The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KelseyLoveday
Bit late but if you have any questions about synesthaesia, i'd be happy to answer as I have it hahahaha

Please could you describe it? I'm really interested in knowing what it's like to hear 'colours' etc. :lol:
Original post by sarahiscool
I can confirm that it is indeed me :cool:

Yeah, things have been good (minus mocks and stuff), how is everything with you ? Well its all a bit complicated really, biological sciences but I will probably switch to another course when I get to uni cause why not :tongue:

Switching courses when you get there? Maximum y0l0 there m8

Yeah, it's mock week this week, and I didn't do too much work over Christmas :colondollar:
Original post by Bude8
Please could you describe it? I'm really interested in knowing what it's like to hear 'colours' etc. :lol:

my synaesthesia is more 'feeling' colour when hearing or seeing a particular word or number. Some words and numbers also have genders and have personalities. for instance, I hate the word thursday because to me it looks like a really bitchy stuck up girl, the sort that would be a bully. i dislike the number 7 because I sense a feeling of untrustworthiness around it. All days of the week and months of the year have colours as do most numbers. I've done this since I can remember and so I was confused when I first found out that not everyone does it.
Page number

When I read it I just thought room temperature in kelvin
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Page number

When I read it I just thought room temperature in kelvin

nerd

Original post by KelseyLoveday
my synaesthesia is more 'feeling' colour when hearing or seeing a particular word or number. Some words and numbers also have genders and have personalities. for instance, I hate the word thursday because to me it looks like a really bitchy stuck up girl, the sort that would be a bully. i dislike the number 7 because I sense a feeling of untrustworthiness around it. All days of the week and months of the year have colours as do most numbers. I've done this since I can remember and so I was confused when I first found out that not everyone does it.

Do you feel this bias towards and against certain words also affects decisions you make in life? E.g. not moving into a house with a number ending in 7 etc.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Creating false solutions or something?

Can't create a higher power equation

the original eqn: x2+x+1=0x^2+x+1=0 is iriducible which means it is unfactorizable and so has no real solutions, that means you need to think complex! its quadratic with conjugate, i.e. two distinct roots and thats it. you can flower it up as much as you want but you can't escape that fact. It was your substitution that screwed it up; you can't sub. part you have to sub. for all!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tomctutor
the original eqn: x2+x+1=0x^2+x+1=0 is iriducible which means it is unfactorizable and so has no real solutions, that means you need to think complex! its quadratic with conjugate, i.e. two distinct roots and thats it. you can flower it up as much as you want but you can't escape that fact.

Makes sense.
Original post by Bude8

Switching courses when you get there? Maximum y0l0 there m8

Yeah, it's mock week this week, and I didn't do too much work over Christmas :colondollar:

Well I like living life on the edge innit. Same, I will be lucky if I've managed to get any B's or better :redface: they are just mocks though so y0l0
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Exeter/Qub. wbu?

Mines aberdeen or queen mary :smile:
Original post by Sohfie
Mines aberdeen or queen mary :smile:

I also applied to QMUL. Its quite close by but wanted to move further out.
Electric circuits is the worst physics topic there is :frown:
Original post by Bude8

No.. Mechanics is.

I love electric circuits because it makes sense. What topic are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8

Definitely agree with this! There's just nothing interesting about it, it's just stupid basic formulae that like to change all the time- at A level, anyway :redface:
Original post by Princepieman
No.. Mechanics is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity, why doesn't mechanics make sense then?:redface:
Original post by Bude8

It's so boring
I hate that electronics is basically compulsory in every first year of a phys degree :frown: waste of my time
No.. Mechanics is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's mock week but we're doing some more quantum physics and electromagnetic waves afterwards. I just hate circuits so much, all these laws etc.

Original post by furryface12
Definitely agree with this! There's just nothing interesting about it, it's just stupid basic formulae that like to change all the time- at A level, anyway :redface:

Kirchoff's laws, bleugh
I doubt I will EVER need electrical circuit knowledge in my life...

Original post by rachelc142
It's so boring
I hate that electronics is basically compulsory in every first year of a phys degree :frown: waste of my time

It's god awful, and I'm glad I'm dodging that bullet by doing Chem Eng :lol:
However, I have heard at university level a lot of complex numbers get involved, so that should make it a bit more enjoyable...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
It's mock week but we're doing some more quantum physics and electromagnetic waves afterwards. I just hate circuits so much, all these laws etc.

Kirchoff's laws, bleugh

However, I have heard at university level a lot of complex numbers get involved, so that should make it a bit more enjoyable...

Ughh kirchoff's laws

It's so boring

This, completely. Stupid IOP requirements :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red Fox
Out of curiosity, why doesn't mechanics make sense then?:redface:

It's the fact that I have to visually imagibe what is going on to understand something, I always look like the dumb one in an exam pulling all kinds of gestures..

The only good things about mechanics are gravitation and quantum mechanics. At least in my advanced higher course anyway.

Original post by Bude8

What, but don't you find it fascinating that you are learning the rules that govern the device you are using right now? I mean, sure in and of itself it's quite mundane but when you think of the wider picture it's much more fascinating.

I don't know, maybe because i'm a bit of a geek but I just love learning the inner workings of a device - everything else is an abstraction layer.
It's the fact that I have to visually imagibe what is going on to understand something, I always look like the dumb one in an exam pulling all kinds of gestures..

The only good things about mechanics are gravitation and quantum mechanics. At least in my advanced higher course anyway.

What, but don't you find it fascinating that you are learning the rules that govern the device you are using right now? I mean, sure in and of itself it's quite mundane but when you think of the wider picture it's much more fascinating.

I don't know, maybe because i'm a bit of a geek but I just love learning the inner workings of a device - everything else is an abstraction layer.

I don't really care about the resistance of the circuits in my phone or whatever. I'm more interested in what parts such as processors actually do. The thing I hate most is probably resistance, so yeah, I'll probably find anything that doesn't have to do with that relatively interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8

Kirchoff's laws, bleugh

Yh complex numbers are used in data compression which is cool af tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh complex numbers are used in data compression which is cool af tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard especially in electronic engineering, you'll see complex numbers until your eyes bleed :lol:

Physics mocks done! Multiple choice was quite tricky, but the long written paper was ok. Finished with quite some time at the end so I was a bit bored :indiff:

Latest