The Student Room Group

Where can I meet people around my age ? 19 year old male.

I'm a 19 year old guy not at university at the moment and my life is pretty lonely.

Most of my friends are of at uni, I have a part time job but everyone there is much older then me and not the type of person i'd be friends with out of work.

I'm loooking to make more friends of either sex really, wouldn't mind meeting more girls as I speak to very few out of work currently.

I go on the odd night out with the few friends I have and got with a hot girl or two but the girls there aren't exactly looking for relationships and it seems out of protocol for me to try and get numbers and date them as they probably wont even remember me in the morning. I've met a few nice guys in clubs that I get along with, but they tend to not want to meet out of a night time setting and hence not really friendship material.

I've been looking around at taking writing classes as it's always been an interest of mine and might help me meet like minded people. The prices are astounding, for any serious class its hundreds of pounds and the local cheap classes are frankly ridiculous (teaching people how to write a blog ...).

I also had a look at a meetup site, there are some pretty cool clubs on there but it tends to attract a much older crowd. I couldn't find a single club in my area for people around my age.

I've thought about maybe volunteering as it's often something I hear but I don't see how i'll make friends by volunteering in an old peoples home/ picking litter off the streets etc

Is there any time/cost cheap alternative people might be able to suggest ?

Scroll to see replies

Sports club (there must be free ones...)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Sports club (there must be free ones...)

I'm open to all manner of things but sport is one of the few things I really suck at and don't see myself having a good time there, is it really that good to meet people ?
I know it's a sport but skateboarding/rollerblading is a good social sport where ability isn't judged and my closest friends all came from the skatepark. It's free once you have something to roll on and people will help you learn and in turn you'll build a relationship with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
there are plenty of social groups for people your age, such as church, sports, even just going for a ramble.
it is harder for people in their twenties to find social groups.
Reply 5
Original post by Samdynamou
I know it's a sport but skateboarding/rollerblading is a good social sport where ability isn't judged and my closest friends all came from the skatepark. It's free once you have something to roll on and people will help you learn and in turn you'll build a relationship with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't really sound like me if im honest, but i'll consider it.

Original post by the bear
there are plenty of social groups for people your age, such as church, sports, even just going for a ramble.
it is harder for people in their twenties to find social groups.

I don't know if church is really an ideal place to make friends, when I used to go there it was mostly just old people singing dreary hymns and people talking about how great Jesus was.

I'm not so sure, around this age people tend to already have their friendship groups set in stone and everyone just goes on nights out and parties as they've had their first taste of freedom, which requires you to have friends in the first place. Uni is a massive oppurtunity to make friends but i'm not there this year.

If you have a look on meetup.com there are a plethora of social groups for people in their twenties, catering to all tastes. Book clubs, bar socials,theatre trips etc it just takes a bit of searching.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm open to all manner of things but sport is one of the few things I really suck at and don't see myself having a good time there, is it really that good to meet people ?

Haha, me too, i think that at sporty places you're going to meet sporty people?! Which sucks if you don't like sport!
Reply 7
I have a part time job but everyone there is much older then me and not the type of person i'd be friends with out of work.
That sounds like part of the problem.

I have been surprised to learn over the years how different people are between in work and out of it. Lazy thickos who are involved in everything. Nasty back-stabbers who do voluntary social work. Low-grade admin staff running local charities.

Few people enjoy their work and it shows in their in-work attitude; many of them compensate in their private life.

I go on the odd night out with the few friends I have and got with a hot girl or two but the girls there aren't exactly looking for relationships and it seems out of protocol for me to try and get numbers and date them as they probably wont even remember me in the morning. I've met a few nice guys in clubs that I get along with, but they tend to not want to meet out of a night time setting and hence not really friendship material.
Despite the advertising hype, pubs and clubs are not the places to go to make friends.

I've been looking around at taking writing classes as it's always been an interest of mine and might help me meet like minded people. The prices are astounding, for any serious class its hundreds of pounds and the local cheap classes are frankly ridiculous (teaching people how to write a blog ...).
Of course, because writing a blog is easy and never fails and there's nothing to learn. There's a thread on here from a few days ago from someone with a blog who is struggling; could you tell him everything there is to know about writing, finding material, presentation, marketing, networking, web hosting, spam-management?

The point of going to classes to meet people, is to meet people. Try evening school language classes; they are always full of totty, they are cheap and you have to talk to one another about all sorts as part of the class!

I also had a look at a meetup site, there are some pretty cool clubs on there but it tends to attract a much older crowd. I couldn't find a single club in my area for people around my age.
How many did you go to? How many times? Did you post on meetup.com to say "Hi, I'm Anonymous, aged 19, looking to learn about this stuff and maybe make some new friends in the area!" before you went? If not, try it, and go at least 3 times to each one. Each time post again "Hey, thanks for the meetup! See you next time!" to attract other lonely 19 year olds.

I've thought about maybe volunteering as it's often something I hear but I don't see how i'll make friends by volunteering in an old peoples home/ picking litter off the streets etc
Did you actually look at the volunteering opportunities? Litter-picking? Did you make that up? Look again on do-it.org and go and do something. Yes, most volunteers are crumblies but the rest tend to be totty. It is a great way to meet single, intelligent, young women ... and to be introduced to more. The weekend camps for the Waterways Recovery Group are priceless, an experience in themselves. And the totty there are fit too!

