The Student Room Group

Basic Mechanics/Moments

Hi, struggling a little bit with this question:
sasa.png

My working so far:
20150107_235239.jpg

I'm mostly struggling to understand the concept of the reaction at B, could someone please explain?
Reply 1
Original post by Antheran
Hi, struggling a little bit with this question:
sasa.png

My working so far:
20150107_235239.jpg

I'm mostly struggling to understand the concept of the reaction at B, could someone please explain?

I do not understand in the picture the 10kNm at the end
do you have a 2KN force applied and a clockwise couple of 10KNm acting on top of the force?
Reply 2
I'd assume that it's a clockwise moment acting on on top of the 2Kn force. Not sure why you're calling it a couple though?
Reply 3
I'd assume that it's a clockwise moment acting on on top of the 2Kn force. Not sure why you're calling it a couple though?

assuming there is nothing else connected to the lever...

the reaction at the joint is a force that the joint is "feeing".
Imagine this level was in contact with the ground at the joint how hard it would be pressing there.
Are you ok with the calculations?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
assuming there is nothing else connected to the lever...

the reaction at the joint is a force that the joint is "feeing".
Imagine this level was in contact with the ground at the joint how hard it would be pressing there.
Are you ok with the calculations?

I've posted a photo of my calculations, still not getting what you're trying to say. I'm mostly struggling with the concept of the reaction at B, I'm doing it as if it was at a 45 angle to the whole structure, but it's also at a 30 degrees angle? Not really getting the concept although it's probably very straight forward. Care to explain it a little bit more please?
Reply 5
I've posted a photo of my calculations, still not getting what you're trying to say. I'm mostly struggling with the concept of the reaction at B, I'm doing it as if it was at a 45 angle to the whole structure, but it's also at a 30 degrees angle? Not really getting the concept although it's probably very straight forward. Care to explain it a little bit more please?

firstrly taking moments about A should give you 16 KN force at B
Reply 6
then take moments about the far end point of the linkage

this will find you the vertical component of the reaction at B, acts vertically up at B
the horizontal component of the reaction has no moment

Quick Reply

Latest