Hi all,

I left Sixth Form in 2012 with the following A-levels:

A History
B Politics
B English Literature
B French
B Psychology
A* General Studies

Obviously I didn't do badly, especially since I did a couple more subjects than 'average', but it still wouldn't be enough to get me on to a course with AAA requirement.

I'm seriously considering doing Law at University within the next couple of years, and have started studying towards a Law A-level, as much for background knowledge as anything else, but I would be interested in any thoughts on another A-level to study in order to achieve another 'A'.

It would be self-taught from textbooks and online resources only. I would have said Psychology, but I did this already, and although I feel I could get an A this time (my application to studies tailed off dramatically in Year 13), I'm not sure I want to study the same course again!

Any advice would be most welcome, cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Maths?
Reply 2
A-level law will do you no good whatsoever, not even as background.
A Level Law is a waste of time.

I think Maths is probably the easiest subject to self teach. If I were you I would do Maths A level as well as redoing Eng lit to try and get an A
Royal Holloway seem to ask for AAA for a fair few courses, but they still let you in with CCD if the demand isn't there. You could use this to your advantage by applying to a lesser course at a top 15 uni and get in easily with ABBB. But getting into a top 10 Law school is going to need A*AA or better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for all help so far. I had an offer of AAA from Corpus Christi College, Oxford, before flunking my A2s (I got straight As at AS and was predicted some A*s).

I have corresponded with Corpus again recently and they have confirmed that they are more than happy with Law as an A-level, and include it in many offers that they make to Law students. I do not know if this is applicable to Oxford as a whole or just Corpus.

I struggled with Maths for some reason at GCSE, only getting an A, although this could be more to do with the terrible teaching I received. I also hated the subject as I found it deadly dull. The suggestion of English Lit is interesting, however, again I feel that is a subject in which you have to invest a lot of time (in the texts, the contextual stuff etc). Having said that, at least I could study completely different texts.

As I say, I was looking for less taxing A-levels, in the vein of Psychology and Law. Would, for example, Economics, be less time-intensive?
Original post by Smonnie
Thanks for all help so far. I had an offer of AAA from Corpus Christi College, Oxford, before flunking my A2s (I got straight As at AS and was predicted some A*s).

I have corresponded with Corpus again recently and they have confirmed that they are more than happy with Law as an A-level, and include it in many offers that they make to Law students. I do not know if this is applicable to Oxford as a whole or just Corpus.

I struggled with Maths for some reason at GCSE, only getting an A, although this could be more to do with the terrible teaching I received. I also hated the subject as I found it deadly dull. The suggestion of English Lit is interesting, however, again I feel that is a subject in which you have to invest a lot of time (in the texts, the contextual stuff etc). Having said that, at least I could study completely different texts.

As I say, I was looking for less taxing A-levels, in the vein of Psychology and Law. Would, for example, Economics, be less time-intensive?

Less taxing A level? Media studies, RE, Textiles, Gardening, Nail Technology?
Reply 7
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Less taxing A level? Media studies, RE, Textiles, Gardening, Nail Technology?

Since 2012 I've been in full time work. I work from 08:00 - 18:00 five days a week and one in the three Saturdays - with an hour's commute every day - so it really does need to be something that I can do alongside a 50 hour working week AND another A-level!

I'm not slacking by asking for a 'less taxing' option, it just has to be realistic - there's no point in me getting another B!
Original post by Smonnie
Since 2012 I've been in full time work. I work from 08:00 - 18:00 five days a week and one in the three Saturdays - with an hour's commute every day - so it really does need to be something that I can do alongside a 50 hour working week AND another A-level!

I'm not slacking by asking for a 'less taxing' option, it just has to be realistic - there's no point in me getting another B!

I wouldn't bother getting another A level. But graduate schemes look for 330 UCAS points so getting AAB could help there.
I wouldn't bother getting another A level. But graduate schemes look for 330 UCAS points so getting AAB could help there.

They already have 660 UCAS, their problem is low grades over a lot of subjects.
If you count general studies that is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by morgan8002
They already have 660 UCAS, their problem is low grades over a lot of subjects.
If you count general studies that is.

Yes but graduate schemes only look at 3 subjects.
Yes but graduate schemes only look at 3 subjects.

good point
Original post by Smonnie
Hi all,

I left Sixth Form in 2012 with the following A-levels:

A History
B Politics
B English Literature
B French
B Psychology
A* General Studies

Obviously I didn't do badly, especially since I did a couple more subjects than 'average', but it still wouldn't be enough to get me on to a course with AAA requirement.

I'm seriously considering doing Law at University within the next couple of years, and have started studying towards a Law A-level, as much for background knowledge as anything else, but I would be interested in any thoughts on another A-level to study in order to achieve another 'A'.

It would be self-taught from textbooks and online resources only. I would have said Psychology, but I did this already, and although I feel I could get an A this time (my application to studies tailed off dramatically in Year 13), I'm not sure I want to study the same course again!

Any advice would be most welcome, cheers.

Have you checked with universities you are interested in that they will accept an A-level taken separately from your others? My experience with 'top' universities is that they require you to have sat the 3 A-levels you are using for entry within the same 2 years/in the same sitting, but this may vary between different unis and courses.

As to subjects, what can be easy and take little time for one person can be arduous and time-consuming for another. I took eng lit and it didn't feel like too much work to get an A because I have always liked it and the method for writing essays just seemed to click for me; but essay subjects can also be about the choice of topic/texts. Maths is an easy A-level for some, but not for others; personally I had to put a lot of work in to it because maths doesn't come naturally to me.

I've heard eng lang is fairly straightforward, and some people say that business studies is mostly common sense. Law is a perfectly acceptable A-level, for law unis tend to say that is neither advantageous nor disadvantageous; I'm not sure what the workload is like though. As you have done psych you may find sociology ok, I think the volume of material is less (I did psych, but not soc so this is based on people I know who did it). If you like essay subjects then philosophy may be good if you find it interesting.
Reply 13

How would I get up to AAB without another A-level? And what do you mean by graduate schemes? (They are jobs which you go into once you graduate - so presumably they look for 2:1s, not 330 UCAS points)
Reply 14
Original post by theresheglows
Have you checked with universities you are interested in that they will accept an A-level taken separately from your others? My experience with 'top' universities is that they require you to have sat the 3 A-levels you are using for entry within the same 2 years/in the same sitting, but this may vary between different unis and courses.

As to subjects, what can be easy and take little time for one person can be arduous and time-consuming for another. I took eng lit and it didn't feel like too much work to get an A because I have always liked it and the method for writing essays just seemed to click for me; but essay subjects can also be about the choice of topic/texts. Maths is an easy A-level for some, but not for others; personally I had to put a lot of work in to it because maths doesn't come naturally to me.

I've heard eng lang is fairly straightforward, and some people say that business studies is mostly common sense. Law is a perfectly acceptable A-level, for law unis tend to say that is neither advantageous nor disadvantageous; I'm not sure what the workload is like though. As you have done psych you may find sociology ok, I think the volume of material is less (I did psych, but not soc so this is based on people I know who did it). If you like essay subjects then philosophy may be good if you find it interesting.

Thanks for a great reply :smile:

Corpus Christi encourage continued study from their mature students (which is what I would be at the ripe old age of 21!).

I always enjoyed English Lit and was very good at it, but I think that without having context and critical analysis spoonfed to me by a teacher through handouts, it would be difficult to get the very top marks.

English Language might be an idea - I'm quite hot on nouns and verbs and the like, so would probably pick it up fairly easily.

Sociology looks interesting though, so that is a good idea - not very well though of though?
Original post by Smonnie
How would I get up to AAB without another A-level? And what do you mean by graduate schemes? (They are jobs which you go into once you graduate - so presumably they look for 2:1s, not 330 UCAS points)

They look at UCAS Points, law firms in especial.
Reply 16
They look at UCAS Points, law firms in especial.

Oh right. I could do with doing the degree first.
At this point you'd probably be better using your A-Level history and politics, to bring about a 'conversion to law'. There's no point in taking additional a-levels. You have 5 already, 6 if you include general studies. ABBBB is more than respectable...
Physics could be good because it shows problem solving skills which would be relevant to law too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by jammy4041
At this point you'd probably be better using your A-Level history and politics, to bring about a 'conversion to law'. There's no point in taking additional a-levels. You have 5 already, 6 if you include general studies. ABBBB is more than respectable...

The problem is that nobody looks at the last two Bs - they just consider that I've got ABB, which isn't good enough for the best law schools.

I wonder if I would be better off doing some sort of foundation degree type thing in Law, and getting top marks on that.

Quick Reply

Latest