Yes. Get off your backside, get up, washed, dressed and go out there and actually do some of these things.
Reply 8
Original post by Simes
That sounds like part of the problem.

I have been surprised to learn over the years how different people are between in work and out of it. Lazy thickos who are involved in everything. Nasty back-stabbers who do voluntary social work. Low-grade admin staff running local charities.

Few people enjoy their work and it shows in their in-work attitude; many of them compensate in their private life.

Despite the advertising hype, pubs and clubs are not the places to go to make friends.

Of course, because writing a blog is easy and never fails and there's nothing to learn. There's a thread on here from a few days ago from someone with a blog who is struggling; could you tell him everything there is to know about writing, finding material, presentation, marketing, networking, web hosting, spam-management?

I don't think writing a sucessful blog is one of those things which can be taught, it simply takes good writing skill and the ability to express oneself quite clearly. Hopefully not going to get Blogging degrees in university any time soon.

The point of going to classes to meet people, is to meet people. Try evening school language classes; they are always full of totty, they are cheap and you have to talk to one another about all sorts as part of the class!

I understand that but at the same time since i'm investing time and effort into doing something, I should be interested in it at the very least. Thanks for the good suggestion, i've always wanted to learn another language. I've looked up some near me and the prices are ranging £180+ for a few weeks. This is way too much, I only work part time and i'm trying to save for Uni next year so I couldn't spend that much on one. I don't suppose you know any cheap sites as you said they are cheap ?

How many did you go to? How many times? Did you post on meetup.com to say "Hi, I'm Anonymous, aged 19, looking to learn about this stuff and maybe make some new friends in the area!" before you went? If not, try it, and go at least 3 times to each one. Each time post again "Hey, thanks for the meetup! See you next time!" to attract other lonely 19 year olds.

Well seeing as the clubs i've searched for list their members and some list explicit critera that the recipients be professionals above 25 I haven't had the oppurtunity to go to any. To start one up would require 5 people interested and a payment to the site.

Did you actually look at the volunteering opportunities? Litter-picking? Did you make that up? Look again on do-it.org and go and do something. Yes, most volunteers are crumblies but the rest tend to be totty. It is a great way to meet single, intelligent, young women ... and to be introduced to more. The weekend camps for the Waterways Recovery Group are priceless, an experience in themselves. And the totty there are fit too!

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked up volunteering oppurtunities through do-it and it's mostly oppurtunities to work with the elderly or work with kids, neither of which i'm particularly fond of. It did have one or two interesting opportunities regarding PR and social media, which i've bookmarked :smile: . Looking through Waterways to see if they have any oppurtunities near me, though I work weekends

Yes. Get off your backside, get up, washed, dressed and go out there and actually do some of these things.

Thanks dude, see my reply in bold
Reply 9
I don't know if you're still having this problem as it was a while ago, but I am the exact same, however I'm a girl... It's actually hard to meet new people when you don't play sports, I don't have many friends and the ones I do have don't like to go out very often so I can't meet friends that way. I know exactly how you feel...
I heard https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk is pretty good to meet people around the 18 19 area.
Reply 11
I'm a 19 year old guy not at university at the moment and my life is pretty lonely.

Most of my friends are of at uni, I have a part time job but everyone there is much older then me and not the type of person i'd be friends with out of work.

I'm loooking to make more friends of either sex really, wouldn't mind meeting more girls as I speak to very few out of work currently.

Heyyy I'm an 18 year old girl in the exact same boat,I planned to go to university this year but for personal reasons I am going next year instead, all my friends moved away apart from the odd few who I see occasionally but not much at all. I'm not sure what to do either tbh, I just want a fresh start. I'm gonna look for a new job for friends from work, I'm also thinking about going volunteering abroad in a big group of strangers on a programmes like gapforce where you can travel and make friends that way, tbh I don't really know how tsr website works but if you can message me please do :smile:
Reply 12
at that age i joined a church trying to meet people. BIG mistake, it turned out to be some cult like thing, and when I stopped going they started turning up at my house looking for me..........

meetup.com isn't good for people in their teens either, i remember at mid 20's often being the youngest or one of the youngest there

not sure what to suggest tbh, some youth clubs take 19 year olds, but i think 19 is really the final cut-off.......
Hey- I'm in exactly the same position (18 year old female, was going to uni but going next year instead now)! Where are you from - I'm round about London - hoping to do volunteering and get some work on the side but I really have no clue what I'm doing right now haha
I have the same problem. I'm 19, in Essex and in my second year of uni. Due to the nature of my degree (NHS), I live at home because half of my year is on hospital placement, so I don't have the typical uni experience. My friends are all over the country at their uni so I don't see them loads, and I don't drink so I'm not massively into partying. I do struggle to take initiative in a social situation and so going alone to clubs etc would be a struggle for me. I don't have a great deal of confidence, but I really do want to make some new friends.
(edited 6 years ago)
TSR, the student room. Population of 90% students. Would recommend.
Hey I’m in the same position didn’t go into uni, I wanted a gap year, but I’m from Newcastle, then moved down to the Watford area so I could, get the train into London. Because I write songs and I’m good at singing and that’s what I want to do with my life and there’s nothing up there, for me:
Reply 17
is anyone on this based in Bristol by any chance?
Reply 18
On YouTube
i suck atsports to dont feel bad

Latest

Trending

Trending