The Student Room Group

European Studies with TWO foreign languages?

I want to take languages in university, but I feel like a standalone languages degree isn't versatile enough. European Studies looks interesting, yet most universities only offer it with one foreign language. I want to continue in both my French and German. Do any universities offer European Studies With French & German?
Reply 1
Original post by Brad387
I want to take languages in university, but I feel like a standalone languages degree isn't versatile enough. European Studies looks interesting, yet most universities only offer it with one foreign language. I want to continue in both my French and German. Do any universities offer European Studies With French & German?

Hi.

Essex do. They have a course called BA European Studies and Modern Languages that lets you combine two languages (French and German are on the list) with European Studies. It's a four-year course with a year abroad in your third year.

Hope this helps.
Good luck. :smile:
Original post by Brad387

I'm not sure why you think that. Having 'European Studies' in the degree title isn't going to make the degree more versatile.

What is it you actually want? No European Studies degree is the same. For example, Nottingham does Modern European Studies which lets you combine languages with either European history or politics. Bath does a Modern Languages and European Studies degree which lets you combine languages with various historical and cultural modules. UCL has the European Social and Political Studies degree where you study two languages (from an absolutely huge list of options), plus another subject from the humanities/social sciences as well as taking modules in EU law, politics etc.
Original post by Brad387

You can do European Studies plus two foreign languages at Bath :smile:
As Snufkin said I don't really understand you wanting European Studies in the title - you can study lots of things under the scope of a languages degree and "European Studies" sounds a bit wishy-washy to me. I also can't help but think of my friend who does Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies - when he told his mum she replied "Oh, is that the new European Studies?" with the implication of is that what people do now cos they can't get on to a real language programme.

I'm not at all trying to say that European Studies isn't a good programme or that everybody shares that prejudice.... I'm just basically saying you should only go for it if you have a specific interest that straight French and German wouldn't cover....

...and if you do have a specific interest, what is it? History, Politics, Communication, Law, Business (economics etc).
Because as others have said above it's quite easy to find unis offering 2 languages plus a third subject.

eg. at Newcastle you can do Modern Languages and Business Studies, or Combined Honours (2 langs + history, politics, media and communication, etc etc.)

Most strands offer EU related modules or France/Germany related modules :smile:
Original post by Brad387

Hi Brad387,

I'm Carly and I'm a second year student at Bath University studying French, Spanish and European Studies!

I think it's a really good idea to study two languages like you want to, I'm definitely glad that I chose to do both of mine. I get equal teaching time for both languages and all of my French and Spanish history/culture modules are taught and assessed in the languages. With European Studies, I wasn't actually sure if I even wanted to do it before I came to uni but now it's one of my favourite lectures! I find it really useful that the content often links up to my French and Spanish modules (sometimes it's great to go through things in English too just to make sure!).

If you're worried that you want to spend more time on your languages then don't worry as European Studies makes up 20% of the course. You have five modules, for French and German you would have: French language, French culture/history, German language, German culture/history and European studies.

At Bath, European studies isn't limited to history and culture. For example, in second year you have the option of choosing a module and I'll be taking TEFL next semester as my choice and I can even gain an official qualification the following summer.

If you have any other questions about Bath and what the course is like, feel free to quote me and I'd be happy to answer them!

Carly
University of Birmingham offer European studies with two languages :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by University Of Bath
At Bath, European studies isn't limited to history and culture. For example, in second year you have the option of choosing a module and I'll be taking TEFL next semester as my choice and I can even gain an official qualification the following summer.

Erm, yes it is. Some European Studies degrees let you study subjects as varied as law, geography and even urban planning - you can't do that at Bath. It pretty much is limited to history and culture modules with a smattering of politics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending