The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProfessorS
How could I indeed? :rolleyes: As if Europeans haven't been aggressively sharing their culture with the world for years - obviously to civilise us all.

Man, I forgot how bad this site was.

Yup - having tried to colonise pretty much every single continent in the last 400 years Europe is now getting angry about immigrants - you couldn't make this up :laugh:. Seeing Americans complain about Mexican immigrants is equally as funny tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
You mean down that route* or road*. Definitely not root.

Good thing you stuck to science. lol.

My bad,I didn't realise you were such a grammar nazi
Original post by ProudEnglishman
-

I'm half Moroccan. Does that mean I'm not British?
Original post by queen-bee

Ummm have u seen his avatar:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProfessorS
lol do you realise how ridiculous this sounds?

Not ridiculous at all; just look at the demographic, cultural and moral shift since our great-grandfathers “defeated fascism” in WWII. Makes one wonder why they bothered…

“…Curious about his grandmother's generation and what they did in the war, he decided three years ago to send letters to local newspapers across the country asking for those who lived through the war to write to him with their experiences.

He rounded off his request with this question: 'Are you happy with how your country has turned out? What do you think your fallen comrades would have made of life in 21st-century Britain?'

What is extraordinary about the 150 replies he received, which he has now published as a book, is their vehement insistence that those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the war would now be turning in their graves.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229643/This-isnt-Britain-fought-say-unknown-warriors-WWII.html

I've heard quite a few people notice this change and say similar things.
Original post by elhm1800
Ummm have u seen his avatar:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tis true :tongue:
Original post by hellodave5
I'm half Moroccan. Does that mean I'm not British?

If your other half is British (you forgot to mention this), then your British ancestors would not accept you as one of their own, and thus you are not.
If your other half is British (you forgot to mention this), then your British ancestors would not accept you as one of their own, and thus you are not.

Lol what?

What rot. If uve been born and bred in this country or whether uve lived here for a long enough time ur a british subject. Whether u feel british is a completely different thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes no sense at all.
Our ancestors were most likely not from Britain anyway. Practically everyone is a mix of ancestry.

So despite my cultural association with Britain, the British government subsidising my education (like everyone else) and hopefully to be lots more of it, my ability to speak English better than most, and my rather significant contributions to British society: I am still not deemed British?

Doesn't sound very fair.
It depends where I am, I live in Manchester and it's pretty culturally diverse, and having grown up around that I do feel accepted. That said, I wouldn't feel safe going to an area that was pre-dominantly white lower-class British (no offence) as I don't know how they would react to me, but I think it would be something like this...

[video="youtube;39siKorcLIA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39siKorcLIA[/video]

Its hard not being fully accepted in a country which you see as your own, especially having been born here.

That doesn't really fall under the purview of grammar.

More like an "English Language" Nazi.
Original post by DorianGrayism
That doesn't really fall under the purview of grammar.

More like an "English Language" Nazi.

Point proven
Original post by noorii
It depends where I am, I live in Manchester and it's pretty culturally diverse, and having grown up around that I do feel accepted. That said, I wouldn't feel safe going to an area that was pre-dominantly white lower-class British (no offence) as I don't know how they would react to me, but I think it would be something like this...

[video="youtube;39siKorcLIA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39siKorcLIA[/video]

Its hard not being fully accepted in a country which you see as your own, especially having been born here.

This was on panorama
This was on panorama

Yup, I remembered watching it ages ago and I thought it would be a good example lol.
Original post by noorii
Yup, I remembered watching it ages ago and I thought it would be a good example lol.

Funny part was at the end when the little rats didn't realise they were being filmed undercover
Original post by elhm1800
What rot. If uve been born and bred in this country or whether uve lived here for a long enough time ur a british subject. Whether u feel british is a completely different thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are a British subject if they have a passport; I care not for such mere pieces of paper. Blood is what matters for it is of the doings of Nature.
They are a British subject if they have a passport; I care not for such mere pieces of paper. Blood is what matters for it is of the doings of Nature.

Are you high?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although I am white, and therefore look identical to a 'Brit', I am of origin and identify myself as Dutch. I live in the North of England, which I'd say is an area with less ethnic-diversity, and therefore perhaps a bit less tolerant to other cultures (due to their lack of exposure and ignorance towards them).
However, I do sometimes notice that as soon as I tell someone that I am not English, their attitudes towards me change, not in a hateful and racist way, but in a way that they regard me as less than I was before I told where I was from.
I'd say that this is especially the case in England (this is guesswork as I have no other experience), but because England is an island, and therefore has no neighbouring countries flowing freely into it, means that there is less exposure towards people from elsewhere in the world. I also think that English people have a feeling that England is 'The Superpower' in the world, as if this were the 17th century. I also see this in the attitude of learning languages; on mainland Europe children grow up learning their own language, English and possibly several other languages, whilst in England, we aren't really taught other languages as everyone expects other people to speak English.

This is only what I experience, and that only happens when I chose to reveal my ethnicity, so I can only imagine what people who look different (and who'm are associated with bad people) have to put up against.
Last time I checked,london is still part of the UK!

Missing my point entirely :redface:
It might as well be part of Mars as it has so little in common with the rest of the UK. The huge wealth, population density, diversity etc makes London utterly unique to any other city/place in the UK.

I don't know what it even means to be British myself

Exactly. At the moment, Britain lacks an identity. Only 60 years ago Britain had a strong identity (good manners, stiff upper lip, polite etc), but this has been eroded down to nothing. When these features left, nothing replaced them except negative traits - drinking, overweight, loose etc. So even if you were 100% British, you would still have the same problem you are in now....expect you would be hated aboard more for having bad behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest