The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maxi365
I agree with you. The legal way is always the better way. But technically i will have insurance and be insured right because i will be the second driver. The only lie i an telling is that my dad is the main driver.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lie you are (planning on) telling is the most important and significant lie when it comes to car insurance.
I strongly advise you not to do this as if you, or shall i say when you get caught, both you and your dad will be in deep trouble.
Now, we're talking criminal record/Driving ban/ More expensive insurance for life etc.
Original post by maxi365
Ohh thanks. I head that this is quite common? So what legal things (if any) can i do to cut down my insurance, other than install a black box.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's what I did, to half my first quote:

- Try variations of mileage: 8,000 miles won't necessarily be cheaper than 12,000 miles
- Change where you keep it. For some reason on my policy, saying I keep my car on the street took £280 off my quote as opposed to keeping it in a private garage (go figure :s-smilie:)
- Full comprehensive cover is normally actually cheaper than third party/fire/theft
- Add as many experienced drivers without convictions as you can
- Don't just try comparison websites. I was quoted £1500 lowest through GoCompare and through Aviva's website, I was quoted £680.
Reply 22
Original post by ToastyCoke
No you won't be insured at all. And I mean AT ALL. I know people who have been insured on their partners car, had a bump whilst out in it and because the first driver of the car wasn't in the car when it happened too, they were investigated by their insurance company.

You've obviously made your mind up though. Good luck getting a job with that criminal record in the future when you do inevitably have a bump.

No I haven't made my mind up i just really want to drive and have been waiting to drive ever since i was kid. I grew up around cars and now that i am about to drive i just really want to drive without paying insurance 3 for 4 times more than the car. But your answers are really helping me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
No I haven't made my mind up i just really want to drive and have been waiting to drive ever since i was kid. I grew up around cars and now that i am about to drive i just really want to drive without paying insurance 3 for 4 times more than the car. But your answers are really helping me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm being overly harsh for a reason mate. Five years down the line, you won't even remember the extra cash you paid for your first years insurance, but you'll sure remember the consequences (and still be living with them) if you get caught. See my previous post and see if any of those tips help at all.
Reply 24
Thanks for your answers guys, really helpful, going to change the details around (with me main driver this time lol) and see what I get. Just for comparison how much was your insurance when you first started driving and how old was you and what car did you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Thanks for your answers guys, really helpful, going to change the details around (with me main driver this time lol) and see what I get. Just for comparison how much was your insurance when you first started driving and how old was you and what car did you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't passed yet, but I'm 17, In London. If I add my bro to the policy It is between 1600 and 2000.
Original post by maxi365

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spend a few hours on it and you'll get it down.

I was £850 for my first year (with someone on there with a speeding conviction) in a 1.4 Corsa C exclusiv. Although it's a corsa, that is a high-spec car and a limited edition, so it is possible to get it low with some careful detail fiddling without buying ghetto spec!

In my experience, VW's are overly expensive to insure for new drivers.
Reply 27
Original post by Economistician
Haven't passed yet, but I'm 17, In London. If I add my bro to the policy It is between 1600 and 2000.

On what car?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by ToastyCoke
Spend a few hours on it and you'll get it down.

I was £850 for my first year (with someone on there with a speeding conviction) in a 1.4 Corsa C exclusiv. Although it's a corsa, that is a high-spec car and a limited edition, so it is possible to get it low with some careful detail fiddling without buying ghetto spec!

In my experience, VW's are overly expensive to insure for new drivers.

Wow that's sick! I would cry if i got a quote like that. How did you get that soo cheap on a 1.4 but i got £3,500 on 1 litre?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ford KA 1.3, its widely regarded as the cheapest car to insure. I know its a crappy little car but I wouldn't mind driving one for a year or two until my insurance goes down and I (hopefully) have 2 years NCB. When i can get something a little better.
Original post by maxi365
Ohh thanks. I head that this is quite common? So what legal things (if any) can i do to cut down my insurance, other than install a black box.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask why you don't want a box? If you're a safe driver it'll be fine, if not - you shouldn't be driving.
Original post by maxi365
Wow that's sick! I would cry if i got a quote like that. How did you get that soo cheap on a 1.4 but i got £3,500 on 1 litre?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Insurance companies go on raw data, rather than common sense. Most new drivers will have a 1 liter (through parents only allowing that, or that's all they can afford etc) - and more often than not, it's new drivers than have smashes. So, their data will show a statistical probability that if you drive a 1 liter within a certain age range, you're more likely to have a smash. Aka, higher price.

When I was looking at my new car, I was going through all the insurance hunting again. I had a 1.8 Astra H SRI XP and wanted to get a 2.0 Astra J SRI. Now, being that I'm getting a much newer car (6 years newer), it's MUCH more expensive and more powerful, you'd think the price would go up right? Nope. My price went down £120 because statistics showed, that people in my age group that drove the 1.8 Astra H were fairly high to, at some point, make a claim, whereas the Astra J, wasn't as high risk.

It's not as black and white as that obviously. Car make, model etc all comes into it. If you really want to push the cost down, I'd recommend having a look at Corsa C's.
Reply 32
Original post by Economistician
Ford KA 1.3, its widely regarded as the cheapest car to insure. I know its a crappy little car but I wouldn't mind driving one for a year or two until my insurance goes down and I (hopefully) have 2 years NCB. When i can get something a little better.

Yeah that's the thing. My mum's got an automatic Chevrolet Matiz which is a 0.8. Quite frankly the car is a little box and i don't want a 0.8 (call me picky lol). Basically the car is embarrassing to be seen in but I like Polo's and wouldn't mind it as a first car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Yeah that's the thing. My mum's got an automatic Chevrolet Matiz which is a 0.8. Quite frankly the car is a little box and i don't want a 0.8 (call me picky lol). Basically the car is embarrassing to be seen in but I like Polo's and wouldn't mind it as a first car.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I get what you mean. I've have an uncle with a matiz and it takes a century to even get to 50. Almost impossible to drive it on the motorway.
Reply 34
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Can I ask why you don't want a box? If you're a safe driver it'll be fine, if not - you shouldn't be driving.

Because to be completely honest with you, i have the tendency to put my foot down if i see a CLEAR road with no cars or pedestrians or visible hazards. I cannot stress the word clear road enough because I'm not a dumb new driver who thinks he's sick and just puts his foot down to feel like he's in a Fast and Furious movie. Obviously speeding on these occasions will not look good with the black box

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Because to be completely honest with you, i have the tendency to put my foot down if i see a CLEAR road with no cars or pedestrians or visible hazards. I cannot stress the word clear road enough because I'm not a dumb new driver who thinks he's sick and just puts his foot down to feel like he's in a Fast and Furious movie. Obviously speeding on these occasions will not look good with the black box

Posted from TSR Mobile

And it's people like you who increase insurance for all of us.
Reply 36
And it's people like you who increase insurance for all of us.

No but on a CLEAR ROAD. Lets picture a scenario- say you're on the motorway with a clear stretch of road. You can see down the road that there are no other cars, hazards, cameras, etc. Would you not be tempted to just put your foot down. This is to say that you only do this until you see a car. Obviously once you do then you drive normally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
No but on a CLEAR ROAD. Lets picture a scenario- say you're on the motorway with a clear stretch of road. You can see down the road that there are no other cars, hazards, cameras, etc. Would you not be tempted to just put your foot down. This is to say that you only do this until you see a car. Obviously once you do then you drive normally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I wouldn't be tempted.
Reply 38
No. I wouldn't be tempted.

Well everyone's different then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
I disagree with black boxes for a very different reason: that is, that I've seen what they do to your car to install one.

I've had several people come to me with black box installs that have issues with their electrics because they've been botched in to make them work and they really do look disgusting. They botch up internal panels when they "hide" them (aka fit behind glove box or behind CD player) and I really disapprove of their general abuse of a cars interior to install - then of course, you have to get it removed when you move on from your black-box insurance company.

Your attitude towards driving and the consequences involved tell me you're exactly the person who's going to have an accident or two in the first two years of your driving. A "clear" road only means that no one else will be involved. It doesn't mean you won't crash and I can guarantee you, 100mph smashes on the motorway are not pretty.

~Matt

Latest