muslims as the very obvious example of people being stereotyped in the media today, I was not meaning to assume you were one yourself! Point still stands
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Very well thought-out rebuttal. You clearly proved me wrong.

Quod erat demonstrandum.
I have never identified myself as either British or Dutch only by nationality not by descent. I'll never consider myself to be anything else but African.
People willalways see color before getting to know you. I think that British people whohave integrated with minorities are less likely to be racist and judgmentalthan those, who spend majority of the time with people of their own race, veryminimal education and living in not very affluent areas. Other factors could bebad experience, media, influences and means to vent out anger. But then couldthe same be said about our own minorities? Off course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending