The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stefano93
Agreed, +1.

We should meet up sometime :tongue:

And yeah OP, Laaaandan is honestly the best place to live and work.

They just jelly. Everyone knows outside zone 4 it's all the 'north' and mud huts with 50kb/s internet.
Great place to visit. Be a horrible place to live.
Too busy and stressful. I don't understand why anyone would want to live in an economical capital with everyone rushing around, and being completely overcrowded.
Because more money gets spent on the ****ing tube than anything else. You get free bikes whilst the rest of the country gets cuts and food bank reliance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Quite the opposite actually. Most English people are sick of migrant Labor filling job vacancies outside of London. This has pushed wages down to minimalistic levels. Its great for those migrating to the UK or capitalizing from cheap skilled Labor but for native Britons it is damaging their quality of life.

............ And that is why UKIP are making gains.

Immigrants aren't the ones paying your salary. Try being angry at your boss and/or capitalism for a change, instead of just "all foreigners".
Original post by DiddyDec
You get all of that in the countryside, apart from clubs, but then we have pubs.

You get nothing of that in the countryside. You get ****ty restaurants, one cinema showing Hollywood crap, an underfunded library. And cows. And narrow-minded, racist chavs. And sheep.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
You get nothing of that in the countryside. You get ****ty restaurants, one cinema showing Hollywood crap, an underfunded library. And cows. And narrow-minded, racist chavs. And sheep.

Diverse and Excellent restaurants? Check
Large Choice of Movies? Check (Something called the internet)
Culture (very broad word)? Check
Top Universities? Check
Clubs? Nope
Sport Events, have you never heard of a point to point? Check
Concerts, I forgot Glastonbury was held in London. Check
Interesting and Educated people for all around the world? Check
I live in London and it is too crowded, dirty, tourists everywhere, congested, expensive, unfriendly. But not everywhere.
Top Universities? Check
Clubs? Nope

Top unis: Most (excluding Oxbridge) are in London. Yes that are plenty of good unis that are not in London but the ones in the top 10 worldwide are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lou 22
Thanks :smile:, i would love to have a place in either Mayfair or Kensington just to stop at when I go but would need mega millions to get somewhere decent with space and that isn’t leasehold, I don’t see why I would pay millions for a place I have effectively rented for a alloted amount of time:facepalm:.

London is a really nice place but I dunno how they justify charging ridic prices for everything Β£3.50 for 500ml Oasis summer fruits like are they mental lol. Have thought of other places you could live?

True, those are the more expensive part of London though! Do you like living in Birmingham? Β£3.50 for an 500ml Oasis wtf, that's crazy lmao. Summer fruits is soooooo nice though!

I would ideally like to move abroad, maybe somewhere in Australia, Canada or Hong Kong. Bit of a random selection but haha idk. Maybe even California, at least the weather's always good. How about you? Thought of any places you would live?
Original post by Moonstruck16
Top unis: Most (excluding Oxbridge) are in London. Yes that are plenty of good unis that are not in London but the ones in the top 10 worldwide are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saying top universities is an incredibly broad phrase. In the original statement there was no definition for "top university".
Original post by Foo.mp3
Cost of living + inequality + immigration + alienation + isolation + lack of fraternity + crime + overcrowding/congestion = some reasons :dontknow:

Surely all the good stuff outweigh the bad? Just think of all the pretty girls you've met/are due to meet :tongue:

No, you have ****ty, run-down restaurants that serve only English cuisine (if you can call it that), the odd crappy curry or fried chicken joint.

Not the same as a good arthouse cinema.

If you count small exhibitions of unknown artists or the local folk festival as culture, then yes - but then you're also one to pity if that is enough for you in terms of culture.

Top Universities? Check

If you think Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, or Bath are 'the countryside', you have your definitions way off.

Have you ever heard of the Premier League or the ATP Masters?

Did you know that you can watch more and better bands at concerts in London in one more month than those that come to Glastonbury once a year, which also happens to be a muddy ****hole?

Nope, they go to large cities as that is where there is all of the above - oh, and money.

You seem to be a pretty ignorant redneck (well, all rednecks are ignorant) who has no idea what a large city actually offers.
Original post by ΠšΠ°Ρ‚Ρ
Immigrants aren't the ones paying your salary. Try being angry at your boss and/or capitalism for a change, instead of just "all foreigners".

Its a matter of supply and demand. Lets say there are 10 plumbers in a company. Those plumbers each earn a wage of Β£15 a hour. Then all of a sudden there is excess labor of plumbers in a certain place. The company we are talking about employs 5 more plumbers and cuts wages for all its workers by Β£5 a hour so the plumbers are now paid Β£10 a hour.
The company gets a increase in productivity and the majority of the workers get their wages reduced.

The problem is that open borders benefits those who own the means of production. Simple supply and demand.

This has happened all across the UK to the point where Business owners do not want to see increases in the min-wage. They actually want the min-wage abolished so they can see which EU workers will survive on less and see which workers end up going into free fall and becoming job centre slaves.

This is the result of globalism in rich countries. Globalism only really benefits the rich. It is not in workers interests.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is what the Corporations of London want to do to Britain.

1. Replace workers who strike with economic migrants from less privledged countries.
2. Build a nation of slave workers who are locked into a war of culture though their differences.
3. Lobby the EU Parliment to expand into poorer countries to increase supply of economic migrant.
4. Lobby the EU Parliment to remove all forms of social security for economic migrants.
5. Liquidate disabled British citizens by abolishing their social security and leaving them to vanish.
6. Create other Mega City hubs along the HS2 line to exepl slave workers to different districts.

This is there plan. There is no conspiracy theory going on here. You can apply this list/model to your current situation and you will see that I have made a rather good observation.

For example.

Excess troublesome Labor in London? No problem. Council sells council housing to US firm. Tenants get evicted and have to move outside of London to have some where to live. They then have to pay higher transport fees to get to work and lose some of their social connections. This makes life harder for them and reduces their will to collectively challenge against the system.

London is built on slavery.
I have lived in London and Glasgow and both cities are opposite to each other, I agree with most of the people London is very unsocial and expensive, also travelling from one corner to another is like hassle of travelling to another city. I love Glasgow for being peaceful and naturally enriched (although a bit crazy) but quiet.
Reply 176
I love all that London has to offer, I like the big city environment of everything going on in one place and the buzz it gives.

I'd like the experience of at least living in central London which is mainly why I wanted to go to Uni in London so badly... (that didn't happen but hey-ho) Not quite sure how realistic that will be given how it is expensive to live there.

The one thing I dislike is how London centrist this country is. Other cities have a lot to offer too but are often not that well known amongst tourists or even people here.
Where did you go exactly?Sounds very much like my kind of night out
Original post by ,,,,
True, those are the more expensive part of London though! Do you like living in Birmingham? Β£3.50 for an 500ml Oasis wtf, that's crazy lmao. Summer fruits is soooooo nice though!

I would ideally like to move abroad, maybe somewhere in Australia, Canada or Hong Kong. Bit of a random selection but haha idk. Maybe even California, at least the weather's always good. How about you? Thought of any places you would live?

Yeah thats true, I do but as you said I don’t want to live here all my life, so it would be nice to get away from here. It is really nice but not Β£3.50 nice that is just bonkers.

Somewhere in america, LA, California, Florida just somewhere that the weather would be better than Englands really :-).
Original post by lou 22

Somewhere in america, LA, California, Florida just somewhere that the weather would be better than Englands really :-).

Sweet, I need some good weather right about now :tongue: I'll catch you in California!!

Latest