The Student Room Group

Should I break up with him?

I have a boyfriend of 5 months and we don't seem to be getting along lately! We always argue over petty things and it ruins my mood when I'm with him because he just expects me to suddenly feel better in the next five minutes and if I don't he will complain how im always moody, boring and just spoiling the day for him when instead of ignoring me he should try to cheer me up and lift my mood. Another thing is he wants me to text him every single day, no excuses and if I don't apparently it shows that I don't care about him and then he starts having a go at me. He wants me to compliment him all the time and to make him feel wanted, like if he bought something then I should ask for pics and show interest, I seriously think he's acting like the girl in this relationship, he also tries to make me jel by telling me he wants to go on holiday to Vegas but when I don't react and tell him to go and have fun, he gets annoyed and starts complaining how I should get involved more in what he does and ask who he's going out with and pleading him to go..srsly I was hurt deep down, but how does he expect me to chase after him when if he cared about me he should have offered me to come with him?! I'm fed up with his childish games. He also controls me, by telling me how to dress, talk and to behave more like a lady..and he wants me to change for him, so it shows he can't accept me for who I am. Hes also quite shallow and believes there's nothing wrong with plastic surgery if its done to please ur lover, because when the relationship gets boring, a girl needs to spice it up so the guy doesn't look elsewhere, I jus think he is with me because of my looks which saddens me. Other than that he does care about me and showers me with expensive gifts all the time because he is really rich and he bought a house recently, but I don't feel like we get along much and it's emotionally draining. This guy is also thinking of a future with me but I don't see it happening, we are too different :frown:
BDump.
Ruunnnnn.
Reply 3
it sounds like you guys won't last: if you don't see a future with him then either tell him that, or break it off now before you both get hurt twice as much
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Talk to him about it, then decide. If you really feel he is too over controlling and over expecting, then its not worth sticking for.
Reply 5
Original post by Sophyla
you have NO idea about OPs situation, don't just assume that she is as fickle as you.

OP, it sounds like you guys won't last: if you don't see a future with him then either tell him that, or break it off now before you both get hurt twice as much

Original post by EnolaGay
Talk to him about it, then decide. If you really feel he is too over controlling and over expecting, then its not worth sticking for.

Original post by EnolaGay

Thanks, I will find a way to end things smoothly..but I want to end it in good terms and find the right time
Reply 6
If you're on an Internet forum asking this question then the answer is obvious. He's not making you happy and in turn this will mean he isn't happy, either. Your OP basically listed a string of things you don't like - time to walk away. Better now than several months down the line when you've worn each other down, regardless whether it's the "right time".
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, I will find a way to end things smoothly..but I want to end it in good terms and find the right time

Do you really? Or are you just prevaricating to avoid "the talk?" Im not accusing just trying to make you question your reasoning

There is no right time and chances are it wont be on good terms. Ok you can pick a moment thats not as bad as others - Him "my mom just died." You, "Im breaking up with you." But its better to do it sooner than later. And its unlikely to go smoothly. Just remember why your doing it. And once you started the conversation, no matter what they say dont backtrack and change your mind. Breaking up is not easy but if your not happy then get out

Frankly he sounds like an insecure little boy whos insecurity is turning into control.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Andaxay
If you're on an Internet forum asking this question then the answer is obvious. He's not making you happy and in turn this will mean he isn't happy, either. Your OP basically listed a string of things you don't like - time to walk away. Better now than several months down the line when you've worn each other down, regardless whether it's the "right time".

You are right..and the thing is he is talking about marriage at this stage and I find it intimidating. I'll probably tell him not to contact me for a week because I need the time and space to think things through. Maybe we'll miss each other? He seems like a genuine guy but he has ALOT of expectations. He either accepts me for who I am or it won't last
Reply 9
Original post by silverbolt
Are you serious? Full of it? Or just bitter?

Do you really? Or are you just prevaricating to avoid "the talk?" Im not accusing just trying to make you question your reasoning

There is no right time and chances are it wont be on good terms. Ok you can pick a moment thats not as bad as others - Him "my mom just died." You, "Im breaking up with you." But its better to do it sooner than later. And its unlikely to go smoothly. Just remember why your doing it. And once you started the conversation, no matter what they say dont backtrack and change your mind. Breaking up is not easy but if your not happy then get out

Frankly he sounds like an insecure little boy whos insecurity is turning into control.

The thing is I want this to be a mutual breakup, he knows that we are incompatible, but he is adamant that he could change me. He is also the first man to be in a relationship with me so I am quite inexperienced, but I might go for no contact for a couple of days and see where this goes.
The thing is I want this to be a mutual breakup, he knows that we are incompatible, but he is adamant that he could change me. He is also the first man to be in a relationship with me so I am quite inexperienced, but I might go for no contact for a couple of days and see where this goes.

Just be brutally honest and tell him you don't think it's working, it's better than being stuck in a trapped relationship in which you clearly are in.
10/10 get rid. ridiculously needy yet controlling?
dude, bail.

Sorry now your taking the easy way out, making him want it as much as you. If you dont want to be in a relationship anymore then woman up and say so.

also hes trying to change you. Look, no one has the right to change anybody, if your not what he wanted he shouldnt have gone out with you in the first place. You are your own person with your own beliefs and wants - not an extension of your partner
Original post by silverbolt
Sorry now your taking the easy way out, making him want it as much as you. If you dont want to be in a relationship anymore then woman up and say so.

also hes trying to change you. Look, no one has the right to change anybody, if your not what he wanted he shouldnt have gone out with you in the first place. You are your own person with your own beliefs and wants - not an extension of your partner

Lold at "woman up" but you are right, i will muster up the courage and do this, thanks for your input.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending