The Student Room Group

5AS to get into Medicine

Looking at the stalking page for medicine, it seems like you need to do 5AS level exams to even stand a chance to be accepted?

What do you think?
I did 5 A levels. But trust me you DONT!! need 5 A levels to get into Medicine. Most med schools only want AAA.
Reply 2
Original post by futuremedic19
I did 5 A levels. But trust me you DONT!! need 5 A levels to get into Medicine. Most med schools only want AAA.

I'm planning only to do 3 full A -Levels but I'm saying do I need to do 5AS levels?
Original post by YounesB
Looking at the stalking page for medicine, it seems like you need to do 5AS level exams to even stand a chance to be accepted?

What do you think?

No that's definitely not true. Quality is more important than quantity.
Original post by YounesB
I'm planning only to do 3 full A -Levels but I'm saying do I need to do 5AS levels?

No do 4AS subjects. Deffo do Chem, Bio and Maths and pick an easier/enjoyable 4th AS subject of your choice. Then at A2 if u wanna drop your 4th AS you can. :smile:
Original post by YounesB

No, you don't need it. The reason that most people seem to have 5AS is that
the people who are intellectually good enough to apply for the course are also generally good enough to take 5 AS-levels(or full A-levels). Taking three won't disadvantage you, unless you don't get good AS grades.
Reply 6
Medical schools only require 3 A levels. You need 3 or 4 good (A grade) AS levels to make your (AAA or higher) A2 predictions seem reasonable. If you take 5 AS levels, you are massively increasing your workload and stress levels, making it much less likely that you will achieve AAAAB (and really, you will want to get AAAAB at AS Level if you take 5 subjects). Considering you are recommended to do 4hrs per subject per week of studying, are you really prepared to do 20+ hours a week of work outside of classes?

Medical schools often won't even consider any "excess" grades you achieve, as most 6th forms and colleges don't allow you to take 5 AS levels.

What subjects would you take? Biology, Chemistry, and Maths (or Physics) are the subjects that you need to take to A2 level if you want to keep all the medical schools open to you. Further Maths is NOT considered an extra A level by medical schools.
Reply 7
Original post by suirrel
Medical schools only require 3 A levels. You need 3 or 4 good (A grade) AS levels to make your (AAA or higher) A2 predictions seem reasonable. If you take 5 AS levels, you are massively increasing your workload and stress levels, making it much less likely that you will achieve AAAAB (and really, you will want to get AAAAB at AS Level if you take 5 subjects). Considering you are recommended to do 4hrs per subject per week of studying, are you really prepared to do 20+ hours a week of work outside of classes?

Medical schools often won't even consider any "excess" grades you achieve, as most 6th forms and colleges don't allow you to take 5 AS levels.

What subjects would you take? Biology, Chemistry, and Maths (or Physics) are the subjects that you need to take to A2 level if you want to keep all the medical schools open to you. Further Maths is NOT considered an extra A level by medical schools.

I was planning to take Bio, Chem, Maths, Economics and Spanish.

20 hours a week ? I'd be more than happy to study 25 hours a week - maybe even 28 if I push it. I thought this was standard since these are a levels which narrate your future.

My worry is that admission tutors will obviously accept a student who has 5As at a level(AS) than a student who has 4 a's. Isn't it a no brainer?
Original post by YounesB

20 hours a week ? I'd be more than happy to study 25 hours a week - maybe even 28 if I push it. I thought this was standard since these are a levels which narrate your future.

My worry is that admission tutors will obviously accept a student who has 5As at a level(AS) than a student who has 4 a's. Isn't it a no brainer?

This is on top of your lessons, so it gets brought up to at least 45 hours a week for 5 A-levels. I took 5 and put in more time than this to get good grades.
You would be surprised how little some people study per subject, even if they take 3 A-levels.
Original post by suirrel

Wait so you need to take maths to A2 I swear you don't well I hope you don't. Can't you do let's so bio chem maths psychology. Then drop maths for A2 as long as it's at a B grade or higher ? Or are you only saying that as some of the top medical universities want maths to A2 ?
Original post by YounesB

Lol, no you wouldn't be happy doing that at all. You'd be overstressed and have no time for other activities and work experience.

Getting 5As at AS level means that you were lucky enough to go to a school that allows students to take more AS levels. It would be unfair if taking 5 AS levels was an advantage over 4 AS levels, because most schools (and especially under-privileged schools) do not offer 5 AS levels. If you looked on admissions websites you would see for yourself.

Why would you purposely do something that is both useless for your application and potentially lowering your grades?

Out of your subjects, I would recommend you not do Economics. Spanish is much more useful in the world of medicine (think of all the places you could practice!) and medical schools are very appreciative of the work it takes to study a foreign language to such a high standard.
Original post by PensAndPaper
Wait so you need to take maths to A2 I swear you don't well I hope you don't. Can't you do let's so bio chem maths psychology. Then drop maths for A2 as long as it's at a B grade or higher ? Or are you only saying that as some of the top medical universities want maths to A2 ?

Some medical schools need only Chem+Bio to A2, some medical schools need Chem+Maths, some need just 2 sciences in general, some need Chem+Bio+Maths

Check out TSR's medical school entry requirements page! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Original post by suirrel
Some medical schools need only Chem+Bio to A2, some medical schools need Chem+Maths, some need just 2 sciences in general, some need Chem+Bio+Maths

Check out TSR's medical school entry requirements page! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Ohh okay I apologise it makes sense now. I just initially thought you meant all medical schools, then I was like I will just check ... just being an over paranoid person aha
Original post by PensAndPaper
Ohh okay I apologise it makes sense now. I just initially thought you meant all medical schools, then I was like I will just check ... just being an over paranoid person aha

I don't think anyone actually *requires* Maths except for Cambridge, and even then it's not true of all of the colleges. Maths is specified as a valid science option by several universities, but only in the context of 'we require Chemistry and one other science from Biology, Physics or Maths'. Don't stress about taking Maths if you don't fancy it!
Original post by *pitseleh*
I don't think anyone actually *requires* Maths except for Cambridge, and even then it's not true of all of the colleges. Maths is specified as a valid science option by several universities, but only in the context of 'we require Chemistry and one other science from Biology, Physics or Maths'. Don't stress about taking Maths if you don't fancy it!

Ohhh okay thank you very much :smile:
Original post by suirrel

Which ones? :colone:
Original post by Helenia
Which ones? :colone:

Is it just Magdalene at Cambridge that requires Maths? Figured you'd probably know..! :smile:

Also, completely off topic and purely nosey, but if you don't mind me asking, what date did you get married? Just saw the ticker in your sig and it looks like you must have got married at almost exactly the same time as I did (2nd September 2011)? :smile:
Original post by *pitseleh*
Is it just Magdalene at Cambridge that requires Maths? Figured you'd probably know..! :smile:

Also, completely off topic and purely nosey, but if you don't mind me asking, what date did you get married? Just saw the ticker in your sig and it looks like you must have got married at almost exactly the same time as I did (2nd September 2011)? :smile:

It was, but now they've stopped listing it on their main site (as far as I can see) and I can't be bothered to check all the college websites!

Good spotting - we got married on 10th Sept 2011!
Original post by Helenia
It was, but now they've stopped listing it on their main site (as far as I can see) and I can't be bothered to check all the college websites!

Good spotting - we got married on 10th Sept 2011!

Congratulations! Was pretty close then. :^_^:

And thanks for the info on the Maths front - good to know since there seems to be so much confusion about it on here at the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending