The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
That is correct. I wouldn't know about it along with 100's of other inferior courses.

Don't worry,I'm an aspiring medic. I hope to catch up to your level sometime,in the not so distant future!
Original post by jazjaz
I am a so-called ethnic minority but have never really had problems. Except for one time when a woman at a bar called me a muslim. I have green eyes and dark blonde hair I'm half white (German) and half black (Cuban) so I looked mixed so I don't know what on earth she was thinking.

I'll be honest these terrorists pee me off not just because they are evil but it seems every time they do something in the name of their false god then other non-muslim minorities have to pay part of the backlash from the community and we can't hide behind the 'our religion is peaceful' banner either because it's not even our religion or culture!

I know :frown:
Original post by Ghost.
shame on all of you

This is stupid and disrespectful who care's about not fitting in. when 12 people have shot down like dogs at the hand of these mad men.

do any off you know their names??? NO!!!!

What are you trying to apply and are you saying we 'ethic minorities' should take the blame for the Paris killings?
Reply 223
Original post by queen-bee
What are you trying to apply and are you saying we 'ethic minorities' should take the blame for the Paris killings?

This sad event should be about remembering the victims. :cool:
Original post by Ghost.
This sad event should be about remembering the victims. :cool:

Who's to say we haven't?
Reply 225
Who's to say we haven't?

:lol: all the previous posts in this thread:rolleyes:
Original post by Ghost.
:lol: all the previous posts in this thread:rolleyes:

People were giving their opinion on the situation,doesn't mean they don't feel any sympathy for the dead victims in yesterday's attacks
Reply 227
People were giving their opinion on the situation,doesn't mean they don't feel any sympathy for the dead victims in yesterday's attacks

good for you ...have a cookie:tongue:
I have more time for your average "non native" British person who fully embraces British culture than I do your average "native" British person, I get a feeling of great pride when I see people of all colours waving the flag, or doing things that you would consider "British"

As for people who make no attempt to integrate in the slightest, I don't give a **** about them, and I wish they weren't here.

Simple as that. I think many people are more than willing to accept people from different cultures, and we should be multicultural, but revolving around one culture.

I know it's hard to say exactly what "British values" are, and people obviously love to make fun of Tory politicians when they say that but it is disingenuous, people know the sentiment of what they mean, and in my opinion it really is something that should be encouraged.
Original post by DiddyDec
He is lacking an intellectual person?

The correct grammar is "I fear that you may well lack what we call intellect".

If you are going to insult someone, at least get it right.

All right diddy keep it contained. Had no idea he had his girlfriend keeping tabs on the thread. Tell him its ok I didn't mean it:biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never ever seen an Italian/Middle Easter person :eek:
Original post by elhm1800
All right diddy keep it contained. Had no idea he had his girlfriend keeping tabs on the thread. Tell him its ok I didn't mean it:biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to get arsey just because you were wrong.
Eurgh. People are idiots. Am ashamed to be British myself because of this. Criticising individual Muslims IS racist (if indeed you are a Muslim and even if you are not) but criticising Islamic doctrine is not. All ridiculous ideas be they religious or not deserve ridicule but individual religious people are not the issue here. We are all fallible and should be very glad that is the case.
Original post by jaffacake111
Eurgh. People are idiots. Am ashamed to be British myself because of this. Criticising individual Muslims IS racist (if indeed you are a Muslim and even if you are not) but criticising Islamic doctrine is not. All ridiculous ideas be they religious or not deserve ridicule but individual religious people are not the issue here. We are all fallible and should be very glad that is the case.

Muslim = Religion

Muslim =/= Race

Also the OP is not Muslim.
Muslim = Religion

Muslim =/= Race

Also the OP is not Muslim.

Yes? I thought I made that clear. My point still stands - convince me otherwise?
Yes? I thought I made that clear. My point still stands - convince me otherwise?

Criticising individual Muslims IS racist (if indeed you are a Muslim and even if you are not)

You said the criticizing individual Muslims is racist. But it can't be as Muslim is not a race.
In northern ireland we have to deal with the protestant/catholic divide, just up the road from me a middle aged man, father of five, was dragged out of his house at 10:00 pm and was shot dead in his garden, this was at the start of the week.
You said the criticizing individual Muslims is racist. But it can't be as Muslim is not a race.

I know I am being ironic hence ... "Am ashamed to be British myself because of this."

Similarly... of course we have free will, we have no choice but to.

(Apparently my intended sarcasm doesn't come across well)

To clarify... of course Islam is not a race but attacking individual Muslims - and people who "appear" to be Muslim - IS Islamophobic. Attacking ridiculous ideas in any religion (like misogyny in Islam) IS NOT.

I oppose bigotry in all forms be they religiously motivated or otherwise. I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

Time and a place of course but ridiculous ideas demand ridicule be they religious or not. To do otherwise is to act as an enabling Mafia wife.
I know I am being ironic hence ... "Am ashamed to be British myself because of this."

Similarly... of course we have free will, we have no choice but to.

(Apparently my intended sarcasm doesn't come across well)

To clarify... of course Islam is not a race but attacking individual Muslims - and people who "appear" to be Muslim - IS Islamophobic. Attacking ridiculous ideas in any religion (like misogyny in Islam) IS NOT.

I oppose bigotry in all forms be they religiously motivated or otherwise. I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

Time and a place of course but ridiculous ideas demand ridicule be they religious or not. To do otherwise is to act as an enabling Mafia wife.

Sarcasm never comes across well in written pieces.

Yes it is Islamophobic.

You are very clear now with your views.
Sarcasm never comes across well in written pieces.

Yes it is Islamophobic.

You are very clear now with your views.

And now I am unclear on your views.

Do you really think that criticising Islamic doctrine is Islamophobic? I don't.

Change my mind?

Quick Reply

Latest