The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Wouldn't worry, there are small-minded people worldwide, makes me embarrased to be white sometimes. Just accept that the world contains a fair proportion of idiots, Britain is no exception, and that these people are not worth a second thought.

To answer your question, the best way you can be accepted is just to integrate and embrace British culture (which it seems like you do anyway). Integrating doesn't mean abandoning religion, it just means living in harmony with our culture.
Original post by ParasiteRex
Maybe for somebody looking at the relationship between inbreeding and congenital disorders. You know, "interesting" in the sense of the Chinese Curse, "may you live in interesting times".
I absolutely was not familiar with that curse, many thanks for the enlightenment, and I do rather wish 2015 to be an interesting year for you.
Original post by queen-bee
So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

Italian and middle eastern you sound beautiful! I assume you have rich olive skin and black hair.
Reply 203
shame on all of you

This is stupid and disrespectful who care's about not fitting in. when 12 people have shot down like dogs at the hand of these mad men.

do any off you know their names??? NO!!!!
I don't

Alrighty. That's up to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
yeah it happens when people have had a drink sometimes especially they become more racist, but not directly racist. the lower class scum edl types are the worst i just laugh at them, they are bitter because they have no prospects and blame all immigrants for their job woes. im surprised that no one backed you up, but then again it is london so what do you expect
So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

Don't worry! Be strong! you are better than them, you didn't react to their lies and hate. Just be proud you have been bought up by good parents, obviously the same can't be said for the guys who attacked you.
Everybody was just looking,I think aswell with what happened in France,people didn't want any confrontation. I was almost about to cry to be honest,ive never felt so embarrassed in my whole entire life

I can't believe a lot of people just stand by the insecurity of this country is unbelievable I would of helped u if I was there.
yes,biomed is such a challenging course,not that you would know.

That is correct. I wouldn't know about it along with 100's of other inferior courses.
Original post by DorianGrayism
That is correct. I wouldn't know about it along with 100's of other inferior courses.

As a fellow medical student, probably at a superior uni to your own, I feel an obligation to inform you that you're acting like an idiot.
yeah it really is shocking, you probably didnt get helped due to londoners typically being more reserved and in a hurry to go about their own business/colder etc
Original post by oxymoronical
As a fellow medical student, probably at a superior uni to your own, I feel an obligation to inform you that you're acting like an idiot.

You probably are.

It is a shame that upon graduation, we are all in the same pool and it makes no difference.
Original post by DorianGrayism
You probably are.

It is a shame that upon graduation, we are all in the same pool and it makes no difference.

It definitely is a shame, I wouldn't want to be lumped with the likes of you.
Original post by oxymoronical
It definitely is a shame, I wouldn't want to be lumped with the likes of you.

And I reciprocate your feelings. Night.
I don't need to feel British to live in Britain, even if others don't see me as British I see it as a good thing. Diversity and being different is great :biggrin:
I'm half Finnish. People sometimes comment that I look different, never had anything negative said but definitely I think if you're anything other than European than you may have it worse in UK since people can just tell from your appearance. I feel more British but like that I have two nationalities, less boring :smile:
In a way it's mostly a race issue in the sense that a Russian or Polish person would be just as much of a foreigner and feel disconnected from us. Yet they wouldn't identified as being an outsider simply because they are white especially if they had an english accent.
Original post by elhm1800
My dear fellow seeing that you aren't under the influence of any narcotics you have no excuse. I fear that you may well lack what we call an intellect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further ad hominem.
Original post by elhm1800
My dear fellow seeing that you aren't under the influence of any narcotics you have no excuse. I fear that you may well lack what we call an intellect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is lacking an intellectual person?

The correct grammar is "I fear that you may well lack what we call intellect".

If you are going to insult someone, at least get it right.
Original post by holmes221
Italian and middle eastern you sound beautiful! I assume you have rich olive skin and black hair.

Not good enough for this country apparently :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending