The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by willjeffcott
I got an email today from Girton to say I'd been pooled there. Not the college I had my heart set on, but I have looked on their website and it looks really nice. Anybody know what sort of percentage get offers from the pool to Girton? I am going to study nathematics

Good luck fellow mathmo!!! I have heard nothing pool wise... So could be good or bad really/!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1181
Original post by Everythingstupid
Curious as to what you took for AS.

English, History, Classical Civilisation and Philosophy and Ethics. Yourself? What are you applying for and what course? Best of luck by the way!
The worst part about saturday is that I have no other offers currently so this will be my first offer, or more likely, rejection. So emotionally, I have nothing to fall back on.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :afraid:
Original post by extraolives
Hello, does anyone know if Pembroke send e-mails? And if so, when? I'm an international applicant and my letter won't arrive for at least another 3 weeks.

I don't think they do, but you could probs request one! I'm a UK but I applied there too, you could email that 'Elizabeth Shorthouse' who seems to gave sent all the emails so far!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by absybabsy
Does anyone know how it is decided who fishes you out of the pool? Is t first come, first served? What happens if more than one college wants you?

Colleges with the highest unfilled requirement get first choice from the pool.
Original post by aprocrastinator
The worst part about saturday is that I have no other offers currently so this will be my first offer, or more likely, rejection. So emotionally, I have nothing to fall back on.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :afraid:

Where else have you applied?
Original post by Deadpan
Where else have you applied?

UCL, UEA, Southampton for Medicine
Original post by Jasey
English, History, Classical Civilisation and Philosophy and Ethics. Yourself? What are you applying for and what course? Best of luck by the way!

Classics, History, Politics and Philosophy& Ethics.
Applying for HSPS. What did you do for classics at AS and what are you doing atm? And to you- genuinely don't think you need it though, it might comfort you to know that theology has favourable applicant statistics in terms of acceptances and number of people applied.
Reply 1188
Applying for HSPS. What did you do for classics at AS and what are you doing atm? And to you- genuinely don't think you need it though, it might comfort you to know that theology has favourable applicant statistics in terms of acceptances and number of people applied.

Ah I so nearly applied to HSPS! It's such a good course :smile:. And I know Theology is a bit (well a lot) lower in terms of competition but it doesn't relax my nerves at all to be honest! If they don't like me then they won't take me quite simply
Reply 1189

Oh and I studied Homer's Iliad and Athenian democracy. This year i'm doing Virgil's Aeneid and the Persian Wars (Herodotus). How about you?
Original post by Deadpan
Someone on the Economics thread who applied to Kings to do Economics has been called to Girton for interviews. She had 98.4 UMS average including Further Maths.
Nobody is Guaranteed anything

Saw this and got v worried but tbf Kings had 120+ applications for econ so bound to be some stellar applicants left in the pool :smile: guess this applies for a lot of subjects so maybe we shouldn't worry too much
Original post by Jasey
Ah I so nearly applied to HSPS! It's such a good course :smile:. And I know Theology is a bit (well a lot) lower in terms of competition but it doesn't relax my nerves at all to be honest! If they don't like me then they won't take me quite simply

Ikr, its got breadth to it. What made you take theology? The philosophy side at AS literally bored me to death and I found that I had to put at least three times more revision into R.E. than my other subjects- didn't even cover the whole course as I thought it was a safe bet to miss two particular topics. Did not go well when I saw the philosophy paper. Lack of applied ethics is what saved me. In classics atm we're doing the Aeneid, Iliad and Roman Britain. :smile:
Original post by aprocrastinator
As am I! When I ask for feedback if they don't mention my BMAT score I'll scream

Unfortunately I think the BMAT would still be used when deciding to give out offers, but of a lesser extent to interviews and UMS (I would assume)

Great. :s-smilie:
As a distractor: You guys reading anything at the moment? I'm working on the Woman in White. :smile:
Original post by sr-96
I've been pooled to Selwyn too! When are your interviews?

I went to an open day at Selwyn; it's a gorgeous college. Also, if you're doing an arts subject it's right next to lectures :tongue:
Original post by paradoxicalme
As a distractor: You guys reading anything at the moment? I'm working on the Woman in White. :smile:

Started re-reading Harry Potter a few days back to keep my mind off Cambridge - doesn't stop me from constantly stalking this thread :frown:
When will we find out if we need to have an interview for another college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1197
Ikr, its got breadth to it. What made you take theology? The philosophy side at AS literally bored me to death and I found that I had to put at least three times more revision into R.E. than my other subjects- didn't even cover the whole course as I thought it was a safe bet to miss two particular topics. Did not go well when I saw the philosophy paper. Lack of applied ethics is what saved me. In classics atm we're doing the Aeneid, Iliad and Roman Britain. :smile:

Theology was really diverse and I couldn't choose between studying History, English, Sociology etc and since Theology encompasses all of them it was pretty much perfect. And yeah I much prefer Ethics to Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Religion is a bit of a nightmare.

Roman Britain sounds so cool, wish I could do something like that!
Original post by gothmog827
When will we find out if we need to have an interview for another college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't hear tomorrow, you won't be reinterviewed.
Original post by Jasey
Theology was really diverse and I couldn't choose between studying History, English, Sociology etc and since Theology encompasses all of them it was pretty much perfect. And yeah I much prefer Ethics to Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Religion is a bit of a nightmare.

Roman Britain sounds so cool, wish I could do something like that!

:smile: It sounds a lot better than it is- don't get me wrong its interesting to see how people lived back then but the specifics are not compelling in any way. A lot of it is just remembering mundane details, diagrams and examples.

Latest

Trending

Trending