The Student Room Group

"Less taxing" A-levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smonnie
The problem is that nobody looks at the last two Bs - they just consider that I've got ABB, which isn't good enough for the best law schools.

I wonder if I would be better off doing some sort of foundation degree type thing in Law, and getting top marks on that.

True. That is why even the top universities would want their students to do no more than 4 a-levels. Any more than that, and the fear, and it has been realized here, is that you are then spreading yourself out too thinly.

That said, ABB is very, very good. You're looking at a solid second-tier with those sorts of results, and there is still no point in taking another a-level with those results.
Reply 21
Original post by jammy4041
True. That is why even the top universities would want their students to do no more than 4 a-levels. Any more than that, and the fear, and it has been realized here, is that you are then spreading yourself out too thinly.

That said, ABB is very, very good. You're looking at a solid second-tier with those sorts of results, and there is still no point in taking another a-level with those results.

I had lots of family and personal trouble at the time, too, particularly going into A2 year, so did next to no work for Year 13 - and still got those grades!

Lots of people are saying that there is no point doing any more A-levels - but two more A-levels at grade A would give me AAA (plus four Bs!) So why isn't there any point in doing that?
Original post by Smonnie
I had lots of family and personal trouble at the time, too, particularly going into A2 year, so did next to no work for Year 13 - and still got those grades!

Lots of people are saying that there is no point doing any more A-levels - but two more A-levels at grade A would give me AAA (plus four Bs!) So why isn't there any point in doing that?

Firstly, from a financial standpoint, as it would cost money to take any exam, yet alone two a-levels.

Secondly, there's no point in doing any a-level that could be considered weaker than French and English Literature. You have already pointed out that universities ignore your French a-level. If you're going to take some a-levels to get on to a law program, you need to make sure that they are relevant.

Thirdly, your entire premise is based on the assumption that you will get two more As from your a-levels. It's not a guarantee, despite your academic talents. To be honest, you'd get more mileage out of retaking your politics a-level.

Finally. You already have the bases covered. ABB in History/Politics/English Literature sets you up well for a very, very good law degree from a very good program run by an excellent university. Yeah sure...it will not be Oxford or Cambridge...but there are other universities. You can always get internships, and if necessary, do your post grad at another university.
Reply 23
Original post by jammy4041
Firstly, from a financial standpoint, as it would cost money to take any exam, yet alone two a-levels.

Secondly, there's no point in doing any a-level that could be considered weaker than French and English Literature. You have already pointed out that universities ignore your French a-level. If you're going to take some a-levels to get on to a law program, you need to make sure that they are relevant.

Thirdly, your entire premise is based on the assumption that you will get two more As from your a-levels. It's not a guarantee, despite your academic talents. To be honest, you'd get more mileage out of retaking your politics a-level.

Finally. You already have the bases covered. ABB in History/Politics/English Literature sets you up well for a very, very good law degree from a very good program run by an excellent university. Yeah sure...it will not be Oxford or Cambridge...but there are other universities. You can always get internships, and if necessary, do your post grad at another university.

They don't ignore French on basis of it being unrelated. They just only make an offer based on the 'strongest three' - so that's History and then any of my other A-levels. The cost to sit the exams is £80 per exam - as I say, I'm working full time, so this isn't really a consideration for me.

Politics, there is a lot of content and a lot of theorists to learn, plus I would be more motivated to an entirely fresh subject.

History, Law and one from Economics/Sociology/English Language is a fairly good mix, I think, were I to achieve AAA or higher. I know there are no guarantees, but I also know that I am more than capable. And I think that those subjects, coupled with my Politics/French/Psychology/English Literature, should stand me in good stead. Based on my conversations with Corpus Christi, they would be happy with that sort of offer - and I've already done an Oxford Law interview, so I know a little bit about what to expect were I to reapply there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm considering other things. I'm considering doing an accelerated two year LLB at Bucks, Herts, BPP or CoL. Or a three year distance learning / part time degree at Nottingham Trent or Birkbeck.

It's just about trying to get my head around what I want, and whether it's about having a law degree in the shortest available time, from any old place, or going to a top end Law School. I wouldn't really consider doing a three year course at a second-tier establishment, if I'm honest - I'm starting to get too long in the tooth - and besides, I don't need four or five months off per year.
Original post by Smonnie

It's just about trying to get my head around what I want, and whether it's about having a law degree in the shortest available time, from any old place, or going to a top end Law School. I wouldn't really consider doing a three year course at a second-tier establishment, if I'm honest - I'm starting to get too long in the tooth - and besides, I don't need four or five months off per year.

This is a key point. To get a good chance of landing a training contract or pupillage these days you are best off either getting into a top uni for law or doing another (less competitive) degree at a top uni and then doing the conversion course. The second option would take longer, but some people work part time during the conversion course. You can also work during uni holidays - temping at a law firm (many of whom are crying out for secretarial help) is a good way of getting experience.
Reply 25
I think I'll stick to my original plan of just doing the Law A-Level as a background, and then applying for the two year BPP course, which is by far the cheapest offering as well as one of the quickest. Then if I still feel the need to study at a prestigious establishment, I can do a Masters elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest