The Student Room Group

Would you date a Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Essentially, at the end of the day a Muslim is someone who believes in God and the Prophet Muhammad, that's all it comes down to quite frankly. Whether they pray 5 times a day or whatever is a completely different story. Based on that would most of you still completely disregard the prospect of dating a "Muslim"? I mean when it comes down to day-to-day life they're pretty much the same as anyone else unless they're "fully-practicing".
Reply 121
Yes, my mother is muslim and she is nothing like extreme. Tbh it is only 5% or probably even a lot less of the muslim people who are extremists. Most are really nice tbh and normal, I would not care whatever religion anyone is, because lets be real every religious book contains really messed up **** lol ... so who cares what religion they are, so long as they do not force their belief on me it is fine cause I am atheist so yeah :smile:
Reply 122
Original post by felamaslen
It's a secret ballot.

Just as the thread stater I want to know?
OP, this thread is not going to make people want to date Muslims or change opinion. I know you are being hopeful but sorry it is the truth. However, I know a few girls who have dated Muslims so don't worry about what people say on here.
Original post by tammie123
Nope, but that's not because of religion, I'm verryy picky. People have asked me out but I've said no so far. My parents are very strict so hiding it would be very difficult and require ALOT of planning haha. I am prepared to do it for the right person (someone I can imagine spending the rest of my life with and someone I reallyy like and feel like would be worth all the stress). Does that sound weird?

I think finding someone you want to marry can be quite tricky as nothing is ever guaranteed but I respect that.
Original post by Anonymous
Why? Seems like a very ignorant view. Would you not be happy to have someone be with another person that makes them happy.

Yeah as long as I don't have to associate with them
Original post by 061194
If they were respectful towards your family and didn't force their views on you.They were caring and loving towards your relative,would you still distance yourself.

Yes
Original post by 061194
Just as the thread stater I want to know?

You should have made it a public poll then.
I think I'd be afraid.
Reply 129
Original post by Kittiara
I know this, but I assumed that the OP made an error and therefore took the question to mean a serious relationship.

If we're talking about lenient or non-practicing, then it would depend on the guy's views as well as how accepted the relationship would be by his family. As you can no doubt tell, compatibility and harmony are important to me. Some people like a challenge when it comes to that, but I'm not one of them. I don't want to change people, and don't want others to try change me.

If you were accepted by a family respectfully , and his family wasn't as religious as other muslims and didnt force it on you .The guy didn't hold extreme views that only a minority hold.But was respectful towards your family
Reply 130
Original post by Viridiana
I think I'd be afraid.

Would you ever be concerned if a relative or even a sibling was dating a Muslim ?
Original post by 061194
If you were accepted by a family respectfully , and his family wasn't as religious as other muslims and didnt force it on you .The guy didn't hold extreme views that only a minority hold.But was respectful towards your family

Then I guess it could work. So long as he and I were compatible :smile:.
Original post by Viridiana
I think I'd be afraid.

Okay, I think someone has to ask this. Why?

And please don't come out with a generalization, like he's going to be a rapist or terrorist that was pretending to date you in the name of Jihad. lol
Reply 133
OP, this thread is not going to make people want to date Muslims or change opinion. I know you are being hopeful but sorry it is the truth. However, I know a few girls who have dated Muslims so don't worry about what people say on here.

It was to see peoples opinions on Muslims due to these terrorist attacks,I already knew what the outcome of this poll was going to be like roughly,turns out I was right.
Original post by 061194
Would you ever be concerned if a relative or even a sibling was dating a Muslim ?

Nah it wouldn't concern me as long as they were happy.

What about it can you not comprehend? They believe in a sentient entity but that's the only difference between you and them. In what sense would you two be in completely different worlds? Your argument is based on no valid reasoning. Furthermore, why would you be so brash to have someone's beliefs as the cut off line, you are aware of course that many of Muslim youth aren't actually fully practising (hence why we have a thread on dating them).

Because by believing in that entity it causes you to view the world through different eyes, from a different perspective. The planet is the same, the worlds are very different - one where everything in it is created by a purposeful being with specific cause and the other where everything is the largely random work of various scientific forces, concepts and ideas. I have nothing in common with a person who genuinely thinks there's any reason behind their existence.

I don't have a problem with people practising a religion but I can't ever comprehend quite what makes them tick so I couldn't share any real emotion with them. :smile:
Original post by 061194
It was to see peoples opinions on Muslims due to these terrorist attacks,I already knew what the outcome of this poll was going to be like roughly,turns out I was right.

Oh okay. It's sad to see that these terrorists who are in no way Muslim are ruining it for others...
Reply 136
Oh okay. It's sad to see that these terrorists who are in no way Muslim are ruining it for others...

True
Original post by 061194
Your honest vote.Nothing but the whole truth.

Honestly, no.

I wouldn't date somebody who is Muslim or somebody who wasn't but whose family was.
Reply 138
Original post by mackemforever
Honestly, no.

I wouldn't date somebody who is Muslim or somebody who wasn't but whose family was.

Original post by bittr n swt
I think finding someone you want to marry can be quite tricky as nothing is ever guaranteed but I respect that.

I agree it's tricky, that's probably why I've been unlucky so far :tongue: but I'm sure he's out there somewhere haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending