The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kelta86
I had double jaw surgery 9 weeks ago and wasn't old anything about a relapse in the healing process I was told the day after surgery it could happen but not as far in as this maybe it's worth you having a word with your surgeon again

Nothing happened a day after surgery, they just leave a gap for it to relapse slightly. I've been to my orthon appointment and he said everything looks okay so far.
Reply 421
Original post by boringdude
Nothing happened a day after surgery, they just leave a gap for it to relapse slightly. I've been to my orthon appointment and he said everything looks okay so far.

I never got that but all surgeons are different
Original post by Kelta86
I never got that but all surgeons are different

Ah fair enough. How are you finding the numbness?
Reply 423
Original post by boringdude
Ah fair enough. How are you finding the numbness?

I have one section of my chin and half my top and bottom lip still numb it's driving me mad haha what about you?
Original post by Kelta86
I have one section of my chin and half my top and bottom lip still numb it's driving me mad haha what about you?

My top lip is all good. Just my bottom lip is still numb. So I have the tendency to dribble food when I eat haha.
Reply 425
Can anyone help me.
I was told about the surgery when I was about 13 when I had my braces. I'm 23 now and really want to look into having it. It's always been on my mind but iv just brushed it under the carpet.
Who do I go to to look into it further. My dentist or get back in touch with the orthodontist? Really don't know where to start
Original post by NK23
Can anyone help me.
I was told about the surgery when I was about 13 when I had my braces. I'm 23 now and really want to look into having it. It's always been on my mind but iv just brushed it under the carpet.
Who do I go to to look into it further. My dentist or get back in touch with the orthodontist? Really don't know where to start

Go to your orthodontist and they will refer you to a dental institute at a hospital

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had the double jaw surgery when I was 17, during October half term. I would say to anyone considering it, be careful when it is scheduled! I had a pretty easy recovery, and I found it hard with school.

about the liquid diet, I think those first few days were fine, as you're not really thinking much, plus the hospital does give you morphine! I lost nearly 2stone in 3 weeks... Def upside!

also I think there would ever be any problems with having it on the nhs. I know a woman who had it in her40's! Plus when I was 17, the surgeon told us, at that stage mine was 80% cosmetic, 20% medical, 5 years later it would've been 50/50, and so on! I had more trouble trying to get my insurer to let me go private!!!
Original post by large1878
Hi,

I am 27 and going through the process of jaw surgery. I've had my braces since Oct 11 and still seem a way off surgery as I had 2 teeth out from the bottom and the gaps are still huge! Also when I ask my orthodontist she seems reluctant to say when she thinks I will be ready!

This is the most helpful thing I have come across searching the net! Most of the stuff Ive read are people from US.

I am having top and bottom for open bite, they have to bring my lower forward and my upper back to meet it. I'm really scared off general anaesthetic and my surgeon said the surgery will take 7 hours? Has anyone else had surgery that was that long?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Hi, I'm 22 and have a consultation at the hospital in two weeks and have been informed that I will probably require surgery and braces to correct my 14 mm overjet. I noticed that you too started treatment over the age of 18 and was wondering whether the NHS covered the entire cost of your treatment? I have been warned that I may have to pay toward mine or may not be accepted at all. I'm quite desperate at this point though, I literally can't stand to look at my face and my jaw constantly clicks and causes quite a bit of pain.

Any info would be very much appreciated. I hope you're treatment is going well.
Reply 429
Original post by large1878
Hi,

I am 27 and going through the process of jaw surgery. I've had my braces since Oct 11 and still seem a way off surgery as I had 2 teeth out from the bottom and the gaps are still huge! Also when I ask my orthodontist she seems reluctant to say when she thinks I will be ready!

This is the most helpful thing I have come across searching the net! Most of the stuff Ive read are people from US.

I am having top and bottom for open bite, they have to bring my lower forward and my upper back to meet it. I'm really scared off general anaesthetic and my surgeon said the surgery will take 7 hours? Has anyone else had surgery that was that long?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Hi I'm 28 I had double jaw surgery 3 months ago I had braces for 2 and a half years before I was ready. My surgery was meant to take that amount of time but only took 3 and a half hours once down in theatre. I had the same fears about being put to sleep but it was ok in the end it's normal to be very nervous beforehand but it's something that u will never regret. Just be prepared for the recovery period it is hard on you with the lack of sleep and food but it does get better

Wish u all the luck in the world it really is an amazing thing that they do :smile:
Hello all, so I have my surgery date now, came through today, due to have it on the 26th February. I'm currently studying Dental Technology at Manchester Metropolitan Uni and I'm going to have to take several weeks off I assume, but I'm worried about missing lots of work. I have a couple of questions that haven't been asked:

Was anyone's op put back at all? This would really screw up uni because I have to request the time off.
How long would you say I'd be ready to drive back down to Manchester from Newcastle and return to uni?
Also, I'm very small and weigh 7st12, how much weight did you guys lose as a result of not really being able to eat?

Hi all

I'm 30 years old and having double jaw op been called for my joint appointment March 3rd just wondering what time scale people had after that appointment?

Thanks Mike
Hi again people just wondering if anyone has any pics they could show me of a before and after double jaw op thanks Mike
Original post by rturnbull94
Hello all, so I have my surgery date now, came through today, due to have it on the 26th February. I'm currently studying Dental Technology at Manchester Metropolitan Uni and I'm going to have to take several weeks off I assume, but I'm worried about missing lots of work. I have a couple of questions that haven't been asked:

Was anyone's op put back at all? This would really screw up uni because I have to request the time off.
How long would you say I'd be ready to drive back down to Manchester from Newcastle and return to uni?
Also, I'm very small and weigh 7st12, how much weight did you guys lose as a result of not really being able to eat?

The best time for students is the long summer break. Post surgery you will be sore and very exhausted both physically and mentally for at least 3 weeks. But you'll be pretty swollen and on a liquid diet for another 5-6 weeks after that. Best to rest as much as you can and don't overdo it.

I had my surgery early September, ideally surgery in August would have been better but that wasn't possible then. I started uni in October so had a month to recover from the surgery, there was no chance of me getting any work done in the first 2 weeks. And I'm glad I had another 2 weeks to get my strength back up. I went back to uni pretty swollen still in October but that went down after 4-6 weeks and my face started to look more normal after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yabbayabba
The best time for students is the long summer break. Post surgery you will be sore and very exhausted both physically and mentally for at least 3 weeks. But you'll be pretty swollen and on a liquid diet for another 5-6 weeks after that. Best to rest as much as you can and don't overdo it.

I had my surgery early September, ideally surgery in August would have been better but that wasn't possible then. I started uni in October so had a month to recover from the surgery, there was no chance of me getting any work done in the first 2 weeks. And I'm glad I had another 2 weeks to get my strength back up. I went back to uni pretty swollen still in October but that went down after 4-6 weeks and my face started to look more normal after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! This has helped a lot - I'm asking for 8 weeks off, and by that time I'll hopefully be well enough to go back fully :smile:. I've been ready for surgery since July, so I can't afford any more time being wasted, I'll just have to catch up on everything, it shouldn't be too difficult though. The liquid diet sounds awful :frown: that's probably my biggest fear of the whole thing! I'm actually super excited to finally get it done.
Thank you so much! This has helped a lot - I'm asking for 8 weeks off, and by that time I'll hopefully be well enough to go back fully :smile:. I've been ready for surgery since July, so I can't afford any more time being wasted, I'll just have to catch up on everything, it shouldn't be too difficult though. The liquid diet sounds awful :frown: that's probably my biggest fear of the whole thing! I'm actually super excited to finally get it done.

The liquid diet is pretty rubbish, but it's so worth it and it's the best feeling once you are slowly able to start eating solid foods again! Soups are obviously one of the first things to try and have again, and I would really recommend getting some 'build up' milkshakes etc because it is difficult to get the right nutrition with a liquid diet, and you want to be as healthy as you can for recovering! As my recovery started to improve I had things like blended chicken and broccoli, which might sounds horrible but being able to actually eat something with taste was lovely! So keep in mind things like blending meals as you start to have thicker foods again. And macaroni was one of the first solid foods I was able to eat, I'd recommend things like that - painfully slowly, one tiny bit of macaroni at a time was all I could open my mouth enough for initially! But it is worth it. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Liv1204
The liquid diet is pretty rubbish, but it's so worth it and it's the best feeling once you are slowly able to start eating solid foods again! Soups are obviously one of the first things to try and have again, and I would really recommend getting some 'build up' milkshakes etc because it is difficult to get the right nutrition with a liquid diet, and you want to be as healthy as you can for recovering! As my recovery started to improve I had things like blended chicken and broccoli, which might sounds horrible but being able to actually eat something with taste was lovely! So keep in mind things like blending meals as you start to have thicker foods again. And macaroni was one of the first solid foods I was able to eat, I'd recommend things like that - painfully slowly, one tiny bit of macaroni at a time was all I could open my mouth enough for initially! But it is worth it. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm really excited for my operation, since everything done to me for the past 8 years has been building up to it. Baby food and milkshakes it seems to be then! Best get stocked up :smile:
Thank you so much! I'm really excited for my operation, since everything done to me for the past 8 years has been building up to it. Baby food and milkshakes it seems to be then! Best get stocked up :smile:

Can very much relate to that! I had the same feeling, building up to it for so long... Best feeling for me was when I finally had my braces taken off!
Original post by Liv1204
Can very much relate to that! I had the same feeling, building up to it for so long... Best feeling for me was when I finally had my braces taken off!

I'm hoping they'll come off within six months of my op,knowing me though something will have gone wrong .___.
Operation date: 31 March! Eeekkkk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